advertisement

Hard times for Linn

Good luck to them, but the UKP92k per employee is why there are so few HiFi companies left in the UK.
That would be a good figure in Malaysia, where I would expect basic assembly workers to cost me UKP5k per year
The production staff will be getting nothing even close to £92k pa, nothing like, my guess, based on working for similar small companies for 30 years in the UK, is production staff will be on low to average wages of say £13k to £23k, engineers from £23k to £43k something like that. Key staff a bit more perhaps. The £92k figure is something else ...

The production staff will be getting nothing even close to £92k pa, nothing like, my guess, based on working for similar small companies for 30 years in the UK, is production staff will be on low to average wages of say £13k to £23k, engineers from £23k to £43k something like that. Key staff a bit more perhaps. The £92k figure is something else ...

Revenue of £92K per employee, not salary!

Revenue of £92K per employee, not salary!
Ah! Well that explains it, when davidsrsb quoted costs for Malaysian assembly workers I assumed somebody was suggesting Linn assembly workers were costing £92k ... my mistake, as you were!

Edit: probably should wake up, finish my coffee, before posting ...

Ah! Well that explains it, when davidsrsb quoted costs for Malaysian assembly workers I assumed somebody was suggesting Linn assembly workers were costing £92k ... my mistake, as you were!

Edit: probably should wake up, finish my coffee, before posting ...

No worries, there's plenty of dafter posts on this thread from those who claim to be fully awake :D

Imagining is generally what you have to do as I'm yet to meet one :D
The teachers at my boys' school in the sixties "knew about real life" as most of them were ex-Forces types in the war who then worked in industry and other fields before going into teaching. Just what you want, it seems.... except some of them just weren't very good teachers.:rolleyes:

(off topic apology but see my earlier spot-on contribution)

Actua
Actual costs per employee are rather higher than those wage figures with taxes, pension etc. It all gets a bit tight when revenue per employee is not that much higher

Actua

Actual costs per employee are rather higher than those wage figures with taxes, pension etc. It all gets a bit tight when revenue per employee is not that much higher

Too true, which is why most have shifted at least some if not all manufacturing overseas, Shanghai in case of the company I work for. The usual out-dated ideas of quality I had when joining have been blown away, lower cost than UK, oh yes, poorer quality, er, no, not that simple, actually many PCBs arrive in the UK with less testing and yet lower rejection rate than my experience of more complete testing from UK suppliers that claim aerospace standards ... but now I am firmly off topic, except I suppose in so much as it is related to the the general state of UK manufacturing?

I haven't read the whole thread and I too sympathise with the potential plight of the workers. However, I can't help thinking Linn are more than a bit responsible. Their attitude to dealers at times has been dreadful. I've also experienced the fake foot tapping bullshit. Their prices for many bits may well be in line with others, but their pricing of the LP12 is now ludicrous. I've also seen the fake shocked surprise and bewilderment when you admit to not being impressed by some bit of Linn kit, or the barely concealed head shaking etc.. as if you are a slightly naughty child who ought to know better. I've even experienced this sort of thing from Linn reps when working as a salesperson. "Other stuff 'can be ok', but once they get it.. they all come around to Linn.". Err.. no.. they don't. Just like all other kit, Linn is variable..imperfect and fallible. And their suport for older kit isn't wonderful either. Contrast their general 'pitch' with that of many who make equally good and equally expensive kit, but don't have the 'attitude'.

The LP12 is no more expensive than a lot of high end TTs, eg SME. The upward rise in hi-fi prices is not unique to them. Their attitude towards dealers stinks though IME.

I still really like my LP12.

The sad truth is, dispite its stellar reputation, Linn's minor role in vinyl resurgence makes it current position unsurprising.

Moved on my 1993 LpP12 Cirkus with it Lingo 1 a few years ago. Don't miss it. Also sold my mint Ittok LVIII Mk2
When I was in a dealer's this afternoon.. they were getting the new 'entry level' SME 12A demmed to them. I managed a bit of a look and a quick listen. No slouch from what I heard.. Very good looking bit of kit too. and a snip at £8k ;)

As others have already pointed out, posting a loss does not a failing company make. Linn has been around a fair while, and knows its market. If their kit stops selling and being profitable they'll no doubt respond by changing their sales model. or go bust. Me, I still enjoy my ancient LP12 and apart from a brief flirt with SME, I've stuck with it despite hearing the many record players that are supposed to be so much better.

Whether a few hi-fi nerds on a forum like Linn or not probably doesn't figure too highly in Linn's marketing strategy.

As others have already pointed out, posting a loss does not a failing company make. Linn has been around a fair while, and knows its market. If their kit stops selling and being profitable they'll no doubt respond by changing their sales model. or go bust. Me, I still enjoy my ancient LP12 and apart from a brief flirt with SME, I've stuck with it despite hearing the many record players that are supposed to be so much better.

Whether a few hi-fi nerds on a forum like Linn or not probably doesn't figure too highly in Linn's marketing strategy.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it they are not listening.The pfm 'cliques' have decided Linn is going down the pan and are offering their wealth of experience at running audio companies to point out where they have gone wrong. Utterly laughable in here sometimes!

The sad truth is, dispite its stellar reputation, Linn's minor role in vinyl resurgence makes its current position unsurprising.

The sale of LP12s ( and other expensive turntables ) is tiny.
I have a friend who runs a record shop and also sells turntables, amps. & speakers.
He stocks turntable types from USB to what we on PFM would call ‘normal’ turntables.
Not expensive ones, as he says no-one ever asks for them.
The only reasonably expensive t’tables he sees are those brought in for repair,
which he often moves on to me to look at.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it they are not listening.The pfm 'cliques' have decided Linn is going down the pan and are offering their wealth of experience at running audio companies to point out where they have gone wrong. Utterly laughable in here sometimes!
What's worse is the underlying 'wish' for Linn to fail..............I've worked with Linn for years in the past and visited the factory many times.
Lots of lovely genuine people work there who would be out of a job if Linn went bust.

£500 in 1982 would be £1,733.46 in 2018 according to this calculator:

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

I realise there are different ways of calculating inflation.

My subjective impression is that Linn/Naim prices have risen in general by more than inflation, but another factor is that electronics today are cheaper then ever thanks to China etc.

Tim

In 1979 I paid £576 for a new LP12 with Syrinx Tone arm. In 1981 I auditioned and brought a new Trio (Kenwood)
L-07D direct drive that walked all over the Linn in a number of direct comparisons, but it was nearly twice the price of the LP12 / Syrinx then at £1,100. It is though still running perfectly in my system with only minor servicing 38 years later.

Today a new full spec LP12 / Ekos SE costs £18,870. A new Technics 1200G costs £2,650. I know which I would take in regard to both a measurement and subjective sound quality, let alone price. If you really want to get into diminishing returns then a Technics 1000r is £14K, still nearly £5K less than the Linn. It is difficult to see Linn as competitive at their current pricing structure.

In 1979 I paid £576 for a new LP12 with Syrinx Tone arm. In 1981 I auditioned and brought a new Trio (Kenwood)
L-07D direct drive that walked all over the Linn in a number of direct comparisons, but it was nearly twice the price of the LP12 / Syrinx then at £1,100. It is though still running perfectly in my system with only minor servicing 38 years later.

Today a new full spec LP12 / Ekos SE costs £18,870. A new Technics 1200G costs £2,650. I know which I would take in regard to both a measurement and subjective sound quality, let alone price. If you really want to get into diminishing returns then a Technics 1000r is £14K, still nearly £5K less than the Linn. It is difficult to see Linn as competitive at their current pricing structure.

I would hope at twice the price, that the Trio would have been the better deck!

Does the Technics 1000r come with a cartridge? As far as I was aware it didn’t... so perhaps not nearly a £5k price difference since the Kandid is about £3200, and a superb cartridge.

The 1200G is a really nice deck, but it’s not as good as a maxed out LP12 to my ears... compared to a Majik LP12, I’m not so sure. The Majik LP12 does also include a very great cartridge in the asking price, so by the time you’ve added an equivalent (or even the same cartridge) to the 1200G, it’s actually about £200 more than the Majik LP12.

I certainly don’t think the LP12 is the best deck at any given price point, but it is one of many options and people do buy it, because they like it. Personally if I were looking at a deck at around £3k now, I’d be auditioning a few other options including the Roksan Xerxes 20+, Rega P10, Technics SL1200G and some tasty used LP12s (there are a few highly reputable dealerships that have a range of options there). If I had a budget closer to full Klimax LP12 level, I’d be making some serious comparisons to SMEs offerings, both the Klimax LP12 and the SME 20 are as good as I could ever wish for, but if I had the choice between them, I’m not sure which one I’d take!

advertisement

Back