advertisement

Qobuz hi-res/lossless plan £14.99 per month (UK)

I currently use Tidal as it was the first service to have Roon treatment. I did prefer Qobuz when I used it. Don't know why really. The jazz and classical selection seemed more prominent than Tidal. Think I'll swap back today.

Tempted by this as an alternative to Tidal but having signed up, the offers available are "Premium" 320kbs mp3 for £12.99 per month, HiFi for £25.99 or Studio at £32.99!!!

As I understand it Qobuz has dropped the MP3 stream so that might be out-of-date pricing info.

Mick

I have the Tidal 5 months for €5 deal (well 2.5 months as I upgraded to the CD res form)
Qobuz seems to work via VPN to sign up and then work without the need for VPN as @tejsfor says so for $14.99 it is too good to pass up.
Tidal is set to renew at €19.99 so just about €6 cheaper at current exchange rates.

.sjb

You’re a bunch of cheapskates. Just pay what Qobuz are asking, it’s excellent value at twice the price, and help them survive.

I spend many, many multiples of my Qobuz subscription on music both on CD, bandcamp and live but I detest the $14.99 / €14.99 / £14.99 pricing and will treat them like they are treating their customers.

.sjb

Fine. Feel hard done by over three-four quid if you want. Anyway, in Brexit land the pound will be worth less than dollar or euro and you’ll have a great deal.

Okay six quid, whatever. I wasn’t moaning for months when it was £24.99. I’m not a Qobuz representative. Do what you feel comfortable with. The pricing will probably settle.

I spend many, many multiples of my Qobuz subscription on music both on CD, bandcamp and live but I detest the $14.99 / €14.99 / £14.99 pricing and will treat them like they are treating their customers.

.sjb
But surely CDs are different prices in Europe, the UK and the USA.

I've been really impressed with Qobuz so far. It's by far the most open HiRes streaming platform I've tried, supported by USB Audio Player Pro on Android (which brings proper bit-perfect support for external DAC's), Logitech Media server and Google Chromecast (up to 24/96) all of which I use frequently

It also has a seemingly very wide selection of less mainstream music, which has made me realise I've not kept in touch with so many new releases by bands I enjoy!

I tried the Amazon HD service a while back, which is £2 / month cheaper and has the cheapest family option, but it has severe limitations with achieving bit-perfect replay in the real world - their Android app doesn't support external DAC's and I suspect doesn't enforce correct sample rates and even on a PC it's problematic. Chromecast in HD is unsupported and they don't seem very open (at present) to third-party developers.

This is the first time I've felt this is a service worth paying for, I've spent around £40 on used CD's this month and everything I purchased is available on Qobuz.

I signed up to US offer in Jan and am loving it. I used VPN to sign up but don't have any trouble signing in. I even paid for a year up front which for some reason started immediately rather than at the end of the free month's trial - buyer beware! - but I contacted customer services and they've given me a free hi-res download instead. Great customer service! I'm finding some of the hi-res versions that I'm streaming sound better/different to the same resolution played locally.

Only problem so far is that I was on a bit of a floydathon last night and thought I'd give Qobuz a try. only about 8 compilations (and the latest album) available...clearly rights negotiations are ongoing.

Not so with Tangerine Dream though.:(

I’ve never looked, to be honest, as I have well over thirty of their albums ripped to the server anyway. Just took a look on the Qobuz app though, and it claims the site has 83 albums by the band. Not checked if any are ‘unavailable’ though.

Mick

advertisement

Back