advertisement

The (almost) bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers . . .

Tony's list is pretty comprehensive, and deserves to be used like the 'Grand Designs' drinking game.

He's missed out 'Naim treadmill' and how glad you are to be off it though. A solid forum cliché worth at least 5 points. This describes the phenomena where heavies from Naim come round your house and force you to buy loads of power supplies.

Yes, I must admit, that's what worries me; I have to be constantly twitching the curtain, just in case those thugs from Naim are out there. In the end, the size of your bank balance is going to be the limiting factor (for most of us). I’ve got a Hi-Cap (TPR4 modified), a CDPS and a NAPSC (unused at the moment) and a bunch of Avondale psu’s.

There is an issue with VFM ( value for money ) with Naim gear and lets face it all Hi Fi and it's colection and ownership is a gift for gadget happy obsesive Bi Polar Disorder behaviour .
Naim gear has a well thought out upgrade path and it gets better as you add more power supplies . I gave up on the new stuff cos it was getting a bit mad and I was spending a massive amount of 'our ' money on it , so I went Olive .
I was very critical in the past of Naim over the price of the Hi-cap , the R&D had been done years ago and the price went up every year until it was not far off the frice of a 5 series Nait ! Just nuts !! But then they introduced the DR Hi-cap , fair play Naim .

The trick is to go second hand . I bought a Hi-cap here a few weeks ago for £250 , now stick that on a phono stage , a preamp even add a second one to a 82 and it's £250 well spent
Yes there are many historical anomaly in the Naim range . The 102 has it's critics but add a NAPSC II to it and it's transformed , no-wonder the 82 and 282 are sold with NAPSC and can't be used without them .

The LP12is very much like Naim. Started in the 70s, with a modest design, reasonably well executed, well finished, priced at premium levels but not footballer money. It's gone the same way, now footballer priced.
What league are these footballers playing in?!
Premier league players earn about £250k per month on average. That's literally a shed load of LP12s.

I have heard many Naim systems over the years, up to 555 level, and they sound too skeletal for me. Having said that I have a small collection of Naim CD players which I love in non-Naim systems. The current price list shocks me, though the Supernait looks to be good value.

I have heard many Naim systems over the years, up to 555 level, and they sound too skeletal for me. Having said that I have a small collection of Naim CD players which I love in non-Naim systems. The current price list shocks me, though the Supernait looks to be good value.
I’ve always fancied trying one of their cdps. Can they do soundstage at all?
Also any good as a transport?

Also not a big fan of brand bashing tbh, don’t mind the tongue in cheek approach though!
My question is how good/bad are their little integrateds?
I am happy to buy one 2nd hand for an appaisal but it would need to accept normal ic’s. Be able to work well with qed 79 strand speaker cable etc.
Looking at their speaker terminals do they accept bare wire or do you need specific banana plugs to connect to their amps?

Also not a big fan of brand bashing tbh, don’t mind the tongue in cheek approach though!
My question is how good/bad are their little integrateds?
I am happy to buy one 2nd hand for an appaisal but it would need to accept normal ic’s. Be able to work well with qed 79 strand speaker cable etc.
Looking at their speaker terminals do they accept bare wire or do you need specific banana plugs to connect to their amps?
They need adaptors for RCA connectors. They're cheap. Use 2x 4m of 79 strand, you're away. You might have to get some 4I'm connectors, if you do they cost only about £1 each.

I’ve always fancied trying one of their cdps. Can they do soundstage at all?
Also any good as a transport?

I have had a CDi and a CDS3 and both were great (the CDi was modified to include a digital output by Grahams HiFi in London and worked very well as a transport with a Meridian DAC).

The CD player s are harsh and edgy like the amps. If this is what you like, great.

No what you mean is you found them harsh and edgy, it is not a fact that they are despite your demonstrable lack of self awareness making you think that you are always right and treating everyone else in a condescending prick like manner!

It doesn't matter how long this thread runs for, it seems that there will only ever be one outcome and that is Naim is shyte; that's not my conclusion BTW, but we're fighting a losing battle.

It doesn't matter how long this thread runs for, it seems that there will only ever be one outcome and that is Naim is shyte; that's not my conclusion BTW, but we're fighting a losing battle.

Don't even worry about it, enjoy what you enjoy! If it's shite it's good shite :D

The thing that really makes me laugh about these threads is people that don't like Naim professing that Naim owners think they own the best kit in the world and enjoy telling everyone else they're wrong to like anything but Naim. In my experience most (not all) do not do that and anyway the hypocrisy of them telling Naim owners that they are wrong to like their kit and have fallen foul of some marketing cult is utterly lost on them. The beauty of hi-fi is it is one of the least susceptible to marketing buys you can make or rather it should be as you can use your own ears to judge whether you want to spend £X on a piece of equipment and if you don't fine, but others might. If as an ex Naim owner somone now feels they have been the victim of some dubious marketing ploys re. Naim I can only presume they have done so over what their own ears were telling them which makes them an idiot frankly!

No what you mean is you found them harsh and edgy, it is not a fact that they are despite your demonstrable lack of self awareness making you think that you are always right and treating everyone else in a condescending prick like manner!
Who do you think you are? My saying it's harsh and edgy is obviously my opinion, one that happens to be shared by others. As such it's just as valid as yours and it's a fact that this is my opinion. As for a condescending prick, look no further than your mirror. What is it about Naim owners that they can't bear anyone saying they don't like the sound? Are you so insecure? Now grow up.

I’m no longer a Naim owner but Ive never found the cdp’s sharp and edgy. They are often very tightly focused and are especially good with voices I feel.

advertisement

Back