advertisement

The Jam

I still remember watching top of the pops expecting the wonderful games without frontiers to continue its rise only for this song to come straight in At no. 1. I was 13 at the time and the Jam had passed me by up until then.

Such a great time for music in general....

.sjb

I like the fact that Weller ended The Jam & then did something completely different. I've seen him at the Leadmill in Sheffield & also the City Hall. I think his solo work is generally excellent & he is a superb musician.

I didn’t take to the Style Council - especially soon after the Jam. Just seemed a bit poncy to me!

Have since appreciated them a bit - Long Hot Summer works on a warm day . Walls Come Tumbling Down was more Jam like. Let’s go to Milton Keynes was pretty funky.

Couldn’t easily listen to a whole SC album though...

I think the Style Council was a bold move for Weller to make. He had no guarantee it would be a success. I loved the early singles (the b-side Ghosts Of Dachau is an exceptional thing) and the crazy diversity of Cafe Bleu. Lost track of them a bit after that though as by definition they weren’t a band to be “followed” as avidly as The Jam.
Afraid his solo stuff was lost on me for years. Way too retro in the same way dreadful “Brit Pop” was. Have come to appreciate it and again it’s (later) diversity more recently.

I haven't been that impressed with Pauls last few solo albums and they haven't got much play here because IMO there a bit dull and lifeless.
Just hope he never starts putting out covers albums like all the other free bus pass
Rock and roll pensioners :cool::rolleyes:
He already has, Studio 150 , I think it’s very good and I like The Jam as much as we all do in this thread.

I think Weller is a much better musician than many realise. The fact that The Jam and The Style Council are so different and his solo stuff is pretty varied yet I can listen happily to any of it says something about him. I have seen him play live a few times at different points of his career and have always massively enjoyed his performances. The Jam were probably my favourite part of his career, but much of his later output has been very close.

Seen Waller many times, and enjoy all of his phases. Although funnily enough I left a meeting in Basingstoke last night and thought I'd listen to some old Jam, and loud. So I siried away and got 'News of the World'. I vividly recall taping this off the Peel show back in the day, and loving it.

It sounded dreadful in the car. Admittedly it was Apple Music bit rates, but I had to switch to something else. Just not as impactful and energetic as I remembered.

I last saw PW live supporting Noel Gallagher at the Downs Concert. Ego billing aside, PW blew the rest away, with breadth, depth and rapport. Noels band also got better once Weller joined them.

National treasure status yet?

Would add that they probably called time at the right moment, as some say Paul Weller had lost his edge a tad, The Style Council was indeed a bold move.:)

Weller is releasing a 7" on the Ghost Box label next month. Limited edition. I hear they are the primary label for all things hauntology, folklore, and rural strange.

I like All Mod Cons and Sound Affects best.

Love those ballads English Rose and Fly.

Sound Affects had some great 60s sounding beat stuff with Gang of Four rip offs. That cutting electric sound.

Man in the corner shop is a gem.

Have to admire Weller for killing off the Jam and trying something new. His accoutant probably thought it not wise.

advertisement

Back