advertisement

Isobariks in Leeds/West Yorks......anyone have 'em!!??

Tonewheelkev

...I can dream!!
A bit of a long shot perhaps....but have a hankering to actually hear (having only heard about them) a pair of these Linn Isobariks.
Anyone in Leeds/West Yorks. able/willing to share the joy, and have me come and listen to 'em???

I'm very clean and presentable, and happy to agree to any required aspects of social distancing:)

Many thanks to David for his demo today of what the Isobariks can actually do!
Clarity, detail, power and slam in abundance.
Totally staggering....I was blown away TBH :)

The system I would be contemplating to go with the Briks...would be passive, and hugely less sophisticated than David's......Exposure VI PSU / VII Pre into 2 X JLH 80w monoblocs.

Superb system David...and really appreciate your attention today,
........think I'll be looking out for the right pair for me:D

Many thanks to David for his demo today of what the Isobariks can actually do!
Clarity, detail, power and slam in abundance.
Totally staggering....I was blown away TBH :)

The system I would be contemplating to go with the Briks...would be passive, and hugely less sophisticated than David's......Exposure VI PSU / VII Pre into 2 X JLH 80w monoblocs.

Superb system David...and really appreciate your attention today,
........think I'll be looking out for the right pair for me:D

Hi (Tonewheel)kev

I wish you luck with your search for Isobariks, these can be great speakers. (Having used them for over 25 years)

Could I offer a word of caution though, If you are planning to run them passive, I would really advise you to try to get a listen to some passive briks before you take the plunge.

If you have only heard them active, you could be a bit disappointed, as run active they are in a different league.
You may not be able to achieve as much of the "detail, clarity, power and slam" you have heard listening to the active version.

Although I'm sure many people run passive briks and are extremely happy with them. But that is not what you have heard.

These speakers although they all look similar, can sound very different. Especially in a "hugely less sophisticated system". They are very system dependant and can sound fantastic or not so great in the wrong set up.

As an analogy (as we are talking 1970s-1990s technology), if you were going to buy a 1600cc Sierra it wouldn't be advisable to test drive an RS Cosworth and think you were getting a similar vehicle. (Maybe a bit extreme as an example, but please listen again before you buy).

Kind Regards

Rich.

Hi (Tonewheel)kev....
If you have only heard them active, you could be a bit disappointed, as run active they are in a different league.
You may not be able to achieve as much of the "detail, clarity, power and slam" you have heard listening to the active version.

Although I'm sure many people run passive briks and are extremely happy with them. But that is not what you have heard.

These speakers although they all look similar, can sound very different. Especially in a "hugely less sophisticated system". They are very system dependant and can sound fantastic or not so great in the wrong set up.

As an analogy (as we are talking 1970s-1990s technology), if you were going to buy a 1600cc Sierra it wouldn't be advisable to test drive an RS Cosworth and think you were getting a similar vehicle. (Maybe a bit extreme as an example, but please listen again before you buy).

Kind Regards

Rich.

Thanks Rich...I'm sure your analogy is spot on!:)
I've been trying to suss out if the JLH Monoblocs I'm thinkin' of using are suited to the task of driving Isobariks....and so far, this is emerging is a definite NO!!
Think I'm stuck with the passive config.....suppose it would be a good idea to try to discover what the JLH's are capable of driving properly. (Fancied something 'big box' that was capable of going down!!)

I run a pair passive with a CB NAP160 in the extruded casework. I enjoy them a lot and feel the amp can drive them (boltdown 160 stuggles a bit though). They are fitted with the 4th order crossover which I'm relaibly told was designed to make them easier to drive.

I like the simplicity of the system but I've never had the pleasure of hearing them active.

They are an absolute c### to install though and why they are basically a fixture of the house now.

I’ve had my Isobariks since 1983, LP12, Ittok, Asak T, 32, Snaps & 250. Had this system till 2014, moved onto, Grad1/ TPX2 and Witch Hat moonlight mono amps. By this time the Linn LP 12 was transformed to a Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Cirkus, Armeggedon, Aro, Kiseki and Trampolin 2. Phono stage is the Paradise extremely happy with this set up the monos drive the Isobariks effortlessly.

Regards,

Martin

I’ve had my Isobariks since 1983, LP12, Ittok, Asak T, 32, Snaps & 250. Had this system till 2014, moved onto, Grad1/ TPX2 and Witch Hat moonlight mono amps. By this time the Linn LP 12 was transformed to a Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Cirkus, Armeggedon, Aro, Kiseki and Trampolin 2. Phono stage is the Paradise extremely happy with this set up the monos drive the Isobariks effortlessly.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I am sure your set up is great , and am pleased that you are happy with it.

There would have been be no point in Linn manufacturing Passive Isobariks for all those years if they couldn't sound good. As I said, I'm sure many people use them and are extremely happy with them.

I wasn't in any way dissing Passive Briks, I merely wanted to point out to Kev that if he is going to use them passive, he should listen to them passive first before he buys them.

He went and heard them for the first and only (maybe) time, in a really good active set up, and was blown away, he might not be able to achieve anything like that level of performance with a single stereo amp through a passive crossover.

On the other hand he could be delighted with them, I really hope he is, but if he listens to them passive before he buys them, he will have a much better idea of what he is getting for his money, rather than listening to an active set up, (a completely different ball game) and jumping in with both feet.

Kind Regards,
Rich.

Good Morning All,

I fully support Rich.'s observations.

My purchase of Isobariks in 1988 was something of a leap of faith driven as they were by a simple pre-amp/ single power amp, it's been a long journey to where I am now.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for inputs...as O/P, I've now come to the conclusion that now isn't the time to go for the Briks.
Now wondering what might work well in a passive system with the JLH 80W mosfet Monoblocs.?
(That's probably a topic for another thread perhaps)
Thinking 'Big Box' here....why not, as I'm a Man Alone!! :)

Thanks for inputs...as O/P, I've now come to the conclusion that now isn't the time to go for the Briks.
Now wondering what might work well in a passive system with the JLH 80W mosfet Monoblocs.?
(That's probably a topic for another thread perhaps)
Thinking 'Big Box' here....why not, as I'm a Man Alone!! :)
I would seriously look at active speakers, can be a more cost effective solution. I love my ATC40S, very different to briks but worth investigating another alternative.

I would seriously look at active speakers, can be a more cost effective solution. I love my ATC40S, very different to briks but worth investigating another alternative.
Aaaagghh...you appear to be pointing me towards a £3750 speaker pair!!!
Many Thanks.....but Over...and OUT!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

advertisement

Back