advertisement

AVI DM10 - Active System

The vast majority of people here agree with me, in fact I'm merely representing the consensus view. Way back when you and Ash were relentlessly spamming this site with unsubstantiated marketing blather, slagging off countless competing products and evading any even remotely technical question you generated more post reports than anyone in the history of the site! You may think that is a good marketing strategy, many of us don't! Just go. No more posts from you on this thread please.

PS Foot slowly getting better, thanks.

Some of the AVI marketing here sounds like Donald Trump talking about Donald Trump. E.g.:

"AVI is a very valuable company and has attracted interest from new commercial investors. Professional users are very keen on AVI." – jcbrum

"[Donald Trump] is a very valuable [leader] and has attracted interest from [voters with intellect and taste]. [True patriots] are very keen on [Donald Trump]." – Donald Trump

The DM10s would be cheaper but I bet these speakers would blend in seamlessly aboard a Romulan ship.

AV-VoiceNavy.jpg

4ba160fc7d78a997160e9d9370a96e05.jpg

Some say they're so transparent that they practically disappear from sight, as though they work like some sort of cloaking device.

Joe

I was listening to those very speakers only last week - then the doorbell rang and I was so surprised I forgot to turn off the cloaking field; I haven't been able to find them since :(.

No skin off my nose either way, Still. Looks like Romulus (OP) will be able to get the info he seeks. Just not here. It's a shame for PF really.
The info he seeks? Read the two posts from the OP. Do they look like posts from an audiophile seeking information or do they look posts from someone trying to spread the word?

I must confess I find the whole AVI marketing baffling. I assume most people that buy AVI products must be aware of the shilling, exaggeration if not outright fibs but it doesn't seem to matter. Why not? Why aren't people with an interest in the products more wary and looking for independent evidence if they recognize AVI themselves to be unreliable?

The products themselves look OK to the extent one can tell. Not top performance but likely decent performance. A bit expensive but given they are manufactured in small volumes the price does not look unreasonable. Has an independent party measured the technical performance of their current speakers?

I don't think they are expensive at all, they actually represent great value. But agree re the marketing and the bull.
Great value compared to what? The technical performance is likely to be on par with the better £500 pro active "nearfield" monitors and below that of the better £1000 "nearfield" monitors like this one. The pro digital versions are probably not what is wanted for the home and so there would be a control unit to consider but there is no way the AVI product is great value compared to the products from large well resourced companies manufacturing on a much larger scale.

The product itself looks reasonable and the price reasonable given the small scale of the design and manufacture. What is interesting is the marketing which I wouldn't expect to work yet it seems to at least to some extent. Why?

I think you should listen to some and then compare to pro kit? As stated before, they are very good and I have owned ADM9's.

As you can see from my signature, I have pro kit so I'm not averse to that route.

So ADM9s are now legacy (this being the term AVI have adopted to describe superseded equipment) speakers - is support still available should they develop a fault (AVI don't seem very keen on supporting their other 'legacy' gear, amps, CD players etc.).

I did have a look on the AVI website and there are some vague specifications (though -6dB at 50Hz puts things into perspective) but no actual evidence to support any of the claims (plots, graphs, measurements) which seems odd for a company so devoutly objective in stance. It did make me smile reading about the silk dome tweeter and the paper cone mid/woofer though - particularly given the company's profuse pontification about how 'high tech' everything is....ferrite magnets, silk and paper drivers and copper shorting rings - yes, all very 'high tech' 30+ years ago :).

How did you open the door with the doorknob being stuck in the tweeter?

Well that's a long story - as it turns out I was surprised because it wasn't the front door but the trans-dimensional portal (to the fourth order dimension I believe) that had recently been uncovered in my dining room (under a stack of Practical HiFi and The Flat Response magazines); the really surprising thing is that it turns out it's fitted with a 1970's tri-tone door chime!

Tony, you've got a bee in your bonnet about Ashley and AVI, as everyone can see, and for no reason at all really.

You perhaps need to get out a bit more. Hope your foot gets better soon.

JC

watch me being an ass as i'm pretending to not be an ass. a*i marketing in a nutsell.

I think you should listen to some and then compare to pro kit? As stated before, they are very good and I have owned ADM9's.
Why would I be interested in an active speaker with a 5" midwoofer, 1" tweeter on a flat baffle, 8th order crossover which costs £1500? It is too expensive for the technical performance offered, the driver's aren't large enough to provide high fidelity in a room, the directivity mushroom made worse by the choice of crossover slope will introduce significant coloration when listening (quietly!) in a room, etc...

Just because the DM10 is a long way from meeting what I want in a speaker that doesn't mean it cannot meet what others want from a speaker. So for those people that are looking for something like the DM10 why doesn't the form of the marketing lead them to look elsewhere or at least be cautious rather than enthusiastic?

Tony, that statement is factually incorrect. It's an open forum, not heavily moderated (like this one), and there for all AVI users and enquirers.

You might have your opinion, but other people will have theirs too.

You ask for facts, and Cav said this
" As to performance, that can either be on measurement or subjective preference. I doubt AVI would win on measurement."

I replied
"On the contrary, whist subjective assessments can result from often quirky personal preferences, I think that objective assessment based on measurements would show AVI to be a clear winner, if only on distortion alone."

Here are the true facts and specifications published by AVI, by Martin Grindrod, AVI's designer and Engineering Director.

Grindrod wrote:
There seem to be some posters that have real trouble accepting the claims made by Ashley I thought I would just post some facts since I actually made the measurements and did the analysis [AVI ADM9]:
Regarding distortion in crossovers:
I measured a typical 2 Way 2nd order LR crossover designed for a crossover frequency of 3.5kHz using a number of different inductors, using the drive units as loads at 10W the electrical harmonic distortion was typically 1% (-40db) for the iron cored inductor samples and 3% (-30dB)for the ferrite cored samples which was a suprise! Measurement frequencies were 1 octave either side of the crossover frequency. I did not use an aircored sample because it was highly resistive (0.8ohms) compared to the drive unit impedance which in itself introduces response anamolies of the order of 10% (-20db) which , since the drive unit signal is in error compared to the input in the passband of the filters,it can legitimately be called distortion. In practice response anomolies are measured with all the inductor types due to their resistance. (This is particularily noticable in 3 way designs where the lower crossover point requires large values of inductance)
By contrast the active filters used in the ADM9s have distortion typically -96dB at the frequencies used above, this means that the active filters in the ADM9s are very much more than 1000 better than the passive crossover.
The mid-band distortion of the ADM9 amplifiers is typically –96dB so even including the amplifier the distortion in the voltage received at the drive units will be better than 50dB lower than a perfect amplifier driving a passive crossover.
Regarding damping factor:
The amplifiers in the ADM9 are optimised for the loads that they see, the output impedance is typically 1mohm mid band, there are two short cables (9”) direct to the drive units.
Now consider a typical passive system, firstly, in order to ensure the amplifier is stable into a wide range of loads it will have some form of output coupling, either a damped inductor or series resistor. Also the typical output imedance is much higher than the ADM9 amplifier since the ADM9 circuit produces an exceptionally low output impedance. Typically the amplifier alone may have an output impedance from 50mohms to 0.5ohms in some cases. Add to that the connector and cable losses, typically 50mohms for 3m of 2.5mm2 cable, and then the crossover losses which may typically be 0.3ohms at DC then the source impedance seen by the bass driver will typically be 0.4ohms to 0.9ohms compared to the couple of milliohms seen by the bass driver in the ADM9.
An important point to make is that in the passive system from a decade either side of the crossover (i.e., 350Hz for the bass driver in the example above) the source impedance rises significantly as the crossover frequency is approached. It is a common mistake to visualise things happening close in around the crossover frequency but in practice things start happening at least a decade away!
I hope this goes some way towards showing that the claims made, not just ADM9s but active speakers in general, are real and factual, correctly designed there are huge advantages in terms of drive unit control and distortion, all this is measurable and is not just ‘an opinion’
I hope this helps in putting this one to bed!
Martin

JC

Hilarious

- and demonstrably wrong on multiple fronts; and wrong-headed; and long-since done to death here.

The only sane response is to utterly Ignore; don't give this kind of BS and astroturf 'marketing' the oxygen of publicity.

The copy on the AVI website does make you feel you are being wacked over the head repeatedly with a shovel . Random example...

Extra-long linear travel tweeters
The tweeters have a superbly damped silk diaphragm, extra-long linear travel and no less than two copper shorting rings to remove eddy currents. The result is the smoothest sweetest top anyone could ever wish for.

- and demonstrably wrong on multiple fronts; and wrong-headed; and long-since done to death here.

The only sane response is to utterly Ignore; don't give this kind of BS and astroturf 'marketing' the oxygen of publicity.

Their customers don't come from here. All pfm gets is the sense of injustice that lingers in the AVI posts. I don't join in much these days but do keep my eye in

Their customers don't come from here. All pfm gets is the sense of injustice that lingers in the AVI posts.
There are a number of AVI owners posting in this thread. Did they buy AVI equipment without being able to recognize the form of the marketing or being exposed to criticisms of the marketing? My suspicion remains that some, perhaps many, knew the form of the marketing but it didn't put them off. Why not?

advertisement

Back