advertisement

Classic Movies

Well, it contains two of the finest actors ever in John Mills & Charles Laughton. The latter plays a brilliant drunk.

Although he was a good actor.. I could never find Mills 'likeable'. I'm very fond of the Mills version of H.G. Wells 'The History of Mr Polly' ..though mostly because it perfectly captures my own understanding of the lost innocence of the Edwardian period just before WW1.

For me, classic films evoke the black and white era.

''On the Waterfront'. Brando defines brooding.

'39 Steps'. Hitchcock masterpiece

Although he was a good actor.. I could never find Mills 'likeable'. I'm very fond of the Mills version of H.G. Wells 'The History of Mr Polly' ..though mostly because it perfectly captures my own understanding of the lost innocence of the Edwardian period just before WW1.
I can understand that but I think he took on a range of roles which would daunt a lot of modern day thespians.

I could never 'get' John Mills either. I certainly wouldn't describe him as one of the best actors ever.
As I said below you need to look at the range of roles he did. The film Dulcima is a really good example, plays a very odd character.

C'mon no one mentioned anything by Kubrick:(
Given recent TV on the end of the Soviet Union ,have to say ------
Dr Strangelove----How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.
If that's not a classic---------------;)
Recently on free to air-------maybe still on Iplayer.

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961)
Classic film rating -
British (tick)
B+W (tick)
Sci-fi (tick)
Good (tick)
It's got Leo McKern in it (tick)
It's on TV soon (tick)

Talking Pictures, Monday 16th, 1130 to be precise.

Already got it recorded.. though I've seen it many times..

If we're into 'Classic' Sci Fi.

Forbidden Planet

This Island Earth

The Thing

The Day The Earth Stood Still

Hitchcock gave us many classics. Rebecca was one of his great early films and, of course, he later gave us Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, and so on.

The Third Man was another great, classic mystery film.

Does that mean I can’t have ‘scouts guide to the zombie apocalypse’ either?

as it’s nearly here I’ll go with Alistair Sim in ‘A Christmas Carol’.

advertisement

Back