advertisement

anyone see Rick Gervais on the American Golden Globe awards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
now, to those who confess that "the office" was a work of genius, yet want to claim that RG is not funny... huh?

The office was new and had a real edge. Nothing like it previously. The awards thing was just a highly predictable “lets do something edgy” routine from a now old and rather past it comedian deliberately targeted to get exactly the media reaction it did. As Claire said above those who paid got exactly what they paid for and your reaction was part of the ‘product’. My reaction, as you’ll note from my posts, was ‘meh’. It was just Gervais doing exactly what he has done for years now to earn a crust in a safe room of his multimillionaire peers. You seem far more interested in the tabloid/twitter ‘end product’ than me, but basically the Golden Globes got good value for his no doubt considerable fee as he stuck their pointless gong event on the front page of the media across the world, even this forum. I’m just not the target audience, so I’ll leave you to it!

Fair enough, I will watch that if it appears anywhere other than Netflix (I’m not a subscriber).
You can get a month’s free trial of Netflix, which is enough to watch a fair chunk of the modest amount of decent content they have. There’s some good music documentaries.

Fair enough, I will watch that if it appears anywhere other than Netflix (I’m not a subscriber).
I was going to suggest that you took out the Netflix 30 day free trial but I see it has been scrapped in the UK.
A pity because I'm absolutely certain that if you watched 'Afterlife' you'd be revising your opinion that RG is 'a now old and rather past it comedian'.

One point from this three pages would be how do any of you know, or does the media know, how much he might give to charities or indeed, the Labour Party.

A second point might be that in true internet fashion it's not about the message as much as the messenger. To wit, the fact it's a comedian doing a bit for the 5th time becomes yet another platform to tell the imaginary room whether someone sucks or not. Yay us!

I thought Derek was just wonderful as was Afterlife. I think Gervais had little option but to lampoon the pomposity of those who assume because they are actors in receipt of an award for pretending to be someone else it invests their 'views' and 'opinions' on serious real world issues with gravitas and credibility-it's the Globes, not the bloody UN FGS. Pampered millionaires who jet across the planet to support the climate protests are the worst kind of narcissistic w**kers IMHO.

i'm pretty sure you don't understand the political and social dynamics here. gervais is a corbyn/sanders guy. the audience is mainly establishment clintonite (==blairite in your neck of the woods).
I don't think so. De Niro and most of them I think are actually Democrats. At least they say they are and we have no reason to argue with htat.

just a highly predictable “lets do something edgy” routine from a now old and rather past it comedian ... My reaction, was ‘meh’ ... pointless gong event on the front page of the media across the world, even this forum ...

42 thread views per hour over a day and half. Tell us more about how much you despise the edgy meh.

I don't think so. De Niro and most of them I think are actually Democrats. At least they say they are and we have no reason to argue with htat.

i think 'democrat' in the US translates to something more like 'lib-dem' in the UK rather than the Labour Party

Afterlife was one of the best things I saw last year, I can't remember the last comedy that made me laugh out loud, Afterlife did it on a number of occasions.

Cheers BB

42 thread views per hour over a day and half. Tell us more about how much you despise the edgy meh.

I have threads about football, cricket, boxing, and something called ‘NFL’ which I don’t even know what it is! Meh. Someone talk to me about music, tonearms, valves, vintage guitars, 8 bit computers or something else interesting, please!

PS ‘Meh’ = indifference, not dislike. I honestly don’t care one way or the other about Hollywood gong shows. It isn’t me!

I have threads about football, cricket, boxing, and something called ‘NFL’ which I don’t even know what it is! Meh. Someone talk to me about music, tonearms, valves, vintage guitars, 8 bit computers or something else interesting, please!

PS ‘Meh’ = indifference, not dislike. I honestly don’t care one way or the other about Hollywood gong shows. It isn’t me!

Seems simple then. Close OT and you're golden!

Seems simple then. Close OT and you're golden!

Again, that would imply dislike, which is not the case. I don’t have to be personally interested in everything I host on a discussion forum by any means. I’ve no idea why you would think that?

Tony L said:
Someone talk to me about music, tonearms, valves, vintage guitars, 8 bit computers or something else interesting, please!

Ok, deal. I was going to give Basschat the exclusive rights but I think PFM is the true spiritual home for a bonkers* “Claire stuffs a Taurus and Mellotron Sampler, a 60hp Eurorack skiff loaded with DIY synths into a 1950s Hammond organ pedal & then tries to claim she is still punk AF”, thread.

…/diy or /off-topic? I am always in two minds, the latter might gets some riff-raff off the streets going ‘well that’s not very ladylike’, (plus side is a high likelihood of trekking)... but the former is full of scary wizards looking over their Oscilloscopes designing HiFi from first principles... & solder fumes.

*mmm Zebrano off cuts found... cheeky… mmm…

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back