advertisement

Employer liability

So... if you are working away for your employer, said employer has full responsibility for your health at all times, regardless of what you are up to or what time it is. I suppose if you were not on 'business' you would not be 'there' in the first place.

It could be that the employer has not got adequate policies in place to cover extra-curricular activities?

Lucky bastard. When I die I want it to be while having sex with a French woman.

If she happens to be a stranger I've met in a hotel that day, so much the better.

Bastard. Lucky, lucky bastard.

Not just a stranger, but apparently a perfect stranger...

Only in France, punish the private companies until they give up or just say non. Even with Brexit I don't see how they can overtake the UK in the overall economic rankings that we see. Some reasons:

1. Employers must pay an additional 30% of the employees' gross salary to feed the national pension pot, which...
2. allows employees to take at least 2/3 of their final 3 years' salary for the rest of their life. This is a time bomb.
3. 2 hour lunch breaks where everyone goes at the same time, so the doors end up locked and the phones don't get answered. It's not all organisations, but it is a huge number, possibly half in the private sector, probably three quarters or more in the public sector.They do work slightly longer days but this stop en masse is not really in harmony with global business pulses. A lot of the time I can't get stuff done.
4. No school on Wednesdays. Really, really difficult for me as a single parent. Not great for all families with 2 working parents. Which is most of the ones I know here. I pay for mine to go to a morning club but it still stuffs the day up and so I have to make it up in the evening and at weekends. Again, not good for businesses.
5. The forms you have to fill in to get things done is possibly quadruple what I was used to in UK. Eg my UK VAT return requires about 6 figures. The French one requires 42.

I am genuinely baffled how the French manage to maintain 7th position in the world economic rankings.

Not keen on going home but do feel very burdened to the point where I wonder if I should just pack it in as a company owner and just get a job here.

So this court ruling does not surprise me really. Companies get a rough deal here from just about every angle.

Yet more whining from our resident trapped ex pat.

Come home for God’s sake if it’s that bad, or realise when in Rome...

Yet more whining from our resident trapped ex pat.

Come home for God’s sake if it’s that bad, or realise when in Rome...
Well if you could be arsed to consider everything I wrote you will note I would consider getting a job here now and winding the company down. A job in the public sector. Obvs...

I wonder how the broken marriage vow did not trump this nonsense:

'An employee on a business trip is entitled to social protection "over the whole time of his mission" and regardless of the circumstances'

Only in France, punish the private companies until they give up or just say non. Even with Brexit I don't see how they can overtake the UK in the overall economic rankings that we see. Some reasons:

1. Employers must pay an additional 30% of the employees' gross salary to feed the national pension pot, which...
2. allows employees to take at least 2/3 of their final 3 years' salary for the rest of their life. This is a time bomb.
3. 2 hour lunch breaks where everyone goes at the same time, so the doors end up locked and the phones don't get answered. It's not all organisations, but it is a huge number, possibly half in the private sector, probably three quarters or more in the public sector.They do work slightly longer days but this stop en masse is not really in harmony with global business pulses. A lot of the time I can't get stuff done.
4. No school on Wednesdays. Really, really difficult for me as a single parent. Not great for all families with 2 working parents. Which is most of the ones I know here. I pay for mine to go to a morning club but it still stuffs the day up and so I have to make it up in the evening and at weekends. Again, not good for businesses.
5. The forms you have to fill in to get things done is possibly quadruple what I was used to in UK. Eg my UK VAT return requires about 6 figures. The French one requires 42.

I am genuinely baffled how the French mange to maintain a 7th position in the world economic rankings.

Not keen on going home but do feel very burdened to the point where I wonder if I should just pack it in as a company owner and just get a job here.

So this court ruling does not surprise me really. Companies get a rough deal here from just about every angle.

When I used to do an EMEA role, the French offices literally shut for the whole of August. Nobody could get any business done (of course, the customers were all on holiday as well). Used to drive my US boss absolutely bananas. He once told me to fire the lot of them. I told him he can’t, which was like pouring petrol on the fire!!

When I used to do an EMEA role, the French offices literally shut for the whole of August. Nobody could get any business done (of course, the customers were all on holiday as well). Used to drive my US boss absolutely bananas. He once told me to fire the lot of them. I told him he can’t, which was like pouring petrol on the fire!!
Right, August is quite bad. But actually I was away for a week of that this year, so the blow was softened. I daren't employ anyone here, so I have a partner instead and my missus is moving out this month and will join me at work too.

Local staff? No thank you.

I never managed any of this month off nonsense when I worked there.

turn your van into an ice cream van.
tempting to be fair....I'm just imagining the barriers to stopping and trading on the street like that. And the noise too. I did actually see my first ice cream van today.... there must be a reason....so it's likely a non-starter.

I never managed any of this month off nonsense when I worked there.
Me neither. I suspect it is the main reason I have made the business a relative success here, i.e. I work harder than pretty much everyone I know. This was not so in UK.

advertisement

Back