advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

How badly designed are Naim amps that this is necessary?! If indeed it is...

I've never known a solid state amplifier require a warmup period of more than a few seconds. If the standby current is measured in the hundreds of Watts then you're just wasting electricity by leaving it on all the time. A device consuming 290 Watts 24/7 is going to cost £28-£30 per month at the usual UK electricity prices!
It’s not

It isn't a myth, Naim sounds better when turned on the whole time.

Leaving a amplifier turned on doesn't make it necessarily wear out faster (maybe except for a pure class A amp). Turning an amplifier on an of is also bad for its lifetime.
So you think they are that badly designed. A blind test will prove they are not. They may be so badly designed that turning them on and and off significantly shortens their life, I don’t know, but leaving anything on all the time is a guarantee to a shorter lifespan of the parts therein.

So you imply that most of the Naim users who let there stuff switched on are deaf or stupid?

As I said, turning on and off is doing more damage to many electrical stuff compared to let it run the whole time.

This has nothing to do with bad design in my eyes.

You can say the same things about bulbs, car engins, etc..

So does your bulb/engine last longer if you switch it on when you need it or if you leave it on/running all the time?

Sounds about right. My vintage Pioneer M-22 with 30 pure class A watts per side consumes a steady 280W.

I'd quite like to try a Luxman L-590AXII or an Accuphase A-36 / A-45.
The Pioneer M-22 looks pretty solid.

I do not have experience with many high end integrateds such as £19k Vitus SIA-025 mk2 or amps in the similar price bracket. The Luxman L-590AXII is the costliest integrated amp that I have tried and this is the first time I'm experiencing a "complete" sound. In many ways the Luxman has surpassed the quality and performance of the costlier Naim pre/power which I also happen to own when used with the Marten Duke 2. In the simplest choice of words, it just sounds right as nothing sticks out like a sore thumb, no fireworks of any sort. Composed and assured, good clarity with a clear window, no smearing of notes. Once you experience this sort of quality, there isn't much reason to waste your time with integrateds in the £1,000 to 2,000 price range. I do hope the Harbeth Super HL5+ will overturn the result though.

Some early photos of the Luxman (it's now moved to the bottom of the rack). It's really massive. The Sonneteer Orton and Naim looked like a toy next to the Luxman.

IMG-20200703-182415.jpg

IMG-20200703-174950.jpg

Nice! Depends on the speaker, of course. Both my speakers only need a few watts to work well (Ocellia Calliope, / Opera Consonance Horns) so a Pass F3 with 15 watts Class A is more than adequate.

(For a split-second, looking at your pics, I thought it was a Huawei Amp! Resist the US propaganda!)

Would like to ask those who own Luxman and Accuphase amps. What interconnects do you use to connect your sources? Do you use single-ended or balanced? Has anyone compared balanced and single-ended and is there a noticeable difference between the two?

I connected my DAC to the 590AXII with both single ended and balanced and switched between to assess. The balanced was significantly better and I disconnected the single ended and continue to use the balanced.

DAC is an Opera Consonance Reference 8 Pro 25th anniversary http://opera-consonance.com/products/digital/Reference8pro.html

Cables were Osborn Silverlink (both single ended and balanced) https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/product-page/osborn-silverlink-pure-silver-interconnects

So does your bulb/engine last longer if you switch it on when you need it or if you leave it on/running all the time?
Leaving hifi switched on permanently was certainly a thing once (not sure if it was part of flat earth shamanism). My current phono stage (Ayre) has no off switch and it’s predecessor, a Densen DP Drive went back at least twice to fix its soldered on mini light bulbs after they failed ( it has a novel lamp+ photocell power arrangement for first gain stage in order to reduce psu noise). Leaving it permanently on killed the lamps and the company pointed this out.
Also reminds me - the linn Valhalla is always ‘on’ and those two fat power resisters get as hot as hell.

advertisement

Back