advertisement

What Stylus Force Gauge To Buy?

Minstrel SE

These go to eleven
They say you need a proper stylus force gauge to give a truly accurate reading.

Are the mini digital stylus scales £15 on ebay worth buying please? Is that a job done? Cheers.

I'd make sure it had a slim weighing platform, the thickness of a record. That way you are taking the reading when the stylus is in the record playing position. Just my thoughts, not based on any scientific principle, seems sensible to me, that's all !

most of the small digital scales on eBay are accurate enough but a magnet is attracted to the the platform (the actual platform is non-magnetic but the mechanism by which they work is not). If you use them as standard you will get a very inaccurate reading and so you need to make a little platform to move the weighing position to the side a bit. There are some designs where this is done for you -I'll have a look for one if someone doesn't post first.

Oh, here you go - £6.49!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=261480957671

$_35.JPG

nothing to do with me but I have used one exactly like this before and they work fine.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
most of the small digital scales on eBay are accurate enough but a magnet is attracted to the the platform (the actual platform is non-magnetic but the mechanism by which they work is not). If you use them as standard you will get a very inaccurate reading and so you need to make a little platform to move the weighing position to the side a bit. There are some designs where this is done for you -I'll have a look for one if someone doesn't post first.

That would be helpful. Especialy the first part, how to modify it.

But they give accurate reading with MM carts?

Oh, here you go - £6.49!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=261480957671

$_35.JPG

nothing to do with me but I have used one exactly like this before and they work fine.

This one is affected by magnets an also by DV10X5. (Although the platform itself is non-magnetic.)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That would be helpful. Especialy the first part, how to modify it.

But they give accurate reading with MM carts?

Probably not MM either but MC carts have stronger magnets in them and so are more of an issue (just for that reason). I've just updated my earlier post with a link. I used to do a modified scale myself and made platforms but I can't sell them for under £7.00 and there isn't anything wrong with the one above.

This one is affected by magnets an also by DV10X5. (Although the platform itself is non-magnetic.)

Oh, sorry - are you saying you have tried it and it is no good? I have used this type (I've got one somewhere) and will compare it to my own modified scales if you like? It should be OK though as the bit you place the stylus on is really an extended balance platform meaning the actual measurement is taken off to one side.

Yes some excellent points. Im in budget land so they would probably do for now. I certainly dont want to spend more than £15 until I buy a better deck.

I will have to take the mat off as the weighing platform doesnt look that slim. Ive looked at the gauges from ortofon and shure which seem to work on a seesaw principle.

I thought it would be a lot easier on a scale with digital readout. Maybe accurate enough on a budget is the key here.

I usually buy from a UK supplier but have ordered one item from Hong Kong before with no problem

I've just tried these two on my deck - the photo is of both on my platter. One is the same as the eBay link and the other is one I have modified to have a side platform. They both weigh the calibration weight exactly the same. With my modified Troika (MC) cart there is 0.02g difference between them which I would say is fine - you need to adjust by ear after that.
----
Oh. I've just been told it's possible that both scales are equally wrong (which I guess they could be)- I'll do a bit more checking tomorrow.

Thats great. Very helpful and you certainly know your stuff. I will order that scale from Hong Kong and probably the Ortofon plastic protractor.

Err... well, hang on until I've had a chance to double check my facts if that's OK; if I'm wrong I wouldn't want to misinform you. I've got some small neodymium magnets and also a couple of other MC cartridges, I'll do some more checking of the two scales tomorrow evening (after work) and let you know.

If ordering the Ortofon protractor, why not simplify matters by buying the Ortofon mechanical scales at the same time? Cheap, entirely accurate enough, no issues with batteries, magnetism and all round unreliability.
Sometimes the old fashioned way has virtues. I have a decent digital scale but still trust my mechanical scale more.
nb: I am puzzled by the need for extreme accuracy when the final tuning of the cartridge surely needs to be done by ear..the scale is to get you into the 'zone' isn't it ?

I have this one from dx.com, checked it with a magnet and it works fine with my MC Benz and Denon.
Best to check each scales with a magnet rather than ruining a cart. I have a Shure analogue scales which turned out to contain iron and gave inaccurate readings on MCs.

As Paskinn says I'd be getting the thing about right with a mechanical see-saw gauge and then making minor tweaks and listening if I saw fit. The scales are only really to get you close and avoid damage.

If ordering the Ortofon protractor, why not simplify matters by buying the Ortofon mechanical scales at the same time? Cheap, entirely accurate enough, no issues with batteries, magnetism and all round unreliability.
Sometimes the old fashioned way has virtues. I have a decent digital scale but still trust my mechanical scale more.
nb: I am puzzled by the need for extreme accuracy when the final tuning of the cartridge surely needs to be done by ear..the scale is to get you into the 'zone' isn't it ?

I have sympathy with this view. I used the simple plastic Ortofon balance scales for years and they work fine - final fine tune by ear (which I would do and recommend anyway).

This is why I was pondering the subject. I could do as you have suggested

However Ive done the balancing and dial setting on the arm so I just wanted to put the thing on a digital scale to see if Im in the ballpark area. Its doesnt have to be super accurate. I didnt really want a slide see-saw scale but I havent ruled them out.

To give you an idea I have an ADC XLM III with a brand new original XLM II improved stylus. Thats my favourite at the moment

I also have an Audio Technica 95e and an Dual Ortofon with a basic spherical. Yes very early days but I just wanted helpful gadgets that I could bring with me on a vinyl journey. At 6 or 7 quid I could buy an example of each.

Apologies to anyone who has been waiting for the results of my experimentation - I got home late from work yesterday and so I didn't do any further investigation. I haven't forgotten though and will try to do it tonight and post the results.

They say you need a proper stylus force gauge to give a truly accurate reading.

Are the mini digital stylus scales £15 on ebay worth buying please? Is that a job done? Cheers.

Oldie has one that is stupidly accurate compared to my old-skool Shure mechanical balance. If you look at the cheap ones and the expensive branded ones, you'll see that they are probably all the same inside. The problem with my manual see-saw is that you have to work out what half of 1.85 grams is in your head (it's a x2 scale) whilst getting the thing under the stylus without the weight slipping. It's all a bit of a faff.
Just do it.

Always finish it by listening, although I like to know what the final setting is, and that's easier with digital.

advertisement

Back