advertisement

What amplifier do I want?

From his postings over the past 12 months the op appears to be going around in circles with his hifi.
I think a demo is the order of the day:)

Looking for an amplifier that gives me the best qualities of valves but also the best of solid state bass grip/ tightness and ultimate headroom....

Nothing I know of approaches the accurate sound speed & transparency of the Goldmund JOB 225 125 wpc especially for the price, it is sold direct from Switzerland so no distributor or retailer markups. It has excellent protection that does not interfere with the sound, can be switched on/off directly from switched wall sockets without thumps or noises through speakers most importantly has three pin mains input and small size , it made my speakers sound better than the Devialet---D premier.

I would wait. If you have LS50's nothing will get remotely close to what a certain French all in one product will do with them.

And that comes from someone who has owned a lot of very good valve and SS amplifiers over the years.

If you simply must have something now to satisfy your urge then I would look for a SH Sim Moon i5 to tide you over.

£2k should get you a Krell KSA 50 or 100 in decent nick...

Drive anything AND heat your living room...

+1 for the KSA50 but the 100 isn't anything like the same amp. There's something important lacking IMHO. The KSA80 didn't float my boat either.

OP, I would contest the recommendation for an Orton. It's a wonderful amp that is sublime with Harbeths and Proacs, but I don't think it has the wake-up power the LS50s need, in contrast to the amps I've recommended on your wanted thread. I am going to be selling an Orton in the new year but I still don't think it's ideal for you.

"It does 20 Watts worth of Class A" does it really, presumably it runs crazy hot then?

I have to say that every transistor amplifier I've heard that claims to have a 'valve like quality' or combine 'the best of valve and transistor' has actually sounded like the worst of both technologies to me. The amp that GT links to looks very interesting (but he also happens to be the importer and sole retailer in the UK).

======

I see that Arcam do indeed claim that the A39 runs the first 20 watts in class A - however, looking at it this seems highly unlikely unless Arcam are using some 'modern' interpretation of class A operation....

Yeeeeaaaaah.

Can't beat a nice valve pre with a beefy power amp.

Totally agree;). I am listening a Quad 707 with a Croft Basic valve pre, simply magic!

Oh, bad news, my toddler is coming back home tomorrow, I will have to pack the hi fi back to their boxes before he destroys them!:mad:

S/H Butler TDB2250. Nice Hybrid power amp. Rather a refined brute, not a beauty, however.
Peter

Because of the class G operation it is possible that it could produce 20W in class A but it would have to run bloody hot and would really need fans for long term reliability.
It's quite a good idea really and although I've heard of it being done by diyers and mentioned in text books this is the first time I can recall this being done in practise.... I may do this myself for a future power amp!
Class G is usually used for PA amps and such like as a way of reducing heat, size and weight and is usually regarded as a bad thing from a SQ POV... BUT by making the first 20W Class A you kind of get the best of both worlds... At low and normal levels the 20WPC should be adequate for most speakers but if the wick is really turned up it can abruptly switch on another amp (I'm glossing over the technicalities....) of 100WPC to fill in the demand for major dynamic swings etc. Unless you are a total headbanger or using 82dB/W speakers it should remain in class A nearly all the time other than brief peaks.

Nothing I know of approaches the accurate sound speed & transparency of the Goldmund JOB 225 125 wpc especially for the price, it is sold direct from Switzerland so no distributor or retailer markups. It has excellent protection that does not interfere with the sound, can be switched on/off directly from switched wall sockets without thumps or noises through speakers most importantly has three pin mains input and small size , it made my speakers sound better than the Devialet---D premier.

Hi
I bought The Job 225 advertised on here recently by Bodymusic and can confirm it truly is a great amplifier. Started off with my brothers Audio Research Ref5se so can confirm it sounds great with a tube pre but have just bought a Tisbury passive pre and this works very well also. You are more than welcome to listen if you live in the Watford area. I know its been mentioned before but Sugden could also be ideal for you.

There is a picture on the net of colin wonfor with a 100+ watt pure class a amp , it is nearly 6 foot tall to cope with the heat sinking .

advertisement

Back