advertisement

Avondale NCC300 amp project ..

To say I feel like that one character from that Roald Dahl book is an understatement. Thank you for what you do Les.

In the end, I like attaching a BD237 via M3 bolt to a tapped hole, despite having to sort out the leg connections and hanging some components from the underside.

I also like the idea of bolting a device to the heat sink but that BD237 looks naff with the legs crossed over. Is it the same for the NCC220?

Nice one Alan, I'm running 2.250 bias which equates to 35°at the heat sinks after a few hours yesterday. I'll clip on two meters today and see what their doing mA wise. I was going to leave them on overnight with this higher bias to put some more hours on them..but thought better of it. So will run them all day today and check periodically.

Last edited:
Thanks Graham
With the type of heat sinking we have in the modushop cases I think you would be safe even at 2.3v the bias became stable
That said I think the figure you are using not is about right recon that would be about 150-160ma
I'm running mine 24/7 now
Be careful when checking the bias current to allow the cap banks to drain before disconnecting and connecting power rails

Alan

I also like the idea of bolting a device to the heat sink but that BD237 looks naff with the legs crossed over. Is it the same for the NCC220?

Naff? I thought it was an elegant dead bug.

The NCC220 has the wiring aligned for the BD237. Also, the NCC220 is through-holed while the NCC300 just has surface pads at the heat spreader.

Last edited:
but that BD237 looks naff with the legs crossed over. Is it the same for the NCC220?

Oh dear.... I thought it was a very good bit of light engineering as a solution to a problem, there are other ways of doing it. (you pays your money you takes your choice) Christ I've dead bugged loads of circuits (they look shite)... but their still working a decade later...but no one ever sees them...

Naff? I thought it was an elegant dead bug.

The NCC220 has the wiring aligned for the DB237. Also, the NCC220 is through-holed while the NCC300 just has surface pads at the heat spreader.

Thanks Flash. I wasn’t complaining but if the tracks are aligned on the 220 why not on the 300? Anyway it’s nothing I can’t sort out ;) Once I’ve finished the 220s I’ll have to find time to crack on with the 300s.

The 220 is purpose-built to have the BD237 on the spreader while the 300 is designed for a 2N5551 on the PCB. It's then optional on the 300 to pull it out to the spreader, following some traces on the PCB. If you move the 2N5551, the tracks aren't crossed.
I like Les' suggestion of drilling a hole into the spreader and then just tucking the 2N5551 into the hole with some thermal paste. Then all of the legs line up with the traces. Job done. However, I hadn't thought of that, so I used the BD237, which has a hole for a mounting screw, but the legs aren't the same, so you end up crossing them in order to connect to the traces on the PCB. Hence, the dead but effective bug.

Nice one Alan, I'm running 2.250 bias which equates to 35°at the heat sinks after a few hours yesterday. I'll clip on two meters today and see what their doing mA wise.
Can you check the power consumption? I'm running 2.20V bias, resulting in 25° heat spreaders at rest. A "Kill-a-Watt" meter says my entire rack, including the two 300 converted NAP135s consumes 55w at rest and 75w playing the Ramones. ;) It sounds terrific (without the watt meter inline), and I'm loathe to use a lot of electricity and generate a lot of heat.

Can you check the power consumption? I'm running 2.20V bias, resulting in 25° heat spreaders at rest. A "Kill-a-Watt" meter says my entire rack, including the two 300 converted NAP135s consumes 55w at rest and 75w playing the Ramones. ;) It sounds terrific (without the watt meter inline), and I'm loathe to use a lot of electricity and generate a lot of heat.

That's close to nothing, my 9018 / NTD1 DAC consumes about the same.
That's very good news
Does anybody has the watt output at 4/8 Ohms ?

Just been alerted to this thread via the classifieds ref the NCC220 AMPS for sale.

Question (excuse my total ignorance) - can the M130s be upgraded to this new NCC300 module? I have three sets of Avondale built 130s in a Linn Aktiv Isobarik set up.

Many thanks

Just been alerted to this thread via the classifieds ref the NCC220 AMPS for sale.

Question (excuse my total ignorance) - can the M130s be upgraded to this new NCC300 module? I have three sets of Avondale built 130s in a Linn Aktiv Isobarik set up.

Many thanks

They won't fit, they're double width boards, think Voyager configuration with regulated front end + amplifier board.
The NCC220 is a straight swap for NCC200 though, and many have said how much better they are.

The 220 is purpose-built to have the BD237 on the spreader while the 300 is designed for a 2N5551 on the PCB. It's then optional on the 300 to pull it out to the spreader, following some traces on the PCB. If you move the 2N5551, the tracks aren't crossed.

Thank you for the explanation. For whatever reason I thought that both amps used BD237s.

I have been lucky enough to have been offered the chance to try a pair of Nap135s that have had NCC300 boards fitted. I’m very excited to try these and will report back :).

Mark I'm sure you won't be disappointed
My amps are sounding very good now I've knocked the Bias current back to 70ma and seems cleaner with better bass response to me
I have to say I am impressed, I am hearing individual instruments more clearly defined, some awesome bass and drum lines coming through I didn't hear with my voyages which were very good in their own right.
More to come I'm sure as wee keep tweaking this amp:);)

Alan

Does anybody know what a NAP300 deals with for voltages before and after regulation.
And could a NAP300 be used as a basis to achieve similar results to this project - by playing with the voltages and bias as per the recommendations in this thread.
Or am I way off o_O.

I think you would be better off selling the NAP300 and buying a pair of NAP135s.

Pete

This thread isn’t really about the Nap300; it’s about the Avondale NCC300 amp boards. You probably could gut a Nap300 and fit them but they were not really designed for that and it would be a very wasteful thing to do.

advertisement

Back