advertisement

Roon, tell me about it

It's a fun and informative browsing experience, but I'drather focus on listening to music.
That’s kinda one of my main queries.......
Once I’ve selected something to listen to, whether it’s via Tidal or from my ripped library, I really just want to listen, not necessarily read sleeve notes & reviews/recommendations etc.
I’m prepared to accept the extra info may open my eyes a bit & that’s great, but for me it’s more about the SQ primarily then the stability/reliability of operation.
Thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming!

Once I’ve selected something to listen to, whether it’s via Tidal or from my ripped library, I really just want to listen, not necessarily read sleeve notes & reviews/recommendations etc.
I’m prepared to accept the extra info may open my eyes a bit & that’s great, but for me it’s more about the SQ primarily then the stability/reliability of operation.

It sounds as good as Audirvana running on a general purpose computer and it sounds even better if you run it on purpose-built hardware. The production releases are generally stable and reliable. Don't underestimate the value of the way it draws threads between different music and artists. This is one of Roon's most unique and compelling features.

It all feels rather different from putting a disc on

Is is. Roon is fantastic but it does have its disadvantages compared to spinning discs. My MacBook Pro running Roon just died some I’m spinning CDs until I can replace the computer.

The SQ is fine. It outputs bit perfect data. Any software that does will not sound different (don't allow yourself to get drawn down that rabbit hole) . When streaming, if the master they have is the same as a cd, then it sounds the same. The stability and reliability has been 100% in my experience.

A major benefit to my mind is the integration of Tidal and Qobuz which in conjunction with the extended meta data allows you to effortlessly discover new music which might be similar or related to what you are listening to. if you like something on qobuz/Tidal you "virtually" add it into your library.

I buy very little new music these days but I am listening to and streaming more music than ever.

I also extensively use the multi room features using Raspberry Pi endpoints. It has Internet radio too. Radio Paradise is great IMO.

It really is the best software out there. People baulk at the price but that doesn't make sense to me when they are happy to spend hundreds or thousands on say a dac. The music player software is a fundamental and crucial part of modern hifi systems.

No, your player is the core, your files can be anywhere on the Network (preferably a NAS)

That's not strictly accurate.

Strictly Stereo said:
Roon comes in three parts. There is a Roon Core server which indexes music and optionally carries out additional processing (resampling, EQ, DSD conversion etc). There is at least endpoint which outputs the audio. Finally, there is a controller which allows you to select what music you want to play, which endpoint to use, volume and other settings. These components can all run on the same device, depending on the device, or they can be distributed across multiple devices. The music can be stored on the Roon Core server or on network attached storage.

Strictly Stereo got it right.

When you install Roon on a PC/MAC (not a phone or tablet with the app) it asks you if the device is the core - meaning where the processing and library management is done, or if the installation is "just" for playback/control.

A core device can also be the control device, but isn't necessarily. Some people have "headless" servers/NAS with limited graphics ability but with computing power - on those you actually install something called Roon Server- the full program minus the graphical UI. With that install, the processing is all on the server, but you need either the control app installed on a phone/ tablet, or the full graphical version of Roon installed on a computer such as a laptop as a "non-core" installation just for control/playback.

Another option is to install the full install of Roon on a computer that includes your library and do all your processing and playback/control from that. Say on a system run from a laptop that has a desktop system attached or self-contained playback from the laptop.

The third option is the one you mentioned. Roon Core on one device and pointed to files on a NAS/Server elsewhere on the network. Control then is either from the core device itself, or from the app on a phone/tablet or another PC setup as a non-core Roon device.

The SQ is fine. It outputs bit perfect data. Any software that does will not sound different (don't allow yourself to get drawn down that rabbit hole) . When streaming, if the master they have is the same as a cd, then it sounds the same. The stability and reliability has been 100% in my experience.

A major benefit to my mind is the integration of Tidal and Qobuz which in conjunction with the extended meta data allows you to effortlessly discover new music which might be similar or related to what you are listening to. if you like something on qobuz/Tidal you "virtually" add it into your library.

I buy very little new music these days but I am listening to and streaming more music than ever.

I also extensively use the multi room features using Raspberry Pi endpoints. It has Internet radio too. Radio Paradise is great IMO.

It really is the best software out there. People baulk at the price but that doesn't make sense to me when they are happy to spend hundreds or thousands on say a dac. The music player software is a fundamental and crucial part of modern hifi systems.
I do have a problem morally with streaming, how do new artists survive without physical product. Appreciate there are other factors but..

I have three different streaming/digital data ways of playing music. All sound identical now.. BUT roon beats everything else hands down, on EVERY aspect.
Controversial i know, but i did notice replacing the NAS's SMPS which is my roon streaming + server brought about the equalisation

With the likes of QNAP (or Synology) you can install roonserver on it, which can then be controlled via the roon app (iPad/iPhone/Windows laptops) and use it as the streamer. Simply take USB out from the NAS to a DAC. NO need for a streamer or Pi whatsoever...

Buy a QNAP, flexible and powerful:
https://blog.qnap.com/create-the-ultimate-home-audio-system-with-qnap-and-roon/

QNAP TS-251+ with 8GB RAM c£300:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SanDisk-...909175?hash=item5b54b0fcf7:g:UjkAAOSwmxVckiJN

Install roon to NAS £400:
http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

USB cable from NAS to DAC:
https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/1m-usb-2-0-type-a-to-b-cable-cromo-line-p11343

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It all feels rather different from putting a disc on

It is, but I look at it this way - I own about 1040 Cds. I probably access about 40 of those on a rotating basis, and miss the opportunity to listen to some of the other stuff I own (never mind the streaming aspect).

Now I have the convenience of having ripped them all to a device, and an app I can now conveniently get to them using, with no loss of sq - much better for me.

There are clearly other ways of doing this, but the time spent on getting Cds onto a library this way are a win for me (and my wife, who has instantly started using Roon and finds it very easy).

Not yet. Hopefully by the end of next week. I'll post something on a thread once complete, poss with some photos.

I've had a loan Zenith II and some speakers being fed by an Onkyo AV Receiver via Airplay, so I've not been without tunes.

Yes. Happy to continue this elsewhere, but also very aware I don't want to go off topic on this thread...?

I'm afraid I still don't see the need for such a complex set-up as Roon, that costs money, when I can get perfectly good functionality using a simple (and mostly free) setup.

I'm afraid I still don't see the need for such a complex set-up as Roon, that costs money, when I can get perfectly good functionality using a simple (and mostly free) setup.

It's not for everyone, I'm constantly reading review sites, buy magazines, get suggestions off friends and keep my eye on new releases, so most the time I know what I want to listen to, for everything else I listen to what I feel like. I'm currently discovering Yes who were before my time, while this is happening Roon is no use whatsoever, I can go straight to my BluOS app and put the albums on through that.

What Roon is good at doing is pointing out the albums that are in my library that I might have forgotten about, I took out a years subscription and I'm still in two minds whether to renew in August when it's up.

If you are only interested in listening to your own music Roon probably is overkill, but when you add a streaming service like Qobuz in then it becomes very powerful and worthwhile ime. I pay less than a pound a day for Roon and Qobuz which to me is ridiculously good value. I don’t understand why you think Roon is “complex”. It is not necessarily any more complex than any other player, and simpler and more intelligible than many.

I wonder why Roon is so very expensive? I don't really need it - I listen to Classical music, and get most of my new listening prompts from Radio 3 - but I might have given it a chance were it more modestly priced.

Lots of good info here guys, much appreciated.
My digital system comprises of a headless MacMini, wired ethernet, a Jolida DAC & for several years I've been using Audirvana+.
My iTunes library is on an external HD which is USB'd to the Mac,& I use Tidal hifi stream. My ipad acts as a remote control, although I have the Mac HDMI'd to my TV to make it easier to do updates etc. The MacMini is only used for music, I have a separate computer in another room for all the usual tasks.
If I'm understanding the terminology correctly, my MacMini would be my "endpoint" & the iPad would be the controller?
Although I have some Sonos in other rooms, it is only for the kitchen radio & soundbar duties, so I don't foresee a need to put Roon through that as well.
Unless my set up requires more hardware to make Roon work (I think my set up is sufficient?), I reckon a trial is the way forward for me.

Lots of good info here guys, much appreciated.
My digital system comprises of a headless MacMini, wired ethernet, a Jolida DAC & for several years I've been using Audirvana+.
My iTunes library is on an external HD which is USB'd to the Mac,& I use Tidal hifi stream. My ipad acts as a remote control, although I have the Mac HDMI'd to my TV to make it easier to do updates etc. The MacMini is only used for music, I have a separate computer in another room for all the usual tasks.
If I'm understanding the terminology correctly, my MacMini would be my "endpoint" & the iPad would be the controller?
Although I have some Sonos in other rooms, it is only for the kitchen radio & soundbar duties, so I don't foresee a need to put Roon through that as well.
Unless my set up requires more hardware to make Roon work (I think my set up is sufficient?), I reckon a trial is the way forward for me.

I use Roon on an Innuos Zen Mk3. It's a piece of cake and I'm a totally non-technical person. The quality improves significantly if you store the music files internally on an Innuos formatted drive and go for the Zen as it has separate internal linear power supplying the usb output (which I assume you will use to your Jolida DAC). Just get rid of the computers and external storage in your digital system. The benefits are large. Sonos is a closed system and just keep using the Sonos app for those rooms. Roon will only work on devices that are Roon Ready or Airplay enabled. They are increasing in number, for example Bluesound.
https://roonlabs.com/partners/bluesound.html

Call Innuos UK support - they give excellent advice.

I wonder why Roon is so very expensive? I don't really need it - I listen to Classical music, and get most of my new listening prompts from Radio 3 - but I might have given it a chance were it more modestly priced.

Roon costs 33p per day. For that you get a beautiful music browsing experience and a tool chest full of processing and integration options. With it you can seamlessly connect together and control equipment from a wide range of manufacturers. Try it. You'll either get it or you won't.

advertisement

Back