advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my MDACs just died :(

All I'm getting is a "No Comms" error message after 40 seconds. My PC doesn't recognize the usb device so I can't reflash the firmware.

One of my MDACs just died :(

All I'm getting is a "No Comms" error message after 40 seconds. My PC doesn't recognize the usb device so I can't reflash the firmware.

Sounds like the clocks failed - hopefully not your Fusioned unit?

Easy fix, but would need to be shipped here...

Production Amps AFTER L4 (as L4 will be a quick project - there is still a chance that I can combine its development when I design the L1 / L3 Digital board).

However there will be prototype Amps floating about before L4.

I am not sure if this was asked before...

Did you have any thought about the price (range) of your amp?

Fred,

The standard non tube version sub 1K for a pair of mono blocks :)

Coo-er. But how might they compare to, say, my Quad Elite monos, for driving the ESL 2805?

My wife is convinced I'll always want to upgrade the hi-fi, so I may as well feed her expectations :D, if I'll get a significant improvement. I am starting to wonder whether some of my problems are due to the amps, the trouble is I'm not experienced enough to know what causes what problem.

- Richard.

Fred,

The standard non tube version sub 1K for a pair of mono blocks :)

What power are you planning to have them deliver?
:)

My old integrated Primare A30.1 is a 2x100W@8Ohm / 2x180W@4Ohm and is capable of peaks of +/-40A of current if needs be (so they say). Not bad for an integrated amp.
I don't use these figures everyday of course, but nevertheless, it's something that I like to have for the sake of dynamic and a good, precise, strong punch.

Being a bass sensitive kind of listener, occasionaly I need a lot of juice available for peaks, and I'm just afraid to spoil the low frequencies delivery by lack of power.

Michael

John
Thanks, I take it there is still a few spots left for entry into this special club. I would like to go for an L3, with a possible consideration for an L4 update. I already use a RPi with JiveLite on it for control and display purposes, works well with Flirc so my wife can control like the good old SB3 via Remote control (Harmony with RF so it is all neat and tidy behind cupboard doors). It works really well, not sure I have understood the benefits of the RPi integrated are? other than neatness? I also use Joggler o2, with Squeezeplay on, with Triodes plugin as the streamer, I get bit perfect 24/96. I don't see much benefit from moving away from this, unless you can point out the benefit of L4 to me?

Am I right I need to paypal £300 now? at http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

Thanks

David,

L1 3x GBP100 development installments + PCB "At Cost"

L2 4x GBP100 development installments + PCB "At Cost"

L3 5x GBP100 development installments + PCB "At Cost"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC2 Options.jpg

Once the L1-L3 units have been shipped, then I'll start work on an L4 upgrade to the digital PCB that includes a Linux based "computer" allowing Squeezebox touch support, Streaming, DLNA, and other software applications. The L4 upgrade can be retrofitted to L1 to L3 units.

Owners of the L1-L4 units qualify for the TDAC by paying the difference in development cost between there own MDAC2 and the TDAC + the unit "at Cost".

David,

As your already setup with the RPi then there's not such a priority to go for the L4.

While the main purpose for the L4 option would be to run SB3 or a streamer, I'm keen on the option to be able to run a totally integrated recorder / playback in a single box (also watch Youtube directly etc). The ability to connect a monitor and keyboard / mouse also allows us to operate the Room Correction graphical interface etc.

Yes, to join the MDAC2 project you just need to send £300 via Paypal to:-

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

We have the last handful of slots :)

Fred,

There has been some recent interest in "commissioning" me to build a custom designed pair of 200W+ Tube front end based Current Dumping amps - possibly based on 8200MB's chassis - as these are "one off custom designs" they are more expense, however if the project see the light of day, then they take second priority to the MDAC2 project.

I'm keen to flex my design skills on these amps as they will be a more "advanced" prototypes off the little LakeWest Mono blocks - its good to have a few units in the field early for longer term testing and evaluation.

No Switching PSU!

Fred,

There has been some recent interest in "commissioning" me to build a custom designed pair of 200W+ Tube front end based Current Dumping amps - possibly based on 8200MB's chassis - as these are "one off custom designs" they are more expense, however if the project see the light of day, then they take second priority to the MDAC2 project.

I'm keen to flex my design skills on these amps as they will be a more "advanced" prototypes off the little LakeWest Mono blocks - its good to have a few units in the field early for longer term testing and evaluation.

No Switching PSU!

Hallo John

So the "little LakeWest Mono blocks" are less than 1K (EUR or GBP?)?
no switching PSU: good news ;-)
The recent amps are a warm up for the "little LakeWest Mono blocks"?
and after these the advance mono blocks are on your workbench?

and anywhere in between the MTRN ;-) ?

1K GBP :)

Yes, the Custom Tube amps will be "prototypes" for the LakeWest units (confirming the new output stage designs etc).

Coo-er. But how might they compare to, say, my Quad Elite monos, for driving the ESL 2805?

My wife is convinced I'll always want to upgrade the hi-fi, so I may as well feed her expectations :D, if I'll get a significant improvement. I am starting to wonder whether some of my problems are due to the amps, the trouble is I'm not experienced enough to know what causes what problem.

- Richard.

Richard,

While the Quad Elite Mono's are "OK" your system deserves a lot better.

John, whats the ETA on listening to your new analoge stage? Its not that I want rush you or anything, its just that I'm dying of curiousity ;-)

Peter,

Me too :)

I've completed the modifications to the clock / PSU section over the weekend and will start putting the PCB together with the Analogue output stage, and continue the design of the analogue gain stage.

The next PCB design I'll issue will be basically the complete Analogue PCB asides from the DAC's themselves (there's nothing to the DAC section) - but this will allow me to test the "complete" Analogue stage (with Analogue sections, PSU, Clocks, ADC sections etc).

I'll also soon have the rear panel Analogue PCB connector positions defined etc. it will be nice to "see" the rear panel connector arrangement for the analogue board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back