advertisement

Thread to Get Cancelled

Todd’s a bit clueless when it comes to Beethoven sonatas.

And he likes the limp wristed Wilhelm Kempf. Artistic my big toe nail.

This is addressed straight at TonyL: most modern classical music from Ligeti through Stockhausen and on to the present is unlistenable tripe. The new music show on Radio 3 is wall to wall crap. What's wrong with a tune, a melody?

You are really maxing out your forum image as an aging, out-of-touch Marxist professor :)

what's even funnier is that, when i realized i'd got it all wrong, i immediately (albeit vaguely) remembered YOU explaining the partridge character to me about 15+ years ago, which i had obviously/mainly forgotten.

to be fair though, i'm actually the only person in all of north america who could pick the real one out of a police line-up that included david cassidy and the guy who played mister/reuben kincaid. similarly, i'm the only one who (sort of) knows who robbie williams is.

people who claim to enjoy stuff like free-form jazz, alfred schnittke or piere boulez are just posing as being more sophisticated than the rest of us.

i was going to throw elvis costello into that mix, but he's so awful, there has to be another explanation.

All person who like Elvis Costello do so because he reinforces their belief that everything is crap.

Reactions: vuk
<timeout>

can you please explain? something to do with larry todd? BBC?

</timeout>

On the classical music forum there is a chap called Todd who's self-appointed mission is to review every complete cycle of all Beethoven's piano sonatas that have ever been recorded.

On the classical music forum there is a chap called Todd who's self-appointed mission is to review every complete cycle of all Beethoven's piano sonatas that have ever been recorded.

thank you. i will now attempt a tangent in the most popular thread since "my new razor':

This thread has become tiresome.

Such is the nature of these things. My fondest time online was the old, now defunct, Guardian forums where there was a whole section devoted to silly forum games and general whimsy. Its success was a function of the people who were unusually smart and funny (like me!) and the fact that the people who didn't like that sort of thing went off back to the News & Politics section.

advertisement

Back