advertisement

Anyone compared high end Class D power amps?

As far as I know Temple operate a thirty day return policy if not satisfied. All I would restate is you really have to spend the same again with Temple or Custom Hi-Fi Cables on PSU.

The Amptastic Mini One is a good way to get a similar taste for £100, but only 11 watts.

The final thing I’ll say is the Khozmo passive preamp is a great marriage for me. The Tisbury passive, again £100, is a cheap way to get a taste of Khozmo and whether a passive works for you.

I find the opposite to a couple of posts here: never has volume come so cleanly as with my current set up. I can go beyond reasonable levels and I simply don’t hear the ‘hardening’ or discomfort that I used to hear. The cleanest sound I’ve ever had, for sure. I can’t imagine I’d even consider ‘old’ amp technology should I ever replace my amps.

Vinylslug

My gut tells me that the standard Temple monos might be a sideward step or very slightly better...
Thanks for that. I might wait a while and go for ‘full package’ at a later date. I’m actually quite happy with what I have, so shouldn’t go chasing rainbows lol.

In his latest blog, Archimago tests the Hypex NC252MP.

In summary then, for less than US$500 (typically <US$800 retail), this simple self-assembled Hypex nCore NC252MP amplifier performed very well and lived up to my expectations both objectively and subjectively. This amplifier has more than enough resolution for hi-res digital playback; the question is whether the rest of your audio chain can maintain the fidelity. For sure, one can spend more money and achieve even lower noise level and lower distortions (yeah, I know, the Benchmark AHB2, Hypex NC400, NC500, and Purifi amps are all awesome - anyone got level-controlled blind test results to show audible differences?!). If 150W into 8Ω, 250W into 4Ω, and even 180W into 2Ω is all the stereo power you need (you might want to see here for a quick check), it's going to be very hard to justify the "need" for something of even higher fidelity.

What I'm excited by is the idea of ongoing refinement, even better power efficiency, smaller physical footprint, and of course even lower prices in the days ahead as technology marches forward and provides value to those seeking high fidelity audio. Progress does not look or sound like 100-pound solid state behemoths or anachronistic tube-jobs costing 4+ figures, IMO. Rather, this amplifier is a nice example of high-fidelity in the real world of the 21st Century - potentially unassuming devices that can provide beautifully clean, "clinical", and some might even call "sterile" sonic canvases upon which the noise, "grunge", and harmonics of your music arises from with ease.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/measurements-hypex-ncore-nc252mp.html

Well, should anyone be selling their Temple monoblocks or a Bantam one in the near future then let me know, or I may be forced to take advantage of their 30 day policy....

Last edited:
Just loaned out one of spare ncores to a mate with a dynavector pre/power. Think he’s pleased with it!

Anyone with misgivings on some of the class d, possibly thinking a £600 amp can’t be that good, really ought to have a listen. My old vitus was very good, but at £13k I wouldn’t go back to it, the ncore is better

yes things have certainly moved on. while i would adore a pass 30.8 , where do you put the thing....its so big and heavy. weighing up these things makes it worth any small reduction in performance but seems things are improving .

Just reading a review of the amazing msb 204 monoblocks which Cost 39k new . Stunning performance and stunning depreciation. A pair of 202 monoblocks at audio emotion for 6k . Huge amount of heat, but awesome sound. Be nice to find a class d to match them !! I have no doubt Keith will have a suggestion!!

Yeh it’s just too much money, been there and done that.
These pocket money (in comparison) Class D amps are just stupidly good at the money. I’ve never come across anything Class A/B that could come anywhere close performance wise.

It’s starting to look like Class D is going to be the future.....who’d have thunk it?

I was reading an old issue of "Wireless World" the other day and in the letters page was one from A. Sandman (invented class S) in which he says he can't see any future for class D! This was I think about '91...

These pocket money (in comparison) Class D amps are just stupidly good at the money. I’ve never come across anything Class A/B that could come anywhere close performance wise.
Hi,
Check out :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

The Benchmark AHB2 exceeds the best class D - assumed to be the Purifi 1ET400A.

If you check the graphs for THD into 4ohm load, the best class D is 10x worse than the best class A/B. Class D outputs a lot of noise above 20kHz, so high resolution audio is a worthless pursuit given no one is affected by class D noise.

Regards,
Shadders.

Just reading a review of the amazing msb 204 monoblocks which Cost 39k new . Stunning performance and stunning depreciation. A pair of 202 monoblocks at audio emotion for 6k . Huge amount of heat, but awesome sound. Be nice to find a class d to match them !! I have no doubt Keith will have a suggestion!!

I'm officialy and most definitely not Keith. However I confess I retain an ongoing fascination with Spec Corporation. Yazaki San (now retired I understand) seemes like a right interesting cove.

I know Keith dabbled then looked elsewhere. Fair enough.

I confess such Class D as I've heard to date has never got me even a little moist, but I always say I'm 'technology-agnostic' in that I really don't care whether it glows in the dark or not, so I suppose Class D potentially deserves the benefit of the doubt. And to my eyes, the Spec stuff looks like a million dollars.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/spec/

http://hifiknights.com/reviews/amplifiers/spec-rsa-m99/

The latter is the amp I'd most like to get my eager little paws on, probably rivalled only by the 'baby' Bakoon.

Hi,
Check out :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

The Benchmark AHB2 exceeds the best class D - assumed to be the Purifi 1ET400A.

If you check the graphs for THD into 4ohm load, the best class D is 10x worse than the best class A/B. Class D outputs a lot of noise above 20kHz, so high resolution audio is a worthless pursuit given no one is affected by class D noise.

Regards,
Shadders.

A class A amp could go even lower of course;)

Yeh I’m not suggesting that Class D amps are better than A/B as a rule. More the performance you can get from a cheap class D amplifier (say £100-£500) surely is leagues ahead of anything A/B of similar cost. Mine are just stunning...

Again, I bought the Temples to fill in while I was auditioning a few valve power amps, from say £5k-£40k (new) price range.

I’d get one shipped over, listen for a few days, then pack them up and put the Temples back in until the next arrival.

Something needs explained when you go back to the Temples and you’re thinking ‘ah that’s better’ or at best going back and forward over and over to try and decide which you prefer most.

No heat, vastly reduced leccie bills, no replacing stupid money valves, not waiting for the bloody thing to go pop, no need for a couple of hundred a side on supports, not having to worry about one of the kids tripping and falling onto it while it’s on (and breaking the amp :p), not having to pay a couple of hundred a year to insure the thing......I’m thinking where’s the downside??

I'm officialy and most definitely not Keith. However I confess I retain an ongoing fascination with Spec Corporation. Yazaki San (now retired I understand) seemes like a right interesting cove.

I know Keith dabbled then looked elsewhere. Fair enough.

I confess such Class D as I've heard to date has never got me even a little moist, but I always say I'm 'technology-agnostic' in that I really don't care whether it glows in the dark or not, so I suppose Class D potentially deserves the benefit of the doubt. And to my eyes, the Spec stuff looks like a million dollars.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/spec/

http://hifiknights.com/reviews/amplifiers/spec-rsa-m99/

The latter is the amp I'd most like to get my eager little paws on, probably rivalled only by the 'baby' Bakoon.
Bakoon was a nice little amp, but the Spec models I tried suffered from a technical issue, I did inform Spec of it , the next units I ordered had the very same issue.

Keith

advertisement

Back