advertisement

How many times have you returned an LP

DavidS

pfm Member
I have returned a few due to pressing quality but I had 6 copies of Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker before keeping one I found to be acceptable.
Anyone else frustrated by this ?

I had to return a copy of the same album due to the centre hole being oval. The shop had had other returns of the same disc. So possibly a rogue pressing. I did manage to get a good one though.

Kevin

VERY seldom.
Some pressings are really poor and if that is the case (which I find to be very rare), you can return as many as you like, they will all be in different states of p-poorness.

I am buying about 5 new pressings per month, as a guess...……………….

Just checked, something like 12 this month so far.

About a third of my Amazon vinyl buys have been returned for various problems, badly warped, pops and clicks, noisy, damaged sleeves.

Had to return a few others to other outlets for much the same problems.

I have exchanged up to 5 times I think, usually by then I come to the conclusion that all copies will have the pressing noise or huge dish warp. I remember going through every copy of an album in Fopp a few years ago, every copy had the same fault. I just kept opening them up. The staff weren't happy, but I didn't want to get home with an imperfect product (shop was 12 miles away, so awkward to do a return)

I’ve had to send back three records for replacement this year, 2 due to damaged covers (Amazon packaging not up to usual standards) and 1 faulty pressing.

Returned Ride's new LP to HMV this weekend due to disc 2 having a massive warp. I just loved the way the sales assistant handled the LP. She took both discs out of their inner sleeves by gripping the sides with fingers and thumbs before inspecting them both with her fingers all over them. She didn't appear to be looking for a warp but scratches instead..maybe she didn't understand what 'warped' meant? Put both records back into inner sleeves with openings facing down when she popped them back into the outer sleeve. Now HMV have decided aim for the vinyl market, with the racks now moved prominently to the front of the store, it's good to know they have trained staff that know how to handle vinyl :rolleyes:

I purchased John Martin's "One World" in 1977 and it had to go back several times. In the end the shop told me all the pressings were crackly so I gave up. Bought the cd in the 80s

Brought the recent Steve Miller band 1967-1976 box set- from Amazon- went back four times ( all LP spines split) then no internal packaging.... gave up in the end.:(

Returned Ride's new LP to HMV this weekend due to disc 2 having a massive warp. I just loved the way the sales assistant handled the LP. She took both discs out of their inner sleeves by gripping the sides with fingers and thumbs before inspecting them both with her fingers all over them. She didn't appear to be looking for a warp but scratches instead..maybe she didn't understand what 'warped' meant? Put both records back into inner sleeves with openings facing down when she popped them back into the outer sleeve. Now HMV have decided aim for the vinyl market, with the racks now moved prominently to the front of the store, it's good to know they have trained staff that know how to handle vinyl :rolleyes:

I had to return my copy of Prefab Sprout's Life of Surprises double LP to my local HMV as several tracks had skipped on my Rega RP10/Apheta 2. One of the assistants explained the store manager had introduced a policy of playing any faulty vinyl to confirm there is an issue. He then put the album on an Crosley clone TT, and listened to it on headphones. While this was going on, another assistant, after my querying the use of such a cheap POS to try the record, said 'if it doesn't skip on this, it won't skip on anything'. After some discussion with this guy on the cost of our personal turntables (he said he had a '£2000 Stanton, like all the top DJs use'), his colleague informed me that there was 'no skippage'. However, he gave me a replacement copy due to the attitude of his colleague.
If HMV are serious about supporting the vinyl market, they have to up their game WRT staff training and how to deal with returns.

advertisement

Back