advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Detox very much exists - its sitting atop an MDAc upstairs :) and works better then I had hoped for :)

Amongst other things I'm currently preparing the Detox documentation for production etc.
Sorry John not aimed at you or it. I'm glad i exists as pre- production model (if that's the right expression). I'm sure that once in production it will be the most effective USB reclocking device in existence. I appreciate that you are working flat out on this but do we have a rough outline of when it (and, later F dac) might be coming into production?

Not that I'm in a mad rush, just that I like to have something to look forward to

According to John's initial listening impressions it turned out to be a much better idea than expected.

Perhaps you should get a grip.
I defer to you as ever in the matter of assessing imaginary products.

Stephen,

Very soon after your post I did posted an update with the progress on the FDAC project, especially with the Digital PCB progress and the LCD / Audio path development PCB now built.

:(

sorry must have missed it in all the off topic stuff :), did you mention any delivery schedules on the Detox ?, seems tantalisingly close now

Sorry John not aimed at you or it. I'm glad i exists as pre- production model (if that's the right expression). I'm sure that once in production it will be the most effective USB reclocking device in existence. I appreciate that you are working flat out on this but do we have a rough outline of when it (and, later F dac) might be coming into production?

Not that I'm in a mad rush, just that I like to have something to look forward to

Well I hope that by mid April Jarek will have the first spin of the FDAC digital PCB board ready to issue - we have been working on a small test PCB to de-risk certain sections in areas that concerned us the most - the Audio path has been confirmed, really we are waiting on getting the display going on the small test PCB then we can finalise the Digital PCB design.

I'll be "out of action" during my pending trip to China with regards to the Analogue PCB progress - but will be working on other FDAC items such as the chassis and production vendors etc. My attention has been turned to the FDAC Digital PCB and Detox recently - but results from Detox have directly impacted the direction of sections of the FDAC digital PCB so its work that has not been lost on the FDAC's final performance.

While I'm away in China, Jarek and Thomas will still be continuing with the FDAC project.

The rather significant impact of the Detox on the MDAC sound quality has focused our attention to reducing such sensitivities on the FDAC + incorporating other Detox technologies within the FDAC.

sorry must have missed it in all the off topic stuff :), did you mention any delivery schedules on the Detox ?, seems tantalisingly close now

Well - once I've completed the Documentation and design update - its in the hands of China production progress... lets see (he says with a little fear), 2-3 months before they arrive at your door with shipping etc.

I'll have say 10 pcs of T0 production units within 1 to 2 months once I've issued all relevant documentation and I'll ship these to PFM members for early evaluation...

As soon as I've completed the documentation and I no longer need the prototype Detox here - I'll send it over to Jem if time allows for its first "public" evaluation - hopefully Jem :) can arrange a local (Oxon) PFM listening session.. but lets see :)

The rather significant impact of the Detox on the MDAC sound quality has focused our attention to reducing such sensitivities on the FDAC + incorporating other Detox technologies within the FDAC.
Sorry if I missed something. I remember your post that the USB 1.1 made a bigger difference than 2.0. I took from that that it was the galvanic isolation that made most difference. Doesn't the FDac have two layers of isolation? Does it need more? apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

I've always thought that a pre/DAC with three channels of power (for centre and rear channels) would integrate brilliantly into a two channel HiFi (with already decent stereo power/passive speakers or simply active speakers) to cover an obvious gap in the market.

Perhaps that could be integrated into this FDAC design?

Are you implying that the Detox is an imaginary product? Or have you changed your mind yet again? :D

Again I think you really should get a grip.

Thomas did doubt. Well all designs pass through the imaginary states and they get real as they evolve. We are lucky that John's experience will eventually deliver and we believe him when he states success.

The test of whether something exists isn't whether I own an example.
Quite right. Ask Radamel to lend you his. Or just get one from the shops, or straight from the production line; after all it's a product isn't it, not a prototype, pre production sample or proof of concept?

Quite right. Ask Radamel to lend you his. Or just get one from the shops, or straight from the production line; after all it's a product isn't it, not a prototype, pre production sample or proof of concept?

So your line of argument is to say that as a product is in a preproduction stage it is imaginary and can't be a good idea. Brilliant!!!!

Thomas did doubt. Well all designs pass through the imaginary states and they get real as they evolve. We are lucky that John's experience will eventually deliver and we believe him when he states success.

I think adamdea is just annoyed because the Detox apparently helps to solve some of the issues with digital audio reproduction that he thinks are imaginary. :)

Even if it currently only exists as a pre-production sample it can't be described as 'imaginary', which is what you described it as earlier.

So your line of argument is to say that as a product is in a preproduction stage it is imaginary and can't be a good idea. Brilliant!!!!
Certain EB speakers were also apparently in production, few people got them, then it turned to be a big scam. So yes, I can quite understand a product being imaginary until one gets a real sample.
For me, it's "real" as I had the opportunity to hold it myself, though I know only of one sample.

Remember - the only sure things are death and taxes.

Sheesh calm down everyone. Mr Westlake has made some good headway this year to be fair. There are additional people onboard too who will provide results, or wouldn't have signed on I am sure :) ...I am an impatient person by default but realise some good things will come of this.

Suggest find other things to keep yourselves amused in the meantime, like I am doing (nCore amplifiers are doing my nut right now...so I'm not waiting with bated breath for every update here these days) :)

Intended with respect

Happy Easter

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back