advertisement

What are you listening to right now # 46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, thanks for the heads up. I bought the Stooges Jukebox along with four others from the same seller:

The Who Covered (Mojo Magazine - February 2006)

Music Guide Vol. 1: Instant Garage (Mojo Magazine - June 2003)

Hail To The King! (Mojo Magazine - May 2006)

The Quiet Revolution (Mojo Magazine - October 2006)
It's a pleasure. :)

I've picked up a number of others on a couple of occasions and have The Who one... I'm a fan of the band, so I'll be interested to hear it when I get round to doing so.

A few more Mojo discs that I particularly like -

Rock! Rock! Rock!: December 2004 (Another with an Elvis connection - lots of 40s & 50s blues and r'n'b.)

Chess Classics: August 2005 (I thought it was all going to be similar to the disc above, but there's some nice funk and soul added in as well.)

Psych Out: April 2006 (I don't need to describe the style/genre here... Outstanding trippy tracks by The Troggs, The Smoke and more familiar - to me - sounds by The Move and The Small Faces, which are two of my very favourite sixties bands.)

I am quite certain more of these will be finding their way into my collection pretty soon!

A package from Tony arrived today, so far it's been

The The - Soul Mining
The Sundays - Reading, Writing, And Arithmetic

now onto

Philip Glass - Einstein On The Beach

I'd only intended to play one of the discs, but was enjoying it so much I'm coming up to the end of the third and final disc now.

Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy

One of Mrs F's favourites and one that reminds me if all the amazing times we've enjoyed together over the years. And my 4yo daughter is still awake and dancing round the sitting room with us.

Cool? Not very. Am I smiling outside and inside? Sure am.

Quite a lot, currently Pat Metheney Group The Road To You on Tidal (annoyingly gapped, Qobuz which does gapless tells me it is not licensed to play in my region). Comparing with my FLAC stored on the server. Identical.

Van der Graaf Generator - Merlin Atmos

Pretty impressive live set from 2013 dates. "Flight" and "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" are epic and not bad for a trio.

albumcoverLonnieJohnson-SteppinOnTheBlues.jpg

Picked it up a couple of days ago - late Sunday night felt like the proper time to listen and I think I was right! :D From now on, whenever somebody says Robert Johnson to me, I'll direct them to this guy (I have and love RJ's compositions and recordings but why is LJ overlooked in comparison... no 'legend' behind him and his music, I suppose.) Recordings on here predates RJ by roughly a decade.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting this - apparently, he was a pioneer of what we now know as lead guitar... I was sitting here a bit ago, slack-jawed at some of his licks and embellishments and I'm talking about tunes made in the late 1920s!! The sound quality is better by some way, than other recordings I've heard from this era (not just down to what the source of the transfers were, methinks.) And to cap it all, I'm reading that this guy influenced among others - Django Rheinhardt..! The music on here is usually very unlike Robert Johnson's so I shouldn't compare and it's a bit lazy of me to do so - back to this though, oh... there's some nice jazzy stuff going on, on some of the instrumentals as well - 12-sting soloing to boot.

You like blues? You like music of a certain vintage? I could come up wuth a load more reasons why this is essential to what I believe would b a large body of muisc fans. But all I can end on is to say that you NEED this - and I wonder why I'd never heard a note Lonnie played before, being someone who's been into blues for many years. This was one heck of a find.

How did I miss this?

A bit of Soft machine/Caravan, a bit of Mike Westbrook circa 'Love songs' a bit of psychedelia. It's blues and jazz too - but more in the Colosseum mould.

Some great covers of songs by Annette Peacock, Alan Hull, Laura Nyro, Carol King, Dylan - and a nice bit of Hammond playing.

Stephen

affinity5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back