advertisement

The 2020 F1 Season

Wolfy says:

“"Lewis was having full lock in the corner. Albon had about 40% of the road left to make the corner and it was different to lap one: where Lewis had to back out of Albon pushing Lewis.”

Penalty was harsh, but ultimately fair. Albon was 2/3 car length ahead... Lewis needed to back out of it. Lewis fan here btw so not having a dig at him.

I didn't watch the end of the show on Channel 4 - did they reveal why exactly Hamilton got the penalty? It looks like Albon drove into Hamilton (back wheel to front wheel) in the pic above.

Yes, that’s exactly what happened. C4 showed a replay from Hamilton’s perspective, basically Albon came past and lurched a bit driving into the back of Lewis’s front wheel as you describe. As either Coultard or Webber said at the time “there’s no reverse gears on these things, so Albon drove into Hamilton!”. They both viewed it as a ‘racing incident’, which seems fair to me, i.e. I didn’t think Albon should have been punished either.

cant help feeling a bit of karma in play here for RBR protesting LH failure to respond to a yellow and getting a grid penalty

from what I've seen the compelling evidence was the 360 camera picking up a yellow at track side [was it active only when he was alongside it, or clearly visible from a few hundreds yards before ? ], there seems to be no additional info like a yellow on his wheel at the time, so wondering how much a driver can realistically be aware of when going for pole, negotiating a corner at max speed and arriving at the scene of an off with dust etc

if there was a light on dash then penalty is infinitely harder to defend.

also reminds me a bit of Rosberg throwing it at the scenery on final qualifying at Monaco a few years back preventing LH improving his time :rolleyes:

bad luck for Max, he needs to be wheel to wheel up front, then we are going to see some proper skills, fingers crossed for next weekend

Albon was clearly ahead. HAM knew he was there, and knew he was in a faster car. As the greatest driver since the invention of the wheel (according to Coultard), HAM was at fault.

If HAM had been passing VET and this happened, what would the pundits opionion be?

Did I imagine it or did the in car footage show Lewis give a very quick twitch of the steering to the left just as Albon's rear tyre came alongside Lewis' front wheel?
This might explain why the stewards penalised Lewis for "causing an accident".

Albon was clearly ahead. HAM knew he was there, and knew he was in a faster car. As the greatest driver since the invention of the wheel (according to Coultard), HAM was at fault.

If HAM had been passing VET and this happened, what would the pundits opionion be?
What could he have done to avoid the contact? Slowing would have had exactly the same result. Accelerating not an option and he was already on full steering lock so I'm at a loss.
Racing incident, no penalty either way IMO.

In fairness Vettel would have had a tantrum and deliberately rammed the other car taking them both off! I honestly don’t see what Hamilton could have done at that speed and on full-lock. Where exactly could he go to? He couldn’t even slow down as the evidence suggests Albon was on course to smack him in the front wheel. What were his options? As I say I’m not blaming Albon at all, it just looked like a ‘racing incident’ to me. No malice or temper on either side.

Vettel would have spun before contact so no hypothetical comparison is possible.

(Sorry, Sebastian, that's sounds a wee bit mean)

What could he have done to avoid the contact? Slowing would have had exactly the same result. Accelerating not an option and he was already on full steering lock so I'm at a loss.
Racing incident, no penalty either way IMO.

agreed and it doesn't help when Christian pushes for an apology, he's obviously upset at coming away with no points, but blame fate not a driver who comes across as a pretty clean racer, if you were picking 10 drivers most likely to do that consciously or through lack of talent in the 2020 line up Lewis would not be one of them

Albon looks like a young Max in that situation, so plenty of time to learn and become a great racer, there was a chance , he took it, but it ended badly

So easy to sit back and judge when you probably have very little experience driving machines like these, a quick bio on Christian shows formula Renault and formula 3 before switching to management with a loan from daddy

I'd need to check back, but Albon was very keen to accept 50/50 blame on the last incident when interviewed post race yesterday, was he as pragmatic at the time ?.

Albon tried a risky move and Lewis had no options that I could see, Albon accelerated when their wheels were overlapping, that was never going to end well, I've seen other drivers remain side by side until the road widened in the past without incident

I honestly don’t see what Hamilton could have done at that speed and on full-lock. Where exactly could he go to? He couldn’t even slow down as the evidence suggests Albon was on course to smack him in the front wheel. What were his options? As I say I’m not blaming Albon at all, it just looked like a ‘racing incident’ to me. No malice or temper on either side.

Just because he couldn't avoid it, doesn't render him blameless. That's like saying GRO's faultless when he ends up in the shrubbery, because once he piled in to a corner too quick he couldn't help it.

A driver of HAM's experience should have avoided the incident before the point of no return. As it was, he punted a faster car and ruined that driver's race, so I can see where the stewards are coming from.

Just because he couldn't avoid it, doesn't render him blameless. That's like saying GRO's faultless when he ends up in the shrubbery, because once he piled in to a corner too quick he couldn't help it.

A driver of HAM's experience should have avoided the incident before the point of no return. As it was, he punted a faster car and ruined that driver's race, so I can see where the stewards are coming from.

How could Lewis avoid the incident before the point of no return? Maybe pull off the track completely and let Albon and anyone else who fancies a risky over take?

Albon had the much faster tyres at that point of the race & would’ve easily out braked Lewis at the next corner to grab the position. He’s young & will learn from it though. Remember Lewis got out of a similar overtake early in the race when Albon cut across him. That’s an experienced driver thinking of a championship compared to a young guy desperate to impress his new team with a risky overtake.

Last edited:
agreed and it doesn't help when Christian pushes for an apology, he's obviously upset at coming away with no points

I think he's sore that his Red Bull is still no match for the Mercs (all things being equal) and hw has taken to protesting anything he can with the Merc... DAS, Hamilton's quali under yellows, Albon incident etc. He'll revert to type soon and sack Albon ;)

The little flick off the wheel could have been to indicate he was on full lock and couldn't yield.

advertisement

Back