advertisement

2014 Formula 1 Season Thread (part II)

The Merc title celebrations must have included a spliff as well.

Non-executive or not, how can a Merc director talk about "guaranteeing" Hamilton a WDC after a race in which Hamilton's teammate, the only other guy with a chance at the title, had a bad car?

I don't for one moment believe that Merc deliberately sabotaged Rosberg's car, it just strikes me as a very stupid comment from Lauda.

Lauda probably mean't a competitive car with a chance to win the 2014 WDC. There are no guarantees in this sport.

Well let me see, trying to lure top driver from major competitor.

Lewis - "Well Mr Lauda, if I come over to you, when will I get a WDC competitive car?"
Lauda - "I thought you might ask that. Thing is, it's a bit of a shed right now but with a bit of luck it might be better and you driving will help".
Lewis - "Where do I sign?"

Or maybe it didn't happen quite like that. :)

I used to hate Niki Lauda, but now I get it. Steely determination with a bit of humour. Toto Wolf seems to be the same. I find Ron a bit intense....

The whole sport is corrupt nonesense . I look forward to the days when it is confined to countries with no democracy and suspect human rights records , so it can be banished to pay per view TV .

My hope for it is it becomes just like WWF .

Or better still just like Rollerball . Which incidentally was set in 2018 .

I like Lauda. Always speaks his mind. Somewhere I have a signed copy of his autobiography from when he was at Brabham. Rosberg never really had a chance of the WDC - I think the guarantee for Hamilton was pairing him with the German given their history ;)

Joking apart Markus, Hamilton has always had a slight edge over Rosberg, even when the latter's Dad owned and ran the team. As Hamilton himself explained, it's become more difficult to maintain the advantage now that there is so much telemetry and information available. I do feel however that Hamilton is the more naturally gifted racer and this seemingly allows him to adapt more quickly to changes in circumstances. Rosberg seemed to benefit a lot from the driver coaching that told him what to do in real time to match his team mate. With that becoming outlawed, Hamilton has apparently been able to maintain an advantage on long runs on Sundays.

The really interesting thing now is where Bob Bell is going and how long will it take for him to have a major impact. I'd love to see Bell at Ferrari with a non Italian at the helm and a Vettel/Hamilton line up for 2016.

I always liked Niki and I thought he was robbed in 1976 - although I came to appreciate James Hunt more later on. In the old days Niki said 'shit' a lot, which somehow seemed to emphasis his no-bull approach. I think he's great for MBGP, giving them credibility and putting a human face on what would otherwise come across as the Teutonic corporation it really is.

I was at Brands in 1984 when Prost retired from the lead to great cheers all round when Niki inherited the lead and won, so I think he's always been popular with the fans.

Never much liked Jackie Stewart (although I admire his achievements both in and out of the car), and never liked Ron Dennis at all. I think Ron must be busy now processing all the data through his Atari 64-bit to work out if Button or Magnesson is the better driver. That extra race must have made all the difference.

The whole sport is corrupt nonesense.

gerld.

it's not actually a sport. some examples of correct categorization:

SPORTS: football, basketball, handball

GAMES: golf, tennis, baseball, curling, darts

ACTIVITIES: motor racing, bike racing (tour de france)

vuk.

Away from spliffs for a minute, may I extend my sympathies to Markus and indeed the entire German nation on not winning one of world sport's most recognizable trophies this year.

I'm sure in time the nation will come to terms with it's loss and indeed it can take some comfort from the fact that it was indeed German money that helped restore Britain to it's rightful place.

Germans may never get used to the role of plucky losers and the celebration of glorious failure. It's second nature to Brits.

Utter rubbish.

Sport is a direct personal challenge where only a single athlete can win, e.g. racing (running, swimming, hurdling, F1, skiing etc), gymnastics, boxing, javelin, skeleton bob etc.

Football, Rugby, hockey etc are just children's pastimes / school physical education played with a toy balls or whatever and primarily serve to encourage social bonding and help develop future corporate team skills in the pre-teen age range. They are of no interest or use beyond that.

tony.

the important thing here is not the labels we apply to the categories, but the categories themselves. what i call sport can be called fubar, if you like, but the members of the grouping all involve a projectile, active (in your face) defending and can not be performed at a high level by people who are not athletic and physically fit.

i know that patrick (if i recall correctly) has argued that the car is a projectile, but that's quite a stretch.

whatever your experiences were with team sport, they do not mirror mine. there is quite a feeling when coordinating a complicated move with a team-make, unlike anything in "solo" spots/games/activities. as you know, i am about as far away from being a corporate team player as one can get, so your theory is hardly intuitive.

vuk.

Away from spliffs for a minute, may I extend my sympathies to Markus and indeed the entire German nation on not winning one of world sport's most recognizable trophies this year.

I'm sure in time the nation will come to terms with it's loss and indeed it can take some comfort from the fact that it was indeed German money that helped restore Britain to it's rightful place.

Germans may never get used to the role of plucky losers and the celebration of glorious failure. It's second nature to Brits.

Actually, us Germans are quite happy that a German brand won the WCC. Hamilton is quite popular over here, so the amount of mourning going on is limited.

the important thing here is not the labels we apply to the categories, but the categories themselves. what i call sport can be called fubar, if you like, but the members of the grouping all involve a projectile, active (in your face) defending and can not be performed at a high level by people who are not athletic and physically fit.

To my mind a projectile is optional, but I'm taking my definition more from the Olympics in ancient Greece: the decathlon, running, jumping etc is 'sport' to my mind. All the modern team stuff are just 'games'. I do obviously realise that F1 relies very heavily on a team despite having a lone athlete in the car, so under my definition it's position is somewhat tenuous, but still far more assured than say football, hockey, netball etc which are really just a method for splitting school children of multiple abilities into a single physical education activity.

Utter rubbish.

Sport is a direct personal challenge where only a single athlete can win, e.g. racing (running, swimming, hurdling, F1, skiing etc), gymnastics, boxing, javelin, skeleton bob etc.

Football, Rugby, hockey etc are just children's pastimes / school physical education played with a toy balls or whatever and primarily serve to encourage social bonding and help develop future corporate team skills in the pre-teen age range. They are of no interest or use beyond that.

So golf is a sport and rugby is a child's pastime ? :D

gerld.

vuk.
I think that's a rather personal categorisation.

I imagine where was a time when football (not that sort) was a game and chasing a fox with hounds was sport.

Paul

So golf is a sport and rugby is a child's pastime ? :D

Rugby appears to be some kind of tribal war / regional dispute that sometimes involves an oddly shaped ball for no reason I've yet been able to decipher. Anyway, it's far too too touchy-feely / male-bonding for me. I'm no fan of golf either, but I can at least see the point as beneath the ridiculous dress code (which in fairness is no worse than Rugby or football's matching shirts and short trousers uniform) is a sport of precision with a winner and many losers. I'd actually go as far as saying the competitive eating of hamburgers or donuts was more of a sport than rugby or football.

advertisement

Back