advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

Is it possible to install MDAC2 (L3) boards by ourselves ? What is the difficulty level ?

According to what you say previously I'm in for (in scheduled appeareance order) DTOX, MDAC2-L3, VFET, FDAC w phono stage.

Could renata send me a state of my instalments ?

Bests

Yes, for sure it will be sample task of upgrading the MDAC, so we will only need to send you a PCB (complete with attached rear panel) & VR PSU.

The hardest part is to "break / loosen" the screws holding the front and rear panels - they can become tight with time. I plan to supply a suitable Torx driver...

The best solution is for me or someone else :) to post a YouTube Video with step by step instructions - I've no Video editing setup here so lets so how to get a Video posted...

All get Renata to follow up with up with you in the next couple of days - if you have Renata's Email then just give her a ping directly :)

Best Christmas Wishes :)

The best solution is for me or someone else :) to post a YouTube Video with step by step instructions - I've no Video editing setup here so lets so how to get a Video posted...
I edit videos regularly in Blender, though I'm sure there are people better at it. :)

Its snowing here ATM :( I'm trying to image how its in Sheffield? :)

Not sure about the South of the West Riding but here in the West of the West Riding (Sheffield is also in the West Riding. C'mon keep up) it's mild but very wet.

Merry Christmas everyone and here's looking forward to a glorious sounding 2017.

I edit videos regularly in Blender, though I'm sure there are people better at it. :)

Thats great, we could get together and create a Video - maybe we will get Renata to do the upgrade so that its performed from a "non technically skilled persons" perspective :)

I left the project over a year ago. At the point I joined there was no disclaimer saying “not refundable”. I’m still waiting for my money.

I'm sorry for you. But I can see you are being ignored. if I were you I'd post a lot more on the issue, make a lot more noise, until it becomes really very hard to ignore you. Either that or walk away. I've been there with one-man-band audio manufacturers and it can be a painful lesson. Good luck to you.

Corr!!....a lots been going on the last two weeks...Just wanted to say seasons greeting and best wishes to all.....and that I love the look of the HQ-PSU in the new VR case, and as usual John's design of it exceeds my expectations again...being able to wire the Detox from it is a great idea....maybe the VR chassis will become the Lakewest trademark look...a bit like the naim boxes....whoops, need to wash my mouth out with soap again.

Like I said before....if you own an MDAC the MDAC2 board is a no-brainer....and when the FDAC arrives, sell the MDAC2 on.

John,

I've got close to all torx sizes from xxxxs (laptop computer screws) to 3 cm approx....

Moreover you opened my unit four years ago so it should be easier.

Have a nice christmas night

I'm sorry for you. But I can see you are being ignored. if I were you I'd post a lot more on the issue, make a lot more noise, until it becomes really very hard to ignore you. Either that or walk away. I've been there with one-man-band audio manufacturers and it can be a painful lesson. Good luck to you.

Darren,

Its Christmas and rather busy - but I have PM connected NuTron with an update.

John,

I've got close to all torx sizes from xxxxs (laptop computer screws) to 3 cm approx....

Moreover you opened my unit four years ago so it should be easier.

Have a nice Christmas night

For sure your unit will be easier to open - I was thinking more about other "unopen" MDAC's...

Its not that easy to find a good quality Torx bit so will be better if we can supply complete with the "update" kit :)

Corr!!....a lots been going on the last two weeks...Just wanted to say seasons greeting and best wishes to all.....and that I love the look of the HQ-PSU in the new VR case, and as usual John's design of it exceeds my expectations again...being able to wire the Detox from it is a great idea....maybe the VR chassis will become the Lakewest trademark look...a bit like the naim boxes....whoops, need to wash my mouth out with soap again.

Like I said before....if you own an MDAC the MDAC2 board is a no-brainer....and when the FDAC arrives, sell the MDAC2 on.

Tim,

Yes indeed :) the VR chassis recently designed for the miniAMP's makes for a perfect solution for the MDAC2 PSU and justifys the tooling costs... not to mention the Amps are not expected until later in the year, so atleast we can put the chassis design to good use before then - and keep those new CNC machines busy :)

Merry Christmas :)

Sorry if it's been mentioned earlier, is there a ballpark figure for the M-DAC 2 "at cost" cost? A rough idea would be fine.

Steve,

For the moment these are the expected development fees:-

MDAC2 Stg1 PCB "At cost" GBP150 - GBP250 plus shipping & VAT(+ GBP400 development fee, this includes the PSU development fee).

MDAC2 VR PSU GBP150 ~ GBP200 Plus shipping & VAT

Stage2 (Streamer PCB) GBP100 to GBP150 "At Cost" + Shipping & VAT + GBP50 Development fee

Stage3 (ADC) Development fee GBP100 + "PCB at Cost" GBP100 - GBP150 + Shipping & VAT

These are target pricing and based upon 1GBP = US$1.6.... if the GBP remains weak against the dollar then sadly the pricing will be at the higher end of the target as we pay in US$.

I'll do my very best to keep the pricing to a minimum.

Hi all,
Maybe this has already been answered...will the FDAC have some form of RPi CM3 option too? It seems that the MDAC2 is almost more attractive if not for ultimate SQ :)

John
Are the MDAC2 stages incremental i.e. If I want stage 4 ( the slave capability) do I have to have stages 1 to 3 ? OR could I just select stage 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back