advertisement

New Bearing for LP12--The Karousel

Making the bearing too big for older and some third party psu is a genius forced upgrade move by Linn.

Well, it's hard to make the bearing stiffer without making it bigger.

Anyone running a Valhalla should look to upgrade that before worrying about this new bearing anyway.

I don't know. I felt the Cirkus was a bigger upgrade, or change, than any power supply was. If this bearing pulls of a similar trick it could be a massive shift relative to a worn original style bearing.

I suspect it is less aimed at forcing upgrade from valhalla, and more forcing third party in-plinth non-Linn upgraded PSUs (Hercules, VP Revolution, etc) back in the fold ... Lingo 4 anybody?

Seems Lingo 4 has been anticipating the new 'girth'.

Lingo-4-circuit-board.png

So why does the bearing kit cost £260 more than the Cirkus one? If the price of the deck has not changed, that would suggest the new bearing costs much the same as the old one to make. If it costs significantly more to make, which would justify the £750 price, then it means there was so much margin on the old one they can absorb the cost easily. Doesn't matter how you cut it, Linn are shafting somebody somewhere.

And, if it's true that the cost of fitting of the new bearing is not included it's worse than £260 as fitting was included in the price of the Cirkus kit. So the real price difference is what, about £400 ish?
Profit is not a dirty word. You have jumped to Rega, good for you but I fail to see why you feel motivated to crap all over this thread.

Even if this part costs no more to make they have put R&D into it which they have to recoup, perhaps you would be happier if they just went bust?

So why does the bearing kit cost £260 more than the Cirkus one? If the price of the deck has not changed, that would suggest the new bearing costs much the same as the old one to make. If it costs significantly more to make, which would justify the £750 price, then it means there was so much margin on the old one they can absorb the cost easily. Doesn't matter how you cut it, Linn are shafting somebody somewhere.

And, if it's true that the cost of fitting of the new bearing is not included it's worse than £260 as fitting was included in the price of the Cirkus kit. So the real price difference is what, about £400 ish?

the price hike is just a window dressing , do not make it fool you.
It's a great strategy.
It's as cheap ,almost, as not to justify a real price jump in new LP12sales but enough to be considered a performance one.
Very few are not considering getting it free ,as it will come free if you're prepared to spend £3000
They'll sell lots of costly arms, subchassis etc.
Very few will buy it , but anyone woh has a full blown LP 12 for sure
Chapeaux to Linn.

Sadly I can fit it into my kuzma, as I have to machine off the flange on a standard linn bearing to make that fit. I just have to go maglev...

I think we're getting to the end of the Linn Trigger's Broom. But I'm wondering why they didn't think a new top plate should come first, unless it's more difficult to improve on (and yes, I do include the Tangerine/TPA stuff)

Would be interesting to hear what the first users think of the new bearing. Is there anyone on the LinnWam forum who has had it done (saves me looking past all the advertising and puerile language)?

I wonder what is different about the Karosel that makes it non compatible with third party subchassis.

How would Karosel/Keel lesser power supply compare with Cirkus/Keel Radikal?

I wonder what is different about the Karosel that makes it non compatible with third party subchassis.

Nothing as far as I know ... if it is backwards compatible with all Linn sub chassis then I assume this party stuff will be fine. Or am i missing something?

I suspect it is less aimed at forcing upgrade from valhalla, and more forcing third party in-plinth non-Linn upgraded PSUs (Hercules, VP Revolution, etc) back in the fold ... Lingo 4 anybody?
If you’ve got a Hercules put it in a Mose case. What I find unappealing about the Lingo 4 is that it puts active circuitry back inside the plinth to radiate RFI.

If you’ve got a Hercules put it in a Mose case. What I find unappealing about the Lingo 4 is that it puts active circuitry back inside the plinth to radiate RFI.

Agreed! A Mose resolves the issue and moves the PSU out of the plinth, the very thing I attribute the majority of the improvement when I moved from a Valhalla to a Mose Hercules II. I suspect a Lingo 4 is a much quieter PSU than the old valhalla, modern PCB designed in an era of EMC compliance testing will almost guarantee that, but still it seems a retrograde step to me to put a PSU back in the plinth.

There’s a bunch of things I find a bit odd about the Lingo 4. One of the cited advantages of the original Lingo was that the electronics were no longer in the deck, but now they are back in it. Given that there is an external power supply element, why couldn’t all the electronics be put in that box? The external box is a weird shape, long and thin - why is that? What’s in it exactly - the ‘Brilliant’ SM power supply is tiny and a linear supply wouldn’t need a long thin case either... Finally, why does it even use a tachometer? So it makes sense to use one with a D.C. motor as they are well known to slow speed drift, but AC synchronous motors don’t. Is it really just to stop someone having to use a strobe and twiddle an adjustment pot?

Edit: After a bit of a Google I see that Linn’s ‘Dynamik’ power supply board is long and rectangular and is likely the reason for the Lingo 4s strange shape.

Last edited:
Linn need to be commended for still developing a product launched in 1972.

The modular design is almost unique in Hifi which brings longevity and choice but also a continuous income stream for Linn - which seems to be a problem for some people..???

advertisement

Back