advertisement

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although In my life I have enjoyed full employment, worked in a capital driven role spending multi millions of pounds to make vast profits for others, I have never ever voted for my personal benefit. My vote is based upon what in my opinion is best for the country, treatment of fellow human beings and common decency to others.

I can understand people being anti Jeremy Corbyn and voting against him and his policies but what is beyond my comprehension is how anyone can vote for such a blatant liar as Johnson.

Perhaps some of the inequalities that obviously exist in the current political system which is quite black and white, would be improved by making our voting less stark ......sadly I and many others will never see a PR system introduced.

Most of my life time has been under Conservative governments and increasingly it seems that very few MPs have educational or social backgrounds to understand the needs of the majority of people.

I agree....if the election had gone the way I wanted it I would probably have lost half my income... but you know what.. I'd just have found something else to do instead.

The key question for the Labour party after this election is how it can come back especially in todays mostly post union world. If I was involved I would open 1 stop advice community centres in the derelict high streets and make touch with the electorate again through serving the local populations. Any rebirth will have to come up from the streets as Westminster is just out of touch.

I’m not crowing. I hate the result and despise Johnson and the interests he represents. But yes, there’s an element of told-you-so.

The only ideas I will share with you are unoriginal to the point of banality. The LP has to be a coalition of different tendencies, where people from the centre to the far left can feel comfortable. If your party persists with purges of centrists, red Tories and other sensibles, it will shrivel and become a fringe party, condemned to putting ramshackle coalitions together. It has to focus on the pursuit of power and forget ideological purity. It needs to find more effective leaders and communicators. Only when in power will it be able to make a difference for its members and for the country as a whole.
There really wasn’t any purge, or ideological purity: there was a refusal to demonise immigrants and benefits claimants, which is what people generally meant when talk turned to pragmatism. Not compromising on that, or on an ethical foreign policy, but if the right of the party have ideas about other stuff no-one’s going to shout them down. The trouble with the right is that, apart from transphobia, they haven’t come up with anything new for years: the idea that they’re being censored by ideological puritans is basically cover for that.

Agree that a good communicator would be very useful right now: someone who can aggressively take Johnson to task on the upcoming Brexit fiasco, because no journalist will. It’s very sad that we lost Pidcock, who could’ve done this from the left, but I’m actually not sure how important the leader’s politics are right now: they’ll struggle to shift policy to the right.

The key question for the Labour party after this election is how it can come back especially in todays mostly post union world. If I was involved I would open 1 stop advice community centres in the derelict high streets and make touch with the electorate again through serving the local populations. Any rebirth will have to come up from the streets as Westminster is just out of touch.
Yes I think there’s no getting past this. Although unionisation is also key.

We're human. As old age approaches, and having worked our cods off for 40 years, we don't want our pensions taxed even more, feel ill and worry about how long is left (hence remembering we went to church once, and just maybe????) but, more right wing? maybe but less evidence for that. Cautious aching and grumpy I agree with :)

The true blue brigade don't worry about feeling ill and having to sell their house to pay both the medical and care costs as they grow older? They don't worry about their children or grandchildren and their legacy? I find that truly remarkable.

The truth surely is that it IS our system of voting as a party with a minority share of the electorate's votes holds a large majority of its representatives now. On that point, I feel quite strongly, that it really is time for change. People seemed happy enough with PR when it came to 2016.

I don't see Corbyn's LP policies as anachronistic, nor 'economic nonsense'.

I think that's a very fair point. They were far more akin to those of the successful EU Economies than those that we have ended up with. We don't refer to Germany, Holland or France as anachronistic or Marxist in 2019.

Will we get to see the MI6 report into Russian Meddling in the UK Electoral Process now?

You must do your research a little better.
I’ve been on this site 5 years longer than you and have posted 4 times more rubbish than you.
For my next pronouncement I will tell you what the Labour MPs need to do next.
At least 50 of the non nutters, led by someone like Kinnock, need to break away and form a new party.
Having made initial enquiries before leaving the LP, they need to attract all those Labour and Tory ex MPs who resigned or were chucked out, including the ones that went to the LDs.
Then they may have a chance in 5 or 10 years time.
The present LP is terminally ill. It needs to continue dying with all the left wing nutters in there.
As others have said, complete tosh, but I presume this your strategy for ensuring the country stays blue.

Whereas Johnson is a self-serving, narcissitic, lying, cheating, lawbreaking, far-right colluding racist buffoon full of more crap than a Fison's warehouse. How do you think that's going to turn out over the next 5 years?

Oi!

I worked in several Fisons warehouses, shopfloor and management. What 'crap' are you referring to? And was it Fisons Pharmaceuticals, or Horticulture, or Scientific Apparatus, or Research & Development, etc, etc?

Thanks. . .

I agree....if the election had gone the way I wanted it I would probably have lost half my income... but you know what.. I'd just have found something else to do instead.
If any election had removed half my income I'd have been homeless and unable to feed my family. OFC I'd have shrugged and said...yeah, that's fine, I admire the principles.
Right.
Or not.

If any election had removed half my income I'd have been homeless and unable to feed my family. OFC I'd have shrugged and said...yeah, that's fine, I admire the principles.
Right.
Or not.

Well to be fair I'm self employed and have always tried to live well within my means... it gives me a cushion should I need it. But anyway...

Who cares!

It is sadly no surprise that a Conservative voter has little interest in democracy or that government actually represents the people who vote. It is also clear Dominic Cummings will move us even further into the dark realm of fascism, he’s even made it a manifesto pledge on p48. The UK is a banana republic, but without the good weather or bananas. The one thing we are definitely not is a democracy.

PS Vote Matthew!

Yes, it's not our system of voting.
No use bleating about it now. Labour lost because the leader was totally crap and backed by a 70s throwback idealogy that will never engage with the population as a whole.
Labour need to adapt or die, simple as.
They need to cut Momentum loose.
The problem, 2D, is not labour lost but that it enabled the tories to win, and win unfairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back