advertisement

Those who have moved on from Naim.....

I first bought my Naim kit in 1983:

32,Snaps, 250 CB ( went to32.5, HiCap ) stayed with this till 2013.

Moved onto Grad 1, TPX2, Witch Hat moonlight mono amplifiers.
Naim 3.5 / HiCap then 2017 went to Naim CDS/ CDPS
Nat 101 / Snaps still in use ( bought 1986 )
Linn DMS Isobariks ( bought in 1983 )
Linn LP12 Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau sub chassis, Cirkus. Armeggedon, Aro, Kiseki Blue NS.

Regards,

Martin

I had a 72/140 into spendor s6’s and it was when I added a hicap that I realised that power was important, and the upgrade bug bit.
At that time, probably in the mid 90’s I think it was ex brickie of this parish got me interested in NVA.
Now, for the last 6 years or so after some ear bashings from the late RD, I have been delighted with the musicality of my P50 sa, my phono 2 and my A80’s mk 2 into Dynaudio speakers
I had actually first tried a NAP 250 and sold on the 140, but , for whatever reason it was sounded muddy and I was really disappointed.
The possibility of buying new and avoiding getting dumped on by people in the second hand market has resulted in me having great music which I’m sure will keep me happy for many more years without upgrade, well maybe the speaker cables......

I use a Yamaha A-s801 a lot and recently I switched to the Naim 72 / 250 that I still have.
All of a sudden there is a more pushy and driven presentation which seems to come from the bottom upwards.Typical Naim I guess.
The Yamaha seems to be much more laid back with a " Natural Sound" like they say in their publicity.
Can't bring myself to sell the Naim though.

Great but limited to certain styles of music. If you want to play Classical or Jazz, look elsewhere. It’s not bad but you can do better.
I disagree, and it very much depends on what speakers you'll be using. What do you suggest is better for seven grand?

I disagree, and it very much depends on what speakers you'll be using. What do you suggest is better for seven grand?

If you're still buying used, I would think that sort of money opens up some serious options without the need for all the boxes and string.

I wonder why it is that people who've moved on - from anything, I suppose, but it's noticeable with Naim - always seem semi-reluctant to say what it is they've found that's so much better. Don't mean to single you out, this post was just an example. And I'm guessing SJB had it in mind when he explicitly asked why in the OP.

I mentioned in a subsequent post that I’m going Linn DSM. It’s a single box that sounds excellent, is well made, has decent streaming software, a nice built in phono stage, takes up little space, plus my better half can use it from her phone / iPad without being terrified of turning on multiple boxes in the right order etc to the point that she never used it. The equivalent Naim offering has inferior software in my opinion, no built in phono stage (so another box required) and to my ears, sounds very good but not quite as nice as the Linn. I also run 3 Yamaha amps in other rooms, linked with MusicCast (RN803, 402 and 303). The 803 gives >95% of the Linn / Naim offerings and I could very happily live with one in my main system.

I used Spendors. Anything by many other manufacturers, including Devialet, Krell, DCS etc. Just as good I’m afraid.Different perhaps, but just as good. Devialet has a better internal phono stage and Dac as a bonus.

I use a Yamaha A-s801 a lot and recently I switched to the Naim 72 / 250 that I still have.
All of a sudden there is a more pushy and driven presentation which seems to come from the bottom upwards.Typical Naim I guess.
The Yamaha seems to be much more laid back with a " Natural Sound" like they say in their publicity.
Can't bring myself to sell the Naim though.

Don’t sell the Naim, you will regret one day !

Enjoyed reading this thread
I owned a Naim CDI chosen after hearing Meridian and Linn equivalents. Seem to extract more detail
Sold for Musical Fidelity Trivista. Disaster after transport failed after couple of years and nothing could be done (MF never again!)
I’ve since auditioned Naim amps but chose Pass Labs
Auditioned Naim DAC but chose Chord DSX1000
I respect Naim brand though. Products seem to be well supported and good resell value and plenty of reviews tests and forum discussions

I used Spendors. Anything by many other manufacturers, including Devialet, Krell, DCS etc. Just as good I’m afraid.Different perhaps, but just as good. Devialet has a better internal phono stage and Dac as a bonus.
Sorry, I disagree again. I used a Devialet in my second system for a while, and flirted with Krell in the past. This is all IMO of course, and in yours.

Whoever buys that Naim olive system will have the basis of a superb system, with lots of opportunities to tweak it in various ways.

Sorry, I disagree again. I used a Devialet in my second system for a while, and flirted with Krell in the past. This is all IMO of course, and in yours.

Whoever buys that Naim olive system will have the basis of a superb system, with lots of opportunities to tweak it in various ways.
As they would if they bought a Devialet etc. IMO of course. So let’s agree to disagree.

Great but limited to certain styles of music. If you want to play Classical or Jazz, look elsewhere. It’s not bad but you can do better.
I play quite a bit of jazz through the Naim amps. What I find is not so much a preference for certain styles of music but that the Naim suits the vinyl better than the Yamaha.

It thought the vinyl cards in the Naim were fairly poor compared to an external phono stage. Better than the Yamaha though. That’s why I chose the external stage for mine.

advertisement

Back