advertisement

Nait 1 Speakers - Epos ES11 or Russell K Red 100

Charlie_1

pfm Member
Currently using Majik 140s/steel bases and LP12SE/Radikal/Urika/Krystal.

The 140s are pretty good with the Nait 1. They are tuneful and do boogie, but I think I might be able to find something better. I can't put my finger on the exact weakness/mismatch. The sound does become a bit 'hard' at higher volumes but not sure I can ever get away from that.

Tried Katans and they didn't boogie with my serviced Nait 1 at all. Also have Kan 1s but will leave them for a second system as I do like a bit more bass for main system. I can try some old Keilidh's at some point too, but not for a few weeks.

Open to other recommendations, but the ES11 and Red 100s seem like good contenders.

I have read old threads recommending Rega Ela mk1 and Royd Minstrels, but these are hard to find.

I know the Nait 1 is weak, but I really like it and prefer it to anything else I've heard, including the slightly more powerful Nait 2 plus several others amps from various manufacturers.

Speaker cable is K400. I am on the look out for 3.5m-to-5m of NAC A5 to compare against.

I would dem the Red 100s prior to purchase. Epos would be a plunge into 2nd hand market but wouldn't lose too much. I heard the original Epos drivers were much better, but perhaps that is just the ES14 - can't seem to find any old posts about this.

I mainly listen to rock/pop.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Many Royds are getting a bit old now, but if you can find a good pair, I would certainly consider them. They’re probably going to cost a lot less than anything newer like Russel Ks. I rather like the Red 50s, in some ways I preferred them to the 100s, nicer mids.
Good idea to ditch the K400, in my experience Naits don’t like to be biwired.

Many Royds are getting a bit old now, but if you can find a good pair, I would certainly consider them. They’re probably going to cost a lot less than anything newer like Russel Ks. I rather like the Red 50s, in some ways I preferred them to the 100s, nicer mids.
Good idea to ditch the K400, in my experience Naits don’t like to be biwired.
Thanks.
I'm gonna hear the Russell K range now.
Sorry, should have said that the K400 is just single wired - it's cut in half down the length, but it's only 2.5m, not 3.5m as recommended.

I had a Nait 1 with Epos ES11 but I listened nearfield (On stands, either side of my pc, so very close to my ears). I thought they were very, very good but i'd imagine most of that was because of the nearfield position. Tried the same speakers in my main system (Naim cd 3.5, Hicap, 102, 180 or Chrome 250) and the bass was bloated and they were nowhere near as alive sounding.

Same again from me! I have the red 50’s on the end of a SN2 and they really do rock! Didn’t go much on the 100’s, too much treble for my ears!
My previous speakers were priced at £3750 and the £999 50’s are just so much better, more musical!, in my room!

Strange that people say the russell k 50s are preferred to the k100s saying they are too bright as they both use the same tweeter, what i found was that the k100s are harder to get to sound at their best, being bright when new but mellow out after a good running in period.Also they are fussy about distances from the back wall about 300 mm or a bit less is about right and speaker cable is also critical.When set up right they are a very nice speaker,this is my take on it, but do try at home if you can over a longer period as possible as with any speaker you room could have the final say.

I had a Nait 1 with Epos ES11 but I listened nearfield (On stands, either side of my pc, so very close to my ears). I thought they were very, very good but i'd imagine most of that was because of the nearfield position. Tried the same speakers in my main system (Naim cd 3.5, Hicap, 102, 180 or Chrome 250) and the bass was bloated and they were nowhere near as alive sounding.
Thanks Fatmarley. The Nait 1 doesn’t have much bass compared with other Naim Amps I’ve tried, so maybe that’s why they were a good match. I wouldn’t be listening near field but my room is only 4 x 4.5m.

Thanks everyone for their Russell K feedback. I’m worried the Nait will struggle to drive the 50s. Aren’t the 100s easier to drive? Even the Nait 2 seems to have quite a lot to poke, using 140s at least.

Never felt the original Ela's to be a difficult speaker at all, these will for sure be a good match, quite possible the cheapest if you can find a good pair
Don't discharge some RS1, perhaps easier sourcing

I remember using ES14 on a Nait 2 when my 250/72.. was away a couple of days, this was decades ago, still a period I very much enjoyed my records, honestly limited dynamics. No doubt early Epos was their best, 11 or 12 too, were among my favorites

Minstrels are a joke, buy them at your peril.

In the wrong room or with badly matched electronics, I'm sure they are. The other problem is the bass drivers can be gummed up but sometimes the voice coil gap is only slightly restricted and this affects the frequency response. Also, if the drivers have ever been removed, the rubber damping blocks will drop to the bottom of the cabinet and may not end up being refitted.

A well sorted pair of Minstrels in the right room/system can sound excellent.

In the wrong room or with badly matched electronics, I'm sure they are. The other problem is the bass drivers can be gummed up but sometimes the voice coil gap is only slightly restricted and this affects the frequency response. Also, if the drivers have ever been removed, the rubber damping blocks will drop to the bottom of the cabinet and may not end up being refitted.

A well sorted pair of Minstrels in the right room/system can sound excellent.
Whats the right room? I had mine - briefly! - with olive naim - 72 etc, they were terrible. Thin, small soundstage, just a joke really.

The ES11 is one of my favourite speakers. I have sold and bought them again at least twice. Your room is quite small so I'd go for them even though then would benefit from a bit more power. The Nait 1 is very fashionable at the moment and the more powerful Nait 3 not at all. So after you have had them for a couple of months I'd borrow a 3 and see what you think. Then swap across and go out for a nice meal on the difference.

I bought a Nait 3 just because it was cheap (£250) to stand in while my main amp was fixed. I think it is a bargain.

The ES11 is one of my favourite speakers. I have sold and bought them again at least twice. Your room is quite small so I'd go for them even though then would benefit from a bit more power. The Nait 1 is very fashionable at the moment and the more powerful Nait 3 not at all. So after you have had them for a couple of months I'd borrow a 3 and see what you think. Then swap across and go out for a nice meal on the difference.

I bought a Nait 3 just because it was cheap (£250) to stand in while my main amp was fixed. I think it is a bargain.
If the Nait 3 is voiced like the 72/140 then it's not for me, but the only way to be sure it to give it a go. I've tried Nait 5i too.

You have Kans and arent using them?

admittedly the Nait is a bit low spec but it should work ok!
I'll be using them on a second system. The Nait 1 is being repaired at the moment so not heard the two combined as yet. Looks like it will be Monday now. I think I will miss the bass in the long term though, using Nait1/Kan 1s in my main system.

advertisement

Back