advertisement

My Next Car?

It’s a lovely looking car and I think the decider will be the ride- slight concern about the lower, firmer suspension and less tall tyres on the AMG line on today’s pot holed roads. Would appreciate your own experience Steve.

I've seen it said by some folks that they find the AMG-line suspension too firm but that's not been our experience with our cars (our SLK is also the AMG trim level) and I find the ride on my car is good, as is the handling. I've not driven the Sport trim level though.

Last edited:
I've seen it said by some folks that they find the AMG-line suspension to firm but that's not been our experience with our cars (our SLK is also the AMG trim level) and I find the ride on my car is good, as is the handling. I've not driven the Sport trim level though.
The AMG-line suspension is fine it's 'proper' AMG suspension which is a bit firmer.
Ah, good. It was my Audi driving friend putting the seeds of doubt in my mind last night on the phone...

Hi George

The latest Skoda Citigo is all electric. It has a real range of well over 100 miles. The base version is £17k, but that lacks high-speed charging, so you'd probably want the next one up for your occasional long journeys. Or there's a Renault Zoe with a real range of around 200 miles. I'm not sure the Microlino is a long-distance car. Nor is the Citigo really, but it would be more tolerable. Most electric cars will do a quick en-route charge in less than an hour: a four hour charge is a joke.

Or pretty much any second-hand electric car will get you to your nearest town and back, and be a lot cheaper, even if you have to hire another car sometimes.

Kind regards

- Garry

I remember my MIL was nuts on a VW e Up but it was 21k , this was a few years years ago !! crazy price , at the time it would have bought a audi q2 , thanks goodness she never got one

This is a nice colour -

IMG_26948-large.jpg

Takes me back too. An Isetta 300+ was my first car, in 1966. It had a single-cylinder BMW engine, and it was always a bit of a struggle to engage reverse. I drove into a pub car park one evening, parked facing the wall, and couldn't get out the door or get reverse, so I had to climb out of the sunroof, then drag it round by the front bumper. Happy days...

Never had the reverse problem with mine, great car I thought, still do.
Think I got mine about 1967.
Isetta by A60man, on Flickr

I'm tempted by an E92 M3 as an occasional use second car to supplement the 2 litre diesel workhorse... must be my age?

IMG_0083-scaled.jpg

Another convertible for us, no idea which one, hopefully the present one will go on a bit longer, and no doubt the choices will also change. We prefer as eco as poss so will wait and see.

I see that Fiat have announced the Panda Hybrid. A 'pocket-sized SUV'. At last I can assuage my guilt over the RS6

I admit I like some Porsche's, but I cant help remembering the joke that starts:
'What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine...?"

I’ve a vw up! I live in the city and it’s the most sensible car I’ve had for years. Even better my employer pays me a decent car allowance to use it on their behalf and I save a ton of money by not paying any BIK. I don’t actually do many business miles either. Would be very happy to have an electric version but I don’t have a drive And also London doesn’t have charging really sorted .

I’d love a bike but the roads here are dangerous. Two have gone under lorries just around the corner within 12 months.

The Messerschmitt didn't need a reverse gear. They were all reverse gears. You just start the engine backwards.

My Bond was equipped with a Dynastart which would allow me to start the engine backwards when required.

advertisement

Back