advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

these days, its about as good as one can get :) press release on steroids

its not like, many if any have been made available to reviewers,
am trying to get my hands one in the States from Pro-Ject directly
to put it through its paces.

@BertilR I see yours are "K 50 1000 6.3V". Mine all say "F7 OCRZ 1000 6.3V". Both OK @JohnW?
I have the "F7 OCRZ 1000 6.3V" too, but without one cap near front panel :confused: (Device was buyed on the Germany's e-bay).
In general, box works well , at least for headphones.
I had read somewhere above that new (up-to-date) instruction for DSD Playback will be published on the Pro-Ject site, but currently still see the old version (will very old ASIO components).
Is the any another configuration instructions exists with more modern versions of ASIO?

P.S.
@left channel , could you share with me latest Firmware Upgrade for S2 ?

I have the "F7 OCRZ 1000 6.3V" too, but without one cap near front panel :confused: (Device was buyed on the Germany's e-bay).
In general, box works well , at least for headphones.
I had read somewhere above that new (up-to-date) instruction for DSD Playback will be published on the Pro-Ject site, but currently still see the old version (will very old ASIO components).
Is the any another configuration instructions exists with more modern versions of ASIO?

P.S.
@left channel , could you share with me latest Firmware Upgrade for S2 ?

@Bango I'm sending a PM with the firmware, and also info on DSD/MQA local file playback setup as well as external power.

Elsewhere in this thread @JohnW recommended that someone with a missing cap sent the unit in for warranty repair.

@left channel , THANK YOU very much for link with latest firmware and very usable additional info!
I have setup all , configure device a more carefully according to User Guide and start to use external Power Supply together with USB connector.

So, I can say that this give at least +20-30% in SQ (this is what I able to hear in my PH)!
Will continue test on my amplifier and AC during weekend and back with results latter....

Thank YOU and @JohnW for support!

I got my new Pre Box S2 yesterday. I think I need the new firmware because of big problems in functionality. The same as I have found in this thread before. I have problems in DSD/MQA local file playback. I also would like to have some new information about the setup of Foobar. The information from Pro-Ject about this is out of date now and difficult for me to apply.

P.S.
@left channel, could you share the latest firmware and perhaps some usable information about Foobar?

fuller review here of the unit: http://www.stereolifemagazine.com/news/item/1306-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital

just messaged friend of mine here in the States - product director for Pro-Ject, and have asked him about availability and pricing
reckon across the pond, it will probably cost at least $399.00

if it does everything it claims that's one helluva bargain, would love to put it up against my Brooklyn DAC and Brooklyn DAC+

just heard from my friend at Pro-Ject.... the unit is backordered in the hundreds and they haven't even started shipping in the States - confirmation $399 if you can get your hands one one, as of this morning only two units are in the States and they are being exhibited at shows, most recently RMAF and CanJam

an optional (silver) remote control is available
Control it Pre Box S2 digital (silver)
MSRP $49
You have a Brooklyn DAC+ and now you can buy this pro-ject. Good choice.

I got my new Pre Box S2 yesterday. I think I need the new firmware because of big problems in functionality. The same as I have found in this thread before. I have problems in DSD/MQA local file playback. I also would like to have some new information about the setup of Foobar. The information from Pro-Ject about this is out of date now and difficult for me to apply.

P.S.
@left channel, could you share the latest firmware and perhaps some usable information about Foobar?

I've sent a PM to you with a link to a Dropbox folder containing the firmware, corrections to the manual, and a Zip file of the CD contents. Happy to help further if the information there is not enough.

What about this Dac only version? Is this also designed by John or it's completely a different product?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=302487213337

John designed the DAC but not the marketing, and therein lies the confusion. The DAC Box S2+ has a "plus" in its name because Pro-Ject sells a previous-generation product called the DAC Box S2, but in the new generation this product is actually a "minus" when you look at the features and design. It contains only a subset of the DAC in the Pre Box S2 Digital. No MQA decoding, and in the words of the designer himself,
The S2 Digital is the better DAC due to the dual ESS's & extra PSU's.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
John designed the DAC but not the marketing, and therein lies the confusion. The DAC Box S2+ has a "plus" in its name because Pro-Ject sells a previous-generation product called the DAC Box S2, but new product is actually a "minus" when you look at the features and design. It contains only a subset of the DAC in the Pre Box S2 Digital. No MQA decoding, and in the words of the designer himself,
Is this the same product? Why this difference in price?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=302516503473

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=382233277346

Can I use the Pre Box as a standalone Dac with an integrated? I have no need for headamp or Preamplifier..

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is this the same product? Why this difference in price?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=302516503473

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=382233277346

Can I use the Pre Box as a standalone Dac with an integrated? I have no need for headamp or Preamplifier..

I asked the German reseller about that. They said when they don't actually have stock, they raise the price to deter orders while still maintaining the listing. Seems counterproductive to me. Apparently the Italian resellers do have stock. We hope.

You can use the Pre Box as a DAC only. Just set the volume control to 0 dB and use the RCA output jacks.

So any comment on sound quality? Is this all about the features (DSD, MQA), or it does sound good? I'd be interested to know how compares with the MDac.

Last edited:
So any comment on sound quality? Is this all about the features (DSD, MQA), or it does sound good? I'd be interested to know how does it compare with the MDac.
@JohnW should know, he designed both. My personal opinion is that it sounds good right out of the box, and very good with improved power (I use an iFi iPower).

So any comment on sound quality? Is this all about the features (DSD, MQA), or it does sound good? I'd be interested to know how does it compare with the MDac.

All I can say is that with external power and an anti-jitter product on the USB port, it holds its own against a similarly-accessorized Magni/Modi 2U. The two products may sound different to some, but which sounds "better" is a subjective and personal opinion. The Modi does not support MQA or DSD.

I have not heard the MDAC or MDAC2. About the MDAC2, John has stated, "By design it's better then our little Project DAC - and many good things are being said about the Pro-ject (it just won the ESIA award)". He is developing a ministreamer around that as well.

You have a Brooklyn DAC+ and now you can buy this pro-ject. Good choice.
am going to be reviewing the Pro-Ject S2 Box - not intimating in any way that it is going to replace my MYTEK, am just really curious to see and hear if at the price point the S2 can be a contender.

You lucky your capacitors have low ESR, my capacitors have twice as high resistors at the same frequencies "E S R (7mΩ/at 100khz ~ 300khz Hz, 20℃ Max". My capacitors have 15mΩ / at 100k ~ 300k

Have those been confirmed to cause a measurable change to the output? Have you contacted Pro-Ject about exchanging your unit?

advertisement

Back