advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John
My own work is often cerebral in nature and I know how rewarding it can be I when you have a new insight or original idea, so I can well imagine your excitement with coming up with something new.
Ian

And the worry :D - but I am indeed pretty excited :)

No gain without pain they say!

If we go for a full size case (430mm) then we can include a proper internal PSU.

It depends if the vote is for a MDAC sized case or full size, I'd prefer the full size as I can use the same chassis (with different Front and rear panel) for the TDAC and also include an internal HQ PSU.

For TDAC, it has to be full size imo. Gives you room to breath, allowing you more choices for it to be what you want it to be without being constrained by size.
I do like the small size of the MDac, sits nicely next to my mini pc.. But TDac is your statement design, a no compromise design to show just what is possible. Half width would give you a constraint that isnt needed (as most/all of us can certainly fit a 'normal' width unit)..

At the end of the day its your statement design, so the choice has to be yours!

Yes, TDAC has to be full size and that's why I'd like to use the same chassis for the MDAC2 slaves...

Hi John,

As an MDAC owner I am starting to get very excited about the prospect of the MDAC2. A few points:

1) At least one person has asked for more output, which you found surprising. Well I have low sensitivity speakers, a low gain, low power amp and no preamp, so the MDAC's current gain is only just barely enough for me. Would it be possible for it to have higher gain without compromising anything, at least as an option?

2) On a related note, will it be possible to order it without the analogue gain reduction switch? I can only assume this will add extra unnecessary circuitry when not needed.

3) Would an i2s input be possible, at least as an option replacing an existing input?

4) I hope the SABRE's built-in filters will still be selectable - the slow roll-off filter is definitely my favourite in my system.

5) If you're struggling to fit everything into the current chasis, maybe you can withhold the ADC until the TDAC?

Hi John,

As an MDAC owner I am starting to get very excited about the prospect of the MDAC2. A few points:

1) At least one person has asked for more output, which you found surprising. Well I have low sensitivity speakers, a low gain, low power amp and no preamp, so the MDAC's current gain is only just barely enough for me. Would it be possible for it to have higher gain without compromising anything, at least as an option?

The output level is limited by internal PSU supply voltages, with the +3dB over range then there's over 8V Pk-Pk voltage swing, this is already pretty excessive for a line level source - via the balanced output that's 16V pk-pk. Its not the DAC's duty to function as a power amp :)

2) On a related note, will it be possible to order it without the analogue gain reduction switch? I can only assume this will add extra unnecessary circuitry when not needed.

The MDAC2 L1 comes without Analogue domain attenuation - but it also lacks the DSP, Advanced Clock & Digital expansion port (amongst other additional features).

Depending how many owners decide to go for the L2 / L3 level I'd like to discontinue the L1 option. The L2/L3 offer the highest SQ.

The Analogue domain attenuation is selected by high quality reed relays and when not enabled there are no extra components in the analogue signal path.

3) Would an i2s input be possible, at least as an option replacing an existing input?

The MDAC2 L2/L3 will feature a Digital expansion connector which could be used at a later date add an I2S interface pod - but I2S offers no performance advantage, its only being promoted by those who fail to understand the fundamentals of Digital audio design.

4) I hope the SABRE's built-in filters will still be selectable - the slow roll-off filter is definitely my favourite in my system.

In the native ESS mode all the existing filters will be supported.

5) If you're struggling to fit everything into the current chassis, maybe you can withhold the ADC until the TDAC?

The ADC sections are located in a different area of the PCB - I'm short of space in both lower corners of the PCB where the ESS DAC's are located.

Thanks for the quick response John. For the record, I'll definitely be going with the level 2 - given the nature of this type of project, it doesn't seem to make much sense to opt for level 1.

Depending how many owners decide to go for the L2 / L3 level I'd like to discontinue the L1 option. The L2/L3 offer the highest SQ.

I'm leaning towards L2.

Cheers and keep up the good work (without losing yourself too much in it...)

Johan

I'm also leaning towards the level 2 - at the moment I don't have any use for the ADC option so not seriously considering L3.

L2 or L3 for me. Probably L2, as though I'd love ADC capabilities, I have a stand-alone ADC and it's good enough for the level that my TT is at.... might as well spend the remainder on something else, like wine....

The output level is limited by internal PSU supply voltages, with the +3dB over range then there's over 8V Pk-Pk voltage swing, this is already pretty excessive for a line level source - via the balanced output that's 16V pk-pk. Its not the DAC's duty to function as a power amp :)

I never understood why so many dac's insist on spitting out such high levels. Most power amps are clipping in the areas of 1 - 1.2 volts anyway, so what's the point?

I never understood why so many dac's insist on spitting out such high levels. Most power amps are clipping in the areas of 1 - 1.2 volts anyway, so what's the point?

Lowering power amp final gain and using a digital source closer to its max volume control lowers digital attenuation (for digital based volume controls) as well as increases dynamic range. Works for me anyhow.

I would prefer to have the HQ PSU integrated. So I rather have a fill size chassis than two boxes.
I will be going for a TDAC anyway because it will be the perfect match for the VFET amps.

Am I right thinking that the Mdac2 will be upgradable to the TDac? Or was it that some of the boards will be re-used?

Is the TDac list closed ?
And finally was there an estimate for the cost ?
Circa 2k seems a figure I remember.

Thanks.

Phil,

Basically, VFET amp owners will get the option to purchase a TDAC "At Cost" to compensate for the project delay, I'm not sure how much can be salvaged from the MDAC2 - but TDAC "build costs" will be affordable, maybe around GBP500 - GBP600, the "Solid aluminium chassis" will eat at a significant chunk.

I've got 600 tubes now in stock, after the VFET amps that will leave about 500pcs... TDAC will require 4 tubes per unit - so I can build about 100 TDAC's factoring in spare tubes.

Ok thanks John.

Just curious how many Mdac2 owners are also on the TDAC list?

Is the TDAC (sorry not this year ) 2015 or next ? ( thought I'd be broad in my timescale query ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back