advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to work out if the comparison really lets us compare DSD and PCM as the replay process is PCM. Ultimately, somewhere in the chain is a DSD -> PCM conversion

Before we can even discuss the DAC - the ADC itself is not a 1 Bit modulator - rather 6bits so it does not output a pure unfiltered DSD stream, the "DSD" output is generated after conversion by a 1Bit "Re"modulator...

Julf
The advocates of vinyl often say it sounds more "musical" than CD. If that is due to distortion then fine. I listen to music for pleasure and if the alleged distortion increases my pleasure then gimme that distortion. This is rather like what some people say about valve amplifiers; they sound good because they are introducing some sonic artefacts that actually make the music sound better. I personally think there is something unique and special about the way a well implemented SET amp sounds. The reason I'm on the list for the VFET amp is that VFETS behave like triodes, but you don't have to use a pesky output transformer AND with John's design you get a shed load of watts.

I'm so looking forward to designing the VFET amps - it will seem like a walk in the park after working on the MDAC2 design these past 3 years...

BTW, the VFET amps despite using Tube front end will be ultra linear :)

I was under the impression that most (all?) of them are sigma delta nowadays so I'm not sure the analog Anti Aliasing filter is much of an issue-most of the heavy lifting is done by a digital filter when the A/D output is decimated to PCM.

Does anyone know whether they have an analog AA filter at all, or do they relay on the mic's natural roll off? For the m-dac 2 operating at 14Mhz you would only need to cut out signals over 7MHz.

Are there any multibit A/Ds these days?

Well the Arda is 6Bits but I guess your asking about "Full" data widths...

Well the Arda is 6Bits but I guess your asking about "Full" data widths...
I meant non-delta-sigma dacs operating at 44-200khz sampling rate. I thought from ChrisPa's post that he was talking about the sort of Anti alias filter that that sort of ADC would require.

Anyway can you help with this bit John- will the M-dac2 have any analog filter before the ADC?

I was under the impression that most (all?) of them are sigma delta nowadays so I'm not sure the analog Anti Aliasing filter is much of an issue-most of the heavy lifting is done by a digital filter when the A/D output is decimated to PCM.

Does anyone know whether they have an analog AA filter at all, or do they relay on the mic's natural roll off? For the m-dac 2 operating at 14Mhz you would only need to cut out signals over 7MHz.

The MDAC2 L3 ADC have a max sampling rate of 7MHz per modulator with 2 modulators per channel combined resulting in 14MHz as the highest sample rate mode.

As the ADC also has to support lower sampling rate of 64Fs for DSD64 the analogue filter should filter "everything" above 1.411MHz - although I'll design a much softer low order analogue filter - Ill target a -3dB point at around 100KHz.

I'm so looking forward to designing the VFET amps - it will seem like a walk in the park after working on the MDAC2 design these past 3 years...

BTW, the VFET amps despite using Tube front end will be ultra linear :)

I'd expect nothing less from you John :)

Julf
The advocates of vinyl often say it sounds more "musical" than CD. If that is due to distortion then fine. I listen to music for pleasure and if the alleged distortion increases my pleasure then gimme that distortion. This is rather like what some people say about valve amplifiers; they sound good because they are introducing some sonic artefacts that actually make the music sound better. I personally think there is something unique and special about the way a well implemented SET amp sounds. The reason I'm on the list for the VFET amp is that VFETS behave like triodes, but you don't have to use a pesky output transformer AND with John's design you get a shed load of watts.

I actually want the reproduction device to be as neutral as possible.
Then give me EQ controls for adding DSP based distortion, so I can decide what I like, even when not truthful.
But, that's just me :)

When does anyone get to a second listen of the MDAC? Apologies if any other bored twat like me has posted the same sentiment before.

When does anyone get to a second listen of the MDAC? Apologies if any other bored twat like me has posted the same sentiment before.

It's binary
There are only two states of mdac listen

Not heard it = 0
Heard it = 1

"First" is the state with the value one
Obvious!

I am not interested in DSD but more interested what can be done with the FPGA with custom noise shapers.

Mike - indeed :) obviously you have some knowledge in this area :)

Back in early late nighties when I worked on early FPGA based modulator designs I still recall how when we changed from a second order to third order modulator the third order sounded worst then the 2nd order despite its better simulated results. The 3rd order lost the "Dynamic" realism of the simpler 2nd order Mod. much in the same way I have a problem with PCM verses DSD.

ESS has a decent video lecture on the net where they discuss the care they have taken with there modulator design to "Constrain" the State variables during transient changes - very interesting as this closely follows what we discovered.

One of our solution is to use cascaded 1st order modulators (AKA a MASH type structure) where each modulator loop is therefore inherently "Bounded" between changes of state....

Also we would like to try "predictive" modulators...

Got the Auralic Aries up and running with my MDAC and very sweet it is ....

Coax/Optical/USB dig outputs. Still very early days only a few nights listening.

Will try and do an A/B of interfaces and source (NetBook) and give some feedback soon.

The lightning ds control app is nice. Simple to use which is key.

Running a minim server on my Qnap nas. Only problem I have at this stage is I havent been able to re-build the database index of new cd's I've added. Will spend an evening to sort this hopefully.

Its much more of a hifi component than a computer which is what I was after.
I,ve removed the usb isolator and so far not a hiccup in any playback.

Got the Auralic Aries up and running with my MDAC and very sweet it is ....

Nice, keep us posted.
As an interim solution I've bought a Squeezebox Classic (never used) to be used with ickStream API and stream Wimp/Tidal HiFi through the MDAC.

Mike - indeed :) obviously you have some knowledge in this area :)

Back in early late nighties when I worked on early FPGA based modulator designs I still recall how when we changed from a second order to third order modulator the third order sounded worst then the 2nd order despite its better simulated results. The 3rd order lost the "Dynamic" realism of the simpler 2nd order Mod. much in the same way I have a problem with PCM verses DSD.

ESS has a decent video lecture on the net where they discuss the care they have taken with there modulator design to "Constrain" the State variables during transient changes - very interesting as this closely follows what we discovered.

One of our solution is to use cascaded 1st order modulators (AKA a MASH type structure) where each modulator loop is therefore inherently "Bounded" between changes of state....

Also we would like to try "predictive" modulators...
If we are running the M-dac 2 at 9 bits and 14Mhz, do we need any more than a second order modulator. I'm too knackered to work this out but surely with even a first order modulator, the noise level in the audible range must be pretty low.

If we are running the M-dac 2 at 9 bits and 14Mhz, do we need any more than a second order modulator. I'm too knackered to work this out but surely with even a first order modulator, the noise level in the audible range must be pretty low.

Well that's what we will play with - certainly I can see a version of firmware with selectable Noise shaper order - maybe we will release the initial Beta version labelled A,B,C,D etc. for Blind listening...

Well that's what we will play with - certainly I can see a version of firmware with selectable Noise shaper order - maybe we will release the initial Beta version labelled A,B,C,D etc. for Blind listening...
It's an interesting question as to whether given the increase in resolution available from using 2 DAC chips, and from running them in your special mode (IIRC), you might want to trade a little bit of snr against some other benefit from less aggressive noise shaping.

Apart from that, can you confirm whether the initial release M-dac 2 will be using the native ESS noise shaping (with all of bespoke fun and games to come) or whether the inital release (maybe the l2) will be starting off with some sort of custom noise shaping to be refined later on?

Apart from that, can you confirm whether the initial release M-dac 2 will be using the native ESS noise shaping (with all of bespoke fun and games to come) or whether the inital release (maybe the l2) will be starting off with some sort of custom noise shaping to be refined later on?

I thought that was answered by John's comment that, when first released the fpga won't do anything.

So I've understood that stuff like noise shaping will come later

Adam,

I'll be happy when the MDAC2's up and running with the ESS in "Native Mode" - the FPGA based noise shaping will be released much later - for such major advance "Pay For" functional upgrade there will be a small fee to help cover the development costs - there might be 6 months to a year development involved.

I has been suggested by other's in earlier posts that any "Pay for" Firmware upgrades can be downloaded for free with say a "spoiler tone" or some such every 5 to 10 minutes, this will allow owners to listen and decide if they wish to purchase the "Unrestricted" option.

The "Pay for options" are for those options that take a significant amount of development resources - not for simple features such as EQ etc.

The aim is not to make money from the "Advanced" upgrades, but just to help cover development costs - if it takes Dominik 6 months to a year to develop a feature - then I need to cover these costs somehow, we might just add a simple "Donate" button to remove the "Spoiler" - then the owner can pay what they feel is far.

It just depends where we will be financially one year down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back