advertisement

Steak n potatoes

I surrender, but unless you got some 18 month Comté from a local farm, you haven’t tasted really good one, I promise. Possibly with some Château-Chalon Savagnin.
But yeah, Cheddar can be superb too.

Nice to have so much choice. I love Comte but a good mature Cheddar doesn’t embarrass itself in such company.

Where they do raw milk (if that’s your thing).

yes they do.

My friend (artist) has a studio there.

Another friend (artist) has had access to the underground tunnels at Welbeck. Absolutely bonkers.

I know that place very well. Friends have had many exhibitions at the Harley Gallery, one was due this summer, but I think it has been delayed.

The farm shop is very expensive, but some tasty stuff. Bizarrely, garlic is very cheap!

I personally think the problem comparing say Comte to Cheddar is that Cheddar has a huge range of tastes and textures as it has no protected designation of origin resulting in any manufacturer calling their cheese Cheddar. The rules and regulations to produce Comte ensures it has a consistent taste and texture. If it doesn’t meet the standard it can’t be called Comte. With only 175 manufacturers this ensures the standards.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comté_cheese

I love cheddar but there are some hideous versions sold. Hence my preference for Black Bomber, which is made in Wales!

Also, why do people only say mature cheddar is decent. What's wrong with a mild one too?
It's all a matter of taste but once you've sampled a decent mature cheddar I'm not sure you'd be desperate to eat mild cheddar again.

yes they do.

My friend (artist) has a studio there.

Another friend (artist) has had access to the underground tunnels at Welbeck. Absolutely bonkers.
It’s a nice place with a good exhibition centre. We love their breads also, especially the sourdough. Great with their chilli jam and cheese. They had a burglary recently so their museum was closed for a time.

It's all a matter of taste but once you've sampled a decent mature cheddar I'm not sure you'd be desperate to eat mild cheddar again.
Not me.Subtlety is also important.

A quality Leicester is another face of mine. Never gets a mention.

Also, why do people only say mature cheddar is decent. What's wrong with a mild one too?

I heard on a food/science programme (sometime in the last year) that extra mature cheddar doesn't melt as well as mild cheddar, e.g. on toast. ? maybe summat to do with fat content?

I had gone full extra mature cheddar thinking it would taste better within recipes, but since hearing the cheese news, we always have a block of 'ordinary' chedddar for cooking purposes.

It’s a nice place with a good exhibition centre. We love their breads also, especially the sourdough. Great with their chilli jam and cheese. They had a burglary recently so their museum was closed for a time.

Yes, the theft was from the Portland collection. A tiara.

When the museum reopens the display cabinet that the item was stolen from will be on display.

(Wife is explaining this to me right now...). Apparently the thieves used an oxy-acetylene torch of the kind that usually only the emergency services have access to.

Museum expert Wife informs me that the museum will open on the 1st of August and that the collection is well worth seeing with some rare paintings etc.

Thanks for this info. I look forward to seeing it when I next visit. I moved to Worksop from Dewsbury some years ago and really love the surrounding Dukeries. Spent much time taking walks through Clumber recently and it’s been nice to further acquaint ourselves. One of my favourite places nearby is Laxton which has a lovely pub and great Sunday meal. I also like popping to the White Horse for a pint of the black stuff before taking in a film at the cinema. Hope it survives the Covid as it’s just a short walk for us and one of our favourite things to do.

I heard on a food/science programme (sometime in the last year) that extra mature cheddar doesn't melt as well as mild cheddar, e.g. on toast. ? maybe summat to do with fat content?

I had gone full extra mature cheddar thinking it would taste better within recipes, but since hearing the cheese news, we always have a block of 'ordinary' chedddar for cooking purposes.
Is that a last edition VFR750?

Is that a last edition VFR750?

:)

I think so. It was a P reg.
I had after-market stainless pipes and a raised can so one could see the back wheel/looks cooler. Also the baffle was easy to remove, the burble of the V4 gave me a semi...

Absolutely loved that motorbike. After my accident, I sold it for peanuts as I couldn't stand to see it anymore. It has took me years to even look at the photographs of me riding.
I have some professionally shot pics, as I did write for RiDE magazine (briefly :()

The image is me at Cadwell Park.

:)

I think so. It was a P reg.
I had after-market stainless pipes and a raised can so one could see the back wheel/looks cooler. Also the baffle was easy to remove, the burble of the V4 gave me a semi...

Absolutely loved that motorbike. After my accident, I sold it for peanuts as I couldn't stand to see it anymore. It has took me years to even look at the photographs of me riding.
I have some professionally shot pics, as I did write for RiDE magazine (briefly :()

The image is me at Cadwell Park.
What happened?

What happened?

pm if you want a brief version. I think it was all in the magazine back in 2008, not sure as I was in a coma. I did write a small piece post event which was published in the mag.

Not the easiest memory for me.

advertisement

Back