advertisement

Naim Lavender IC

Naim2

pfm Member
Hi,

I am looking for interconnect that is an improvement over the Naim Lavender IC.
Naim Hi Line is just way over budget for me.
Please let me know your opinions.

Many thanks,

David

I, and I think quite a few on here, use AR Sound interconnects as Naim replacements.
There are a few different grades, the top being the Lunar.

Somewhat risk free as there is a 30 day trial period with full refund (baring postage)
assuming you return the cable in 'as new' condition.

http://www.ar-sound.com/

I have Lunar RCA to DIN going from DAC to Naim pre and it is certainly less fiddly and less expensive than the Hi-Line, and to my ears gave up nothing in SQ when I tried it against the Hi-Line.

I haven't used a Naim Lavender in a very long time, so can't really comment. But if you felt the Hi-Line was an improvement over the Lavender then it would stand to reason that the AR Sound Lunar would be also.

Easy enough to try, and make up your own mind. Enjoy.

I had a sarum tuned aray in my system and it was very very good , but at £1600 , not worth the money IMHO
Ar Lunar Pound 4 pound is the Best Cable i have tried in my system(Cds3/52,SC/DV) , So good i have purchased 4 Lunars in Total
Honestly give it a Try , if your Not Happy Avi will give U your Money back - No Brainer:)

Ps - its as big an upgrade as adding an XPS power supply

I have various (Chord Cadenza and Cobra 3) but the lavender I still have on the NAT05 sounds superb to me.

Gave up on the Hiline as it kept going 'off' - and is too fiddly.

The Naim Lavender interconnect is actually very good. Yes the HiLine is better, i have both, but the Lavender is not easily beaten at sensible money. You may spend a couple of hundred quid on something that sounds worse.

I agree with that. When my newly acquired HiLine went back to Naim for repair, I substituted the old Lavender, and was rather pleasantly surprised.

The HiLine may have been innovative, but unfortunately is very susceptible to less than careful handling !

As with most interconnect upgrades, you can either buy new on appro. (and you need a month if it's new) or take an informed punt on used.

You have the return postage on the one hand or the small loss and hassle on resale if unsuitable within your system.

I can only add to what has been said about the Lunar above. I have used a lavender but was not happy. I have a Hi-Line in my system which is slightly better than the Lunar but more expensive. I also had a Chord Signature Tuned Aray - that one is on eBay now, not because I did not like it but because I need some cash. I think with a Lunar you can't go wrong though.

Hi all,

Many thanks for sharing the experiences.

Anyone tried cardas/kimber/nordost/audioquest cables?

Looking at the AR site, the price of lunar is in the same price range as the hiline.

Anyone tried the yellow or skylink din cables?

Regards,

David

Hi all,

Looking at the AR site, the price of lunar is in the same price range as the hiline.

Regards,

David

I think the Lunar is about 50% of the price of a Hi-Line? Or are you looking at used?

I've tried the AR Greenlink and it was OK but nothing special; I didn't feel tempted to replace my usual IC which cost less.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Many thanks for sharing the experiences.

Anyone tried cardas/kimber/nordost/audioquest cables?

Regards,

David

David

I have tried the Green and Skylink din cables.

I found the Green quite a bit better than the Naim lavender and the Skylink a lot better. From what I have heard others say the Yellow sits about evenly between these two cables in terms of sound quality.

I can only add to what has been said about the Lunar above. I have used a lavender but was not happy. I have a Hi-Line in my system which is slightly better than the Lunar but more expensive. I also had a Chord Signature Tuned Aray - that one is on eBay now, not because I did not like it but because I need some cash. I think with a Lunar you can't go wrong though.
When you buy a Hi-Line new from a dealer, does it come in a sealed pack?
If not sealed, how do you know that this delicate cable hasn't been damaged since it left the factory?
How would a dealer pack it for transit?

When you buy a Hi-Line new from a dealer, does it come in a sealed pack?
If not sealed, how do you know that this delicate cable hasn't been damaged since it left the factory?
How would a dealer pack it for transit?

Guess its sealed but Naim did previously free repair of this far too delicate thing, no matter of age.

The, so called, lavender is OK but really nothing special and there are loads of reasonably priced (in hi-fi terms I mean) cables that will beat it (the Flashback Premiere for example and that’s not expensive at all). I’ve also tried the Chord Signature Tuned Aray and its not bad - I wouldn’t dream of spending 2K on it though and better can be had for a lot less.

advertisement

Back