advertisement

'DIY' Pics 2020

More information in this other thread, but here are some pics of my just-finished F5 build. Couldn't be happier with the result, and I haven't even listened to it!

49879243017_3b072c7069_c.jpg

49878934636_ec2956d95b_c.jpg

More higher-res photos here.

DIY Active Subwoofer

I know some folks might think it sacrilege but the addition really adds something to listening enjoyment when properly integrated into a system, with the Ergo IX's you get pinpoint imaging, excellent dynamics and now with bottom end grunt (the sub is non ported and with the DSP in the Hypex module can be tailored to be pretty seamless.

I started building a copy of the Fender 5E3 Deluxe-Amp in 2017, then put it down and never got back to it. During the quarantine I decided there was no excuse to not finish the amplifier, so I did.

There are some things I want to clean up with the lead dress around the heaters, but for now the amplifier is performing properly and I'm just going to enjoy it for a while.

The cabinet has already suffered some feline-induced relicing.

5w27MTy.jpg
LF6NTRi.jpg

Xr1HwCX.jpg

I am highly disappointed with the professionalism of build, both in looks, and in implementation. You should all be ashamed, I mean where is the huge rats nest of wiring, a much too small enclosure with all the bits and bobs hopelessly crammed in, just waiting for a house fire to occur? :)

Well done all, I love looking at the nice builds, congrats!

My DIY small effort from yesterday, have been meaning to install some outriggers onto my Rega speakers for ages in order to stabilise them on the rug and rug+bare floor crossover point that they reside on. Nothing in comparison to the superb up-thread build photos, obviously, but has made a beneficial difference to sound quality and I managed to drill out holes and thread in necessary inserts without damaging bases, so I'm happy:

R1044619 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

I am highly disappointed with the professionalism of build, both in looks, and in implementation. You should all be ashamed, I mean where is the huge rats nest of wiring, a much too small enclosure with all the bits and bobs hopelessly crammed in, just waiting for a house fire to occur?

check my diy builds for that sort of thing.

I'm waiting im(patiently) for my Salas DCG3, DCSTB and I-Select boards at the moment. Well actually, I'm waiting for the next group buy. So @337alant, your photos are making me jealous. I'll have to ask you later about some of your parts. Those PCB mounted Talema transformers look a lot more manageable and tidy than the normal toroids with stubborn primaries and secondaries all over the place.

I was a bit worried about the Telema transformers as are only 25VA so I monitored the temp for a full day left on with the lid on but they never went over 30C and they don't appear stressed in any way and are dead silent.
I had to keep everything tight as I had this amp case for a while so decided to make everything fit
I have another dilema, when I get the selector board I need a 12vDC 30ma supply and dont have any more space for a transformer
I could use an external wall-wart or maybe steal a 17v-0 from the reg boards ?, not sure if that would upset the power supply?

Alan

Thats only 0.5w max draw. Nothing. Take it from the supply you have, and if worried, add a dab of small RC to decouple the added load.

It’ll make not one jot of difference: regardless of if taken off a regulated rail; nor if from a raw dc rail, then an 7812 or lm317 or sim to suit the relay board.

advertisement

Back