advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
paid up :)
Now just need to think of it as a Christmas present to myself

Looking forward to it already

David

PS my experience of RPi is that is quiet low powered, compiled up jivelite and this runs well and is responsive enough (had to fiddle with HDMI values for my TV overscan etc, also some of the fonts were too small, but easily corrected), not sure how well it streams. XBMC is good but some of the interfaces are slow...I also have an Ouya (quad core) which is much quicker on XBMC, but more closed (and Android), so not a suitable choice for tight integration, shame RPi is so low spec on core processor front.
David,

As your already setup with the RPi then there's not such a priority to go for the L4.

While the main purpose for the L4 option would be to run SB3 or a streamer, I'm keen on the option to be able to run a totally integrated recorder / playback in a single box (also watch Youtube directly etc). The ability to connect a monitor and keyboard / mouse also allows us to operate the Room Correction graphical interface etc.

Yes, to join the MDAC2 project you just need to send £300 via Paypal to:-

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

We have the last handful of slots :)

Adrian's post raises an interesting question about whether people are likely to want to use the L4 just as a "streamer" or as a complete system with server software.

Streamer only, house server does many things, LMS being a minor part of its duties.

David,

Thank you :)

Renata should have Emailed you with confirmation.

Welcome aboard the MDAC2 project :)

Could not resist. Just payed £300 for the 3 first installments of MDAC2.

Elviz,

Thank you, but while its very uplifting to see funds arrive :) I'm not sure why you have sent £300 at this stage? as being a Toy / Fusion owner you already qualify for the MDAC2 L1 "At Cost".

The current first 3 installments have "paid upto" MDAC2 L1. Shall we refund you or keep your payment as an advance on the L3 Development + PCB Costs?

Elviz,

Thank you, but while its very uplifting to see funds arrive :) I'm not sure why you have sent £300 at this stage? as being a Toy / Fusion owner you already qualify for the MDAC2 L1 "At Cost".

The current first 3 installments have "paid upto" MDAC2 L1. Shall we refund you or keep your payment as an advance on the L3 Development + PCB Costs?

Copy of my response to Renata:
Oh. Have it as prepayment towards the L3. Been away for half year and coming back and figuring all these options and stuff has been a bit confusing. I didn't see my name in the mdac2 list at all. I was still unsure how this thing goes so i thought if click the pay button, at least then i am not forgotten ;).

Copy of my response to Renata:
Oh. Have it as prepayment towards the L3. Been away for half year and coming back and figuring all these options and stuff has been a bit confusing. I didn't see my name in the mdac2 list at all. I was still unsure how this thing goes so i thought if click the pay button, at least then i am not forgotten ;).

Elviz :)

Noted, Thank you :)

Hi John,

I still have my MDAC1 level 2 and am wondering whether it's normal that the MDAC gets quite warm, even though it's just on standby, meaning that it's connected to an 'empty' input (optical2) which doesn't do anything. Temperature in my living room is about 24 degrees celcius. Is it normal for the MDAC or is that a characteristic of the level 2 update? I never noticed it before...

Your Quad ESL like to be driven by Tube amplifiers - while typical "Box Speakers" are rather keen on Low impedance and high current!

IMHO, electrostatics are just unable to reproduce proper bass.
ESLs have a magical presentation, but they're really not my cup of tea.
(Have I told you I am a bass sensitive kind of listener)?
;)

Michael

;)

Michael

You could use a sub woofer to fill in the bass.

;)

Michael

I used to have active isobariks, now I have Martin Logan Summits - bass is deeper, more tuneful and I also have that electrostatic clarity that I had in my ESL57s but more so... OK, will admit that there are two 10" drivers and DSP and a huge power amp helping the bass out a bit.

I'll design a Phono Pre-amplifier with RIAA / Flat equalisation, until then a cheap but decent phono stage such as Arkless* modified CA640 should be OK to get you going :)

*I'm not sure if Arkless is still around, there have been a few post on other threads suggesting Jez is not active anymore...

Just seen this :confused: Yes John I'm still around! Hope your project is going well ;)

No, it's a standard MDAC. The one I use at my desk.

Thank you John! :)

Michael,

You units arrived - and thank you very much for the surprise gift :) - I'll reserve it to celebrate when I issue the next MDAC2 PCB files :)

I'll take a look at your unit in the next hour.

Michael,

You units arrived - and thank you very much for the surprise gift :) - I'll reserve it to celebrate when I issue the next MDAC2 PCB files :)

I'll take a look at your unit in the next hour.

You're welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back