advertisement

The Jam

Nigel

pfm Member
Can we have a thread on The Jam / Style Council / Paul Weller ? Billy Hunt was being played on the radio the other day and a younger guy in my work commented on how intense it sounded. I was lucky enough to catch them in concert on three occasions. Probably a better singles than albums band. Although, Setting Sons might disprove that. Whatever you might think of them, they were massive in the UK in the late seventies, early eighties and Going Underground / Dreams of Children must be one of the best singles of all time.

Loved The Jam, they were one of those bands that seemed to have a bigger sound than three people should be able to make and a pent up energy that came spilling out into their songs and delivery thereof. Their run of singles in the late 70s/early 80s was sublime and I was sad when they split, but then came the Style Council ... different but such good song writing and musicianship. Ended up just as big a fan.

The Jam were great. For me they are a home town band and while still living in that part of the UK, ooooooooooo 20 plus years ago, I often spotted Paul Weller around.
They were huge when I was at school with tons of mates being really into them, more so than me.
Saw them play locally twice.

I was just thinking to myself the other day that The Jam was possibly the last of "THE GREAT" bands... the likes of The Who, The Beatles, Led Zep etc... Virtually everything after around 1982 is so "limp", "stale", "contrived", "formulaic"...
They were certainly intense and very much a band aimed at working class male tastes, concerns etc... beer and fags and sweaty armpits etc...

The likes of "Strange Town" and "Going Underground" still explode out of the speakers at you!!

I struggle to find words to describe how shite the likes of say Jay Zee, "Ltl Yachty", "Dua Lipa" etc etc etc, to pick some modern music at random, really are in comparison! I actually find myself shouting at the radio when the likes of Steve Wright plays something like "Dua Lipa feat. Lti Yachty" and says "and that's a great new track!".... "NO IT'S UTTER SHITE YOU FECKING CRETIN!!!" etc etc:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Massive Jam fan here- saw them loads of times when l was a yoof, a very important group indeed, great to see them still being appreciated.:)

Lucky twat! I've seen Weller solo and he did a few Jam songs... he was just was going through the motions really though..

I've always thought it a shame they ended the way they did with Weller basically saying to Foxton and Buckler "I'm off to try something new so that's your career as rock stars ended. Tough". IIRC he basically just turned to them in the dressing room after a gig and said "that was our last gig. The Jam no longer exist from this moment on" and without any warning whatsoever...

Down in the Tube Station...

Agreed - a classic. My wife loves Butterfly Collector too.

I’ve seen Weller solo several times inc O2 and Albert Hall. He’s a class act. I was too young to see the Jam live but I’ve seen a few Jam tribute bands who are very good!

I’m off to Llandudno to see Weller on his latest tour in May. I’ve read that the tracks on his new album (not yet out) are good too

Fabulous band - I have all their standard LPs (and a bootleg or two)

I saw the Jam more times than I can remember on the rise and at the top of there game.
Live shows on radio and TV included.
Saw Paul perform his first three great solo albums live.
I didn't get to see the Style Council play live because of children.
I know Paul still plays his fans favourites live but IMO It's not the same.
He's got more money than he can spend So does what he wants with his songs and music.
But if he ever wanted to put the Jam back together and the Style Council to play half and half indoor and outdoor Stadium concerts around the world.
I think he would make a lot of old and young people very happy.

He definitely didn’t just tell them it was the last gig! The whole tour was advertised as such. I saw them at Bridlington (4th to last gig) and they came out at the end and waved goodbye. Was pretty emotional.

I’d followed them since In The City. Got This Is The Modern World for my 16th birthday. It was disappointing and then it became apparent Weller had lost his touch. The dull single News Of The World followed and it looked as if their 15 minutes was over...then Weller did the most amazing thing and found a seam of creativity that produced All Mod Cons, a quite brilliant album. Coming as it did after we’d started to give up on them I reckon is somewhat unprecedented?

Saw them on the Setting Sons tour when they were arguably at the peak of their live powers.

Releasing singles that went straight in at number one while being completely creatively independent and politically opinionated. Mad, when you think about it!

I was just thinking to myself the other day that The Jam was possibly the last of "THE GREAT" bands... the likes of The Who, The Beatles, Led Zep etc... Virtually everything after around 1982 is so "limp", "stale", "contrived", "formulaic"...
They were certainly intense and very much a band aimed at working class male tastes, concerns etc... beer and fags and sweaty armpits etc...

The likes of "Strange Town" and "Going Underground" still explode out of the speakers at you!!

I struggle to find words to describe how shite the likes of say Jay Zee, "Ltl Yachty", "Dua Lipa" etc etc etc, to pick some modern music at random, really are in comparison! I actually find myself shouting at the radio when the likes of Steve Wright plays something like "Dua Lipa feat. Lti Yachty" and says "and that's a great new track!".... "NO IT'S UTTER SHITE YOU FECKING CRETIN!!!" etc etc:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Its not there fault !
Your the Plank that listens to BBC Radio 2.:mad::eek::D

I didn't have sweaty armpits.

I haven't been that impressed with Pauls last few solo albums and they haven't got much play here because IMO there a bit dull and lifeless.
Just hope he never starts putting out covers albums like all the other free bus pass
Rock and roll pensioners :cool::rolleyes:

He definitely didn’t just tell them it was the last gig! The whole tour was advertised as such. I saw them at Bridlington (4th to last gig) and they came out at the end and waved goodbye. Was pretty emotional.

I’d followed them since In The City. Got This Is The Modern World for my 16th birthday. It was disappointing and then it became apparent Weller had lost his touch. The dull single News Of The World followed and it looked as if their 15 minutes was over...then Weller did the most amazing thing and found a seam of creativity that produced All Mod Cons, a quite brilliant album. Coming as it did after we’d started to give up on them I reckon is somewhat unprecedented?

Saw them on the Setting Sons tour when they were arguably at the peak of their live powers.

Releasing singles that went straight in at number one while being completely creatively independent and politically opinionated. Mad, when you think about it!

All Mod Cons was probably their best but I also enjoyed the funky bits from The Gift

advertisement

Back