advertisement

Sony TA-F870ES from 1991. Any good?

Mr Magoo

Hello. How are you?
Hi
I have an opportunity to buy a Sony 870es amplifier from Germany. I am assured that it will work fine in the UK. However, I have to buy without ever having heard one. A couple of questions. Are these oldish ES amps from Sony any good? Secondly, the amp has an integral phono stage that can accommodate moving coil cartridges. Is the phono stage any good on these?

The amp was serviced a couple of years ago.

My other kit is a WTA Versalex with Dynavector 17D3 and speakers are PMC Twenty23s The room is the upper range of medium sized, so the 120 watts in to 8 ohms is very tempting. I noticed an Arkless phono for sale here. Would this outperform the onboard Sony phono?

Many thanks

They're truly excellent amps but bear in mind that a German unit will probably be a 220v version.

The onboard phono stage is very good and you might not feel the need to upgrade.

Yes, if in good nick, they have a unique sound, very musical, smooth,bags bags of power and low listening fatigue.:)

At least my 770 does so the Lord knows what that 870ES sound like.

Do let us know how you get on- good luck.:)

I recommend you measure your mains voltage. UK mains voltage is 240v (not 230v as some would have you believe). The mains voltage is my house is nearly 250v and there's no way I'd personally want to use an amp designed for 220v on my 250v supply.

I found the MM phono section to be very good and about on par with a Trichord Dino.

There's little difference between a 770ES and 870ES.

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I’ll bear in mind the comments regarding voltage, but based on comments to this point, I think I’ll go ahead and make the purchase (before our imminent EU exit and tax becomes an issue).

Peter

Hi
I have an opportunity to buy a Sony 870es amplifier from Germany. I am assured that it will work fine in the UK. However, I have to buy without ever having heard one. A couple of questions. Are these oldish ES amps from Sony any good? Secondly, the amp has an integral phono stage that can accommodate moving coil cartridges. Is the phono stage any good on these?

My other kit is a WTA Versalex with Dynavector 17D3 and speakers are PMC Twenty23s The room is the upper range of medium sized, so the 120 watts in to 8 ohms is very tempting. I noticed an Arkless phono for sale here. Would this outperform the onboard Sony phono?

Many thanks

The Arkless phono stage will better the SONY- l know this as l have a 770ES and the Arkless-great little phono stage that Arkless.

Hi

Many thanks
I own a Sony 700ES. Went from a well known amplifier manufacturer to the Sony. I won't be returning to my former amp!
Not your particular amp but it might give you an insight into the ES range. Sony TA-F700ES Mid 80's excellence Comparathon - Product Reviews & Opinions - StereoNET I went ahead and did the mains mod as described in the link and all's well. But your amp might not allow you to do this. It all depends on what type of transformer is fitted.
Regards
Ray

I had the same brand at the heart of my system for 30 years. This is a real sonic adventure for me, so am taking a few risks to try and maximise my bang for buck. The trouble is, there’s so much choice.......not that it should be a problem in itself. I’m going ahead with the Sony subject to confirmation of service etc.

Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to contribute. I’ll wait and see on the phono.

Peter

Best of luck- I owned a 770ES modded by Mike P and it was a great amp - good phono stage too. The thing about the Sony is that it's very neutral indeed - nothing is added or exaggerated - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

A bucking transformer should look after any voltage issues, a 20-30 volt drop will keep you safe. Just make sure you have sufficient current capacity, the Sony is quite a beefy amp.

Very good but depends on the system. I’ve try to match it to some Sonus Faber and didn’t worked. It resulted in boring sound, similar to an Accuphase (much more expensive!). But lots of control and power.

I guess it needs some more lively speakers. Pairing is key as usual...

Thanks again for the contributions. Have taken the plunge and purchased. It looks like the speaker connections don’t take banana plugs. They’re big, but appear blanked off. Am I correct in this or perhaps the photo is misleading? Can’t find much about this amp on the interwebbie thingamyjig. Plan on using Chord Shawline speaker cable. It’s fun buying blind. That’s the Mr Magoo way,,,,,,,

Peter

Thanks again for the contributions. Have taken the plunge and purchased. It looks like the speaker connections don’t take banana plugs. They’re big, but appear blanked off. Am I correct in this or perhaps the photo is misleading? Can’t find much about this amp on the interwebbie thingamyjig. Plan on using Chord Shawline speaker cable. It’s fun buying blind. That’s the Mr Magoo way,,,,,,,

Peter
Hi Peter.
Your correct in your findings regarding the speaker outlets,they won't take banana plugs, they are indeed blanked off. But the terminals will take quite hefty cables.
You will not be disappointed with the sound of the amp. I'm extremely happy with the 700ES.
Regards
Ray

The 870ES arrived today. The amp is physically substantial at 24kg. All hooked up and I have to say it sounds remarkably good. In fact, I’d have to say it’s excellent. Still early days though, but I’m very impressed. The phono (MC in my case) is very good. Plenty of power, very balanced sound and more to come as it gets in to its stride.

Thanks for all your positive comments and advice. Glad I bought this amp.

Peter

advertisement

Back