advertisement

Keir Starmer sacks RL-B

Yes, I’d like to see some real movement on that. I’d also like to see the words ‘faith’ and ‘school’ never appear together in the same sentence.
Yes, schools should teach about faith, but a whole school based on Faith raises many questions.

1. She issued a tweet of clarification.
2. The wording of that tweet was agreed with Starmer's office.
3. Starmer changed his mind and asked for both tweets to be taken down.
4. RLB wanted to issue a statement explaining why (but, presumably would have done it).
5. Starmer sacked her.
6. That's RLB's version of events.
7. Starmer hasn't disagreed with it and has dodged questions about it, when asked.

The matter could have ended quietly at step 2 but Starmer escalated and overreacted to what was at the absolute worst a minor lapse in judgement.

There is so much that is terrible about this decision it's disappointing to see members cleaving along predictable partisan lines. Among the issues:

The weaponisaton of anti-Semitism to rid himself of a political adversary. This is a reckless and dangerous move that undermines the fight against anti-Semitism in the long run by attacking some of the most passionate anti-racists in public life. Meanhwile, neo-Nazis are on the march across Europe and beyond. I am terrified of where this will end.

The reigniting of factional war within the party, but not just factional war. In my CLP Facebook group I'm seeing members who were heavily critical of Corbyn and voted for Starmer expressing deep disappointment and wondering what the point of the Labour Party is anymore, plus reports of younger members resigning in disgust - direct quote below:

Maybe Starmer will regain enough old white "patriots" to make up for losses elsewhere but I wouldn't count on beating the Tories at their own game - they are masters of harnessing old white spite.

This has (almost) nothing to do with anti-Semitism. Starmer wanted to sack RLB because she wouldn't fall in line with his softly, softly approach to school reopenings - the tension was obvious. That's his right as leader and if he had done that, I would have accepted his decision, while disagreeing with it. After this, who knows?
All pretty reasonable points but I don’t think it would have ended at step 2 as the MSM would have made more of it.

Starmer made the decision as is his right.

This has (almost) nothing to do with anti-Semitism. Starmer wanted to sack RLB because she wouldn't fall in line with his softly, softly approach to school reopenings - the tension was obvious. That's his right as leader and if he had done that, I would have accepted his decision, while disagreeing with it. After this, who knows?

RLB was certainly correct on Schools seeing the rise in covid cases since partial reopening

Coronavirus-outbreaks-in-schools-graph-feat-670x352.jpg

1. She issued a tweet of clarification.
2. The wording of that tweet was agreed with Starmer's office.
3. Starmer changed his mind and asked for both tweets to be taken down.
4. RLB wanted to issue a statement explaining why (but, presumably would have done it).
5. Starmer sacked her.
6. That's RLB's version of events.
7. Starmer hasn't disagreed with it and has dodged questions about it, when asked.

The matter could have ended quietly at step 2 but Starmer escalated and overreacted to what was at the absolute worst a minor lapse in judgement.

There is so much that is terrible about this decision it's disappointing to see members cleaving along predictable partisan lines. Among the issues:

The weaponisaton of anti-Semitism to rid himself of a political adversary. This is a reckless and dangerous move that undermines the fight against anti-Semitism in the long run by attacking some of the most passionate anti-racists in public life. Meanhwile, neo-Nazis are on the march across Europe and beyond. I am terrified of where this will end.

The reigniting of factional war within the party, but not just factional war. In my CLP Facebook group I'm seeing members who were heavily critical of Corbyn and voted for Starmer expressing deep disappointment and wondering what the point of the Labour Party is anymore, plus reports of younger members resigning in disgust - direct quote below:

Maybe Starmer will regain enough old white "patriots" to make up for losses elsewhere but I wouldn't count on beating the Tories at their own game - they are masters of harnessing old white spite.

Exactly this.

Yes, I’d like to see some real movement on that. I’d also like to see the words ‘faith’ and ‘school’ never appear together in the same sentence.
Does that include Catholic and Church of England schools?
Little chance of that with RLB given she is a practising Catholic.

Funny, post posting I thought someone might accuse me of misogamy. You can disagree with me, as another poster did, and you don't have to like my opinion but accelerating to misogyny and re-framing my post as such is uncalled for. I ask that you withdraw your unfounded comment.

Big fan of Angela Rayner btw. I also find Boris lightweight, more so than RLB.
There’s no other word than misogyny for the dismissal of a serious, accomplished and substantial female politician on the grounds that they’re light weight. None. Even ignorance and stupidity don’t explain the comment but I’m happy to take them into account as mitigating factors.

'Old white spite' - so nice to see both racism and ageism on display by the fine well intentioned liberals of PFM. Didn't Hilary have a similar phrase? What was it, deplorables or something?
Mikey? That you?

Centrists, misogynists and Islamophobes coming together over the misfortune of a left wing woman to nurse old wounds and stick the boot in. A touching scene.

Enjoy yourselves lads!

Its, simple dont retweet potentially racist/ antisemitic tropes without checking the factual content. All RBL has to do is prove that the Police were trained by former/active Israeli special forces and then surely shell get the apology she deserves...

When Jewish members of the Labour party (as opposed to Tories and personal friends of Johnson) say it isn't anti-semitic that should be enough for anyone. Believe me if they'd though that RLB made AS remarks they'd have been on it immediately.

If it had been a Tory MP who had retweeted a racist trope then a different discussion would be being had; I’m afraid that is the sad thing for me.

Does that include Catholic and Church of England schools?
Little chance of that with RLB given she is a practising Catholic.

Absolutely. I honestly believe religion has no place in a state-funded school beyond in a history lesson, e.g. religion x believes in y, practices z genital mutilations, is responsible for the following authoritarianism, bigotry and genocides over the past centuries, and to this day rejects evidence based science in the following ways. As a tax-payer I don’t see why I should be asked to foot the bill for brainwashing children, and that is *exactly* what faith schools do.

Absolutely. I honestly believe religion has no place in a state-funded school beyond in a history lessn, e.g. religion x believes in y, practices z genital mutilations, is responsible for the following authoritarianism, bigotry and genocides over the past centuries, and to this day rejects evidence based science in the following ways. As a tax-payer I don’t see why I should be asked to brainwash children, and that is *exactly* what faith schools do.
I agree completely.

Still not evidence that the Israelis taught the Minneapolis Police the hold that was used to kill George Floyd. You really think that the American police never thought of kneeling on someone’s back before they went to Israel on a junket?

Police departments all over the world do exchange visits, probably half the time its a little holiday, but as Israel has particular expertise to offer in the field of counter-terrorism and in evidence gathering after terrorist attacks it’s quite reasonable that they would share their knowledge with other police forces.

Absolutely. I honestly believe religion has no place in a state-funded school beyond in a history lessn, e.g. religion x believes in y, practices z genital mutilations, is responsible for the following authoritarianism, bigotry and genocides over the past centuries, and to this day rejects evidence based science in the following ways. As a tax-payer I don’t see why I should be asked to brainwash children, and that is *exactly* what faith schools do.
A rather simplistic viewpoint I’m afraid. Church schools do a lot of good, they were among the first to educate the poor & do a great deal for social mobility.

advertisement

Back