advertisement

Classic Movies

Not one of the greatest films ever made, but I really liked Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance, partly I think because I have childhood memories of the actual events, locations, and some of the characters. Mark Rylance was particularly good as Rudolf Abel. The Berlin crossing point scenes still send shivers down my spine!

Not too sure re 'about to be shown free to air', but I saw this a few days back.
Small but worth seeing:
'Bad day at black rock', with Spencer Tracey as the unwilling hero.

I am a fugitive from a chain gang. Great story of a man in the wrong place at the wrong time and a life that pivots as a result. No spoilers, but the end is very dark.
Is "La Haine" old enough now (1992) to be regarded a "classic movie"? It has a young Vincent Cassell in it, he's not a lad any more. Must be top side of 50.

Film noir classic Double Indemnity. Sharp fast dialogue, great performances esp Edward G Robinson and with all the treachery some tenderness as well.

Not too sure re 'about to be shown free to air', but I saw this a few days back.
Small but worth seeing:
'Bad day at black rock', with Spencer Tracey as the unwilling hero.

I was just about to mention this. It seems incredible that a film like that could have been made at that time. I find Lee Marvin absolutely chilling in it; he says virtually nothing but a carries an expression of such cold hearted malevolence.

And Spencer Tracey just rocks.

More coming through the grey mist...

'Laura' (1944) with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews. Superficially a little detective story but so much more, with a stellar cast and a hint of Hitchcock. Watched a couple of weeks ago on Talking Pictures

''Rope' Low key Hitchcock but totally absorbing.

Being thoroughly disappointed with most modern films on Netflix/amazon which are a variation of the same theme we watched "The 39 Steps" on youtube, the old Donat version. It had John Laurie from dads army in it!

My favourite film noir is 'Out of the Past' (aka 'Build My Gallows High'), starring Robert Mitchum and a very menacing Kirk Douglas.

Is that the one where Kirk says that hanging will turn your throat to mush!

Is that the one where Kirk says that hanging will turn your throat to mush!

I think so. My favourite bit is when Douglas walks in unexpectedly on Mitchum (who's about to double-cross him) and says 'Now me, I hate surprises'.

advertisement

Back