advertisement

Selling wedding ring

lAmBoY

pfm Member
Divorced...seeks amp upgrade:)

Dont want to go down the ebay route as I have a decent platinum ring by Christian Baur that I wouild like to sell. Retail today is almost £2k but that is new from a jewellers.

Any ideas on how best to sell? Should I bother getting it polished? Plat is very easily scratched.
Cheers.

Looks like the scrappage route. It has a line of other material running through the center (darker gold?),so I am not sure if the weight would be accurate.

Many thanks anyway!

Take it too a Jewellery shop that deals in 2nd jewellery, as above the probably won't give you much more than scrap value but may be worth a try.

The retail mark up on jewelry is typically 300% to 400% so, unless you have something very special, scrap is the way to go, as @gintonic and @Woodface have said. Looking on the bright side, scrap values are currently quite high.

Looks like the scrappage route. It has a line of other material running through the center (darker gold?),so I am not sure if the weight would be accurate.

Many thanks anyway!
Platinum is currently about half the value of gold, per unit weight, and very slightly heavier/denser. Just weigh it accurately and you will have a good idea of current scrap/melt value. Any decent pawnbroker or jeweller will do that for free, and ought to be able to weigh it to 1/100th of a gramme.

Donate it to Mr. Spock?

I'm sorry to hear about the divorce, IAm Boy. I hope better times are ahead.

Joe

I bought a replacement wedding ring in Spain at a market (silver) around 2003, cost me €6 I think or thereabouts anyway it lasted for years but I had to replace it about two years ago so I bought another silver one online for about £20 delivered, I think a similar platinum wedding ring at the time (3mm) was about £120 or so.

My original gold wedding ring from 40 years ago was either lost or horrible or both, it was huge as in wide, probably okay at the time though.

My fiancée spotted a wedding ring that she liked among the second-hand offerings in a jeweller's window. She bought it, and will have been wearing it for forty years come Sunday.
My wife bought her own engagement ring for £30.

advertisement

Back