advertisement

Skinheads

fay spook

pfm Member
I am sure we will hear about the working class lads not wanting to or being able to ape the middle class drop out hippy look.

A great look. No music of their own at first so the latched on to some of the best music ever. Later there was skin music but some of it had some unpleasant associations.

A movement derailed but good while it lasted- as ever!!

Looking forward to the rest of the program.

Well worth the watch.

I was very wary of how skinheads were going to be portrayed, especially as I was one from 67-70. Don Letts portrayed it as it was more or less for me. The only major difference being, we rarely wore Martins and mainly wore tailor made suits and trousers, 501's, with loafers or brogues with metal tips. I suppose we were direct descendants of the original mods who also adopted some American fashions. Our shop of choice, forgotten the name now but it was either in Edgware or Burnt Oak shops
by the tube. We also had a couple of black muckers but only one of them followed this fashion. Come the late 60's a different element came to the fore and it was time to be someone else.

Bloss

Very good program IMO. It was interesting to learn about the early days as my memories are only of the racist thugs of the late-70s onwards really. They were people you didn't want anywhere near your gigs or clubs! I was aware the look had come from somewhere more interesting but didn't really know the history.

A lot of the look was assimilated into new-wave and 80s indie I guess. I always wore DMs, 501s (both black) and had a usually somewhat grown-out #1 haircut (still have, with added baldness), but I was never, even remotely, a skinhead!

PS Gary Bushell is utterly delusional! Oi! was racist to its core from the off.

Very good program IMO. It was interesting to learn about the early days as my memories are only of the racist thugs of the late-70s onwards really. They were people you didn't want anywhere near your gigs or clubs! I was aware the look had come from somewhere more interesting but didn't really know the history.

A lot of the look was assimilated into new-wave and 80s indie I guess. I always wore DMs, 501s (both black) and had a usually somewhat grown-out #1 haircut (still have, with added baldness), but I was never, even remotely, a skinhead!

PS Gary Bushell is utterly delusional! Oi! was racist to its core from the off.

...and he always has been delusional about it.

I remember going to gigs in that era, for instance sham69 supporting Tom Robinson. I was genuinely confused as to what was going on.
I wore my cherry red DM's with pride in the day but going to rock against racism gigs, I soon stopped that fashion moment. I was in my late teens but still quite naive about the anger & sometimes violent hatred.
I was in Southall the night the Hamborough Tavern was torched, at Southall College of Technology doing my night school classes. I'd borrowed a mates motorbike, not entirely
Legal. Thought all the mounted police/riot vans were after me just because of some knobbly tyres & no MOT! When I got back home is saw the TV News & realised they had bigger fish to fry.
Matt.

Only twice, talking daft both times.

He was actually a decent music journo along with Dave McCulloch at Sounds when punk first happened. For some reason when Oi came along he turned into the complete twat we all now know and hate. Anyway I've got a takeaway due to be delivered and this here Skinhead programme lined up. More later...

I think Jimmy Pursey might disagree with you... ;)

Sham '69 weren't Oi!, they pre-dated it, and when the racism came to the audience Jimmy Pursey exited after doing a Rock Against Racism gig. My recollection, and the Letts film did nothing to alter the timeline, is the Oi! thing arrived later at the beginning of the '80s and was very much a part of the 'racist skinhead' thing. Bushell attempted to deny this, as he always does, but he would, wouldn't he? The twunt. I never rated Sham '69, but Pursey seemed a decent bloke. IIRC from the film they split in '79.

I was down in Cornwall with some schoolmates on a post A Level surfing holiday in 1978.

Sham 69 were down there, they did an impromptu unplugged gig.

Decent programme overall. Captured the contradictions inherent in it some of it every well. Shame it got more aligned with forces of evil like violence, racism and West Ham.

A mate of mine was Sham 69's tour manager. He is a West Ham supporter and left wing. He has taken pictures of the Sandinistas in Nicaragua and the ANC in South Africa, prior to Mandela becoming President.

Sham 69 have had quite a lot of influence on bands like Primal Scream. Their tune Hurry Up Harry was the basis for Hurry Up England, the unofficial 2006 World Cup song.

Must get around to watching the Skinhead doc.

Jack

I never rated Sham '69, but Pursey seemed a decent bloke. IIRC from the film they split in '79.

Her indoors met Pursey and found him a little full of himself. The music press thought Sham would be the next thing on from Punk (misunderstanding what punk was). Them along with the Ruts. Now they were a good band. I have to admit S(w)ham had some good singles.

Would love to hear your partners asides to above, looks like you are looking for a bit of bovver.

Bloss

I'm sitting in this cell for something I didn't do
And all I can think of is baby I think of you
Don't worry baby coming back for you

There's gonna be a borstal breakout

advertisement

Back