advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

With Naim you need to leave the amps powered up all the time for optimal sound quality as it takes about 3 to 4 days for the amps to reach optimal sound quality when powering up from cold. The Luxman only requires about 30 minutes.

Accuphase don't use big power supplies, the E650 ...

That's not what it says in the techical info (more accurately described as "sales blurb") here:
http://www.accuphase.com/model/e-650.html

Mind you
"E-650 takes the mono block construction. Large power
transformer and capacitors are positioned between L and
R channel separated the power amplifier blocks."

Not sure how one transformer and 2 main smoothing caps per stereo amp can be construed to be mono blocks?!

Also note the "drastically" increased supply caps from the E600: 47KuF to 50KuF.
The E-600 seems to be about £8.3K and the E-650 about £10.6K - now that is a "drastic" increase ;)

They are a little more. Either way it’s rather pedantic to be worried about 290w when there’s so much more being used. Plus not to forget LEDs are not to everyone’s liking.
You must not live in a warm climate where it definitely can be a consideration. If I had something dissipating 290w it would be significant and make the room temp even less bearable, and AC would be working harder to balance it. And power is quite expensive in Spain, so it would be noticeable to us. Sorry if that's being pedantic to you.

Now, who wants to talk about mains cables?!

VA is the same as W.
Not exactly. AIUI, VA is theoretical consumption while W is actual consumption, and the latter is usually smaller than the former. Anytime I've measured an electrical device's power consumption during use, the W setting on my meter has always read lower than the VA setting.

Hmmm didn' know that, very useful. Wouldn't be that useful in my case though, as have music on most of the morning at least an hour in afternoon and a couple in the evening... what I do like though is that their Class A doesn't run very hot, unlike my old Sugden Masterclass and the MF AMS35I
I do love the Class A sound and I would be kidding myself if I said I wouldn't like to try the E650,but with the amount of use it would get, I would be concerned about the electric bill... I wouldn't pay 10K, asI would trade in my existing kit.
Mac
Accuphase E-650, 168 watt idle - 290 watt max, 8h a day, 7 days a week, price per kWh 0,30€ = 146,76€ - 253,34€ / year.

Luxman 590 AXII, 290 watt idle - 330 watt max, 8h a day, 7 days a week, price per kWh 0,30€ = 253,34€ - 288,29€ / year.

You must not live in a warm climate where it definitely can be a consideration. If I had something dissipating 290w it would be significant and make the room temp even less bearable, and AC would be working harder to balance it. And power is quite expensive in Spain, so it would be noticeable to us. Sorry if that's being pedantic to you.

Now, who wants to talk about mains cables?!
Glasgow, where for 48 weeks of the year every little bit of extra heat is very welcome! :D Having experienced Spain in the middle of winter, a non-insulated villa with tiled floors can be bloody freezing, so a Class A amp would have been welcome too. If I had a place over there I'd be inclined to run Class A SS or valves in the winter and Class D in the summer.

With Naim you need to leave the amps powered up all the time for optimal sound quality as it takes about 3 to 4 days for the amps to reach optimal sound quality when powering up from cold.

How badly designed are Naim amps that this is necessary?! If indeed it is...

I've never known a solid state amplifier require a warmup period of more than a few seconds. If the standby current is measured in the hundreds of Watts then you're just wasting electricity by leaving it on all the time. A device consuming 290 Watts 24/7 is going to cost £28-£30 per month at the usual UK electricity prices!

How badly designed are Naim amps that this is necessary?! If indeed it is...

I've never known a solid state amplifier require a warmup period of more than a few seconds. If the standby current is measured in the hundreds of Watts then you're just wasting electricity by leaving it on all the time. A device consuming 290 Watts 24/7 is going to cost £28-£30 per month at the usual UK electricity prices!
But a device run 24/ 7 will wear out faster and therefore need regular maintenance, and 'servicing' and replacement parts from the maker.....Then costly new 'improvements' can be fitted at the same time. It's all part of the immaculate service and care some makers offer, and they barely profit from it surely?! Meanwhile, the subjects of this thread seem to make amps that run untouched for 20/30/40 years, and sound perfect within 2 mins of switch on. It's a funny old world.

Naim having to be on all the time is a myth. It’s not that badly designed.
It isn't a myth, Naim sounds better when turned on the whole time.

Leaving a amplifier turned on doesn't make it necessarily wear out faster (maybe except for a pure class A amp). Turning an amplifier on an of is also bad for its lifetime.

... I just checked on the Luxman L-590AXII and the power consumption is indicated as follows ;

Luxman L-590AXII
330W
260W (no signal)
0.5W (at standby) - no wonder the amp is cold to the touch

During operation, the Luxman surely gets very hot. Power consumption should be 330W as published.
Sounds about right. My vintage Pioneer M-22 with 30 pure class A watts per side consumes a steady 280W.

I'd quite like to try a Luxman L-590AXII or an Accuphase A-36 / A-45.

My Naim sounds absolutely fantastic right from the off with my passive pre! Obviously, saving power with the passive , to use when I power up my 250 dr! But switch off after use all the time now!

advertisement

Back