advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is a silly question but what exactly is the ADC stage in the L3 MDAC2 for? Is it like a phono stage, which I still don't know what that is?

Seems like I should get the L2 MDAC2. Any quotes for 'Fusion' yet?

Sorry if this is a silly question but what exactly is the ADC stage in the L3 MDAC2 for? Is it like a phono stage, which I still don't know what that is?

Seems like I should get the L2 MDAC2. Any quotes for 'Fusion' yet?

Yes it's for recording LP's played on a turntable or other analogue inputs e.g. microphones. The signal is converted in MDAC2 to high resolution digital and stored on your PC for example. Then you can play it back like your other music files so your LP's don't get knackered.

John doesn't know how many 'Fusion' upgrade resistors may be required yet, so no price available.

Yes it's for recording LP's played on a turntable or other analogue inputs e.g. microphones. The signal is converted in MDAC2 to high resolution digital and stored on your PC for example. Then you can play it back like your other music files so your LP's don't get knackered.

John doesn't know how many 'Fusion' upgrade resistors may be required yet, so no price available.
As I understand it, it is not like a phono stage as it will not have the necessary amplification to get the output of a cartridge up to line stage level. It's intended to convert the output of a phono stage to digital for the purpose of recording it, or possibly in order to play with it a bit.

what is the ADC stage in the L3 MDAC2 for?

ADC (analogue to digital converter) allows the input from an analogue source , turntable ,or tape ! but at line level ie. through a separate Phono stage first.

This allows for playback from your turntable (in real time) via the MDAC using the MDAC as a preamp. and also the ability to digitize your Lp's or cassette's onto your hard drive in DSD quality.

Whats not to like ? :)

Apart from the lack of space within the existing case in which to fit it. :eek:

ADC (analogue to digital converter) allows the input from an analogue source , turntable ,or tape ! but at line level ie. through a separate Phono stage first.

This allows for playback from your turntable (in real time) via the MDAC using the MDAC as a preamp. and also the ability to digitize your Lp's or cassette's onto your hard drive in DSD quality.

Whats not to like ? :)

Apart from the lack of space within the existing case in which to fit it. :eek:

Yours is the best reply. Real Time playback of analogue sources is an important thing, I would say.
:)
However, not to like in the ADC is the extra cost it brings for someone who struggles to find anything analogue to plug in. :)
(maybe because my analogue sources are in some obscure corner of the garage playing the role of dust collectors)
:)

Michael

Currently my Pro-ject Experience and Arkless modded 640P ( rrp C. £ 1500.00)turntable rig.
sounds much better than my MDAC (rrp £ 600) into my Quad ESL.

Currently my Pro-ject Experience and Arkless modded 640P ( rrp C. £ 1500.00)turntable rig.
sounds much better than my MDAC (rrp £ 600) into my Quad ESL.

The day a digital system sounds as good a Vinyl is the day I'll retire :)

I'm glad I'm not alone in preferring the sound of a good Turntable setup :)

The MDAC2 L3 offers the possibility to listen to the Analogue source direct and via the MDAC2's ADC / DAC loop allowing a direct sound quality comparison - its my hope (belief) that at least in High speed DSD mode the MDAC2 digitization loop should come very close to the direct analogue path.

Sold my creek and ordered a series 7 power. That's my mdac 2 money gone. :(. Put my name down for a unwanted/spare at the end if there is any!

As long as you don't listen at concert levels, I believe you will be very happy with the Croft - its in a totally different league to the Creek :)

However, not to like in the ADC is the extra cost it brings for someone who struggles to find anything analogue to plug in.

The MDAC ADC option (L3) is available as an extra option - for those who have no need for an Analogue input don't need to spend the extra :)

Hello,

Yesterday I tried to update the firmware on my MDAC.
The process seemed to work, then the message "Unit replied with a 'K'" (can't remember the exact words but it was a 'K') appeared on screen.
The unit then rebooted and showed up with "LAKE.WEST No Comms". Windows tried to install a new driver but failed and shows 'Unkown' in the device manager.
I powered on & off quite a lot and also tried the factory reset method but still get the No Comms and 'Unkown' device type.
I left the unit overnight to cool down but this morning I still have the same problem.

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you.

Hello,

Yesterday I tried to update the firmware on my MDAC.
The process seemed to work, then the message "Unit replied with a 'K'" (can't remember the exact words but it was a 'K') appeared on screen.
The unit then rebooted and showed up with "LAKE.WEST No Comms". Windows tried to install a new driver but failed and shows 'Unkown' in the device manager.
I powered on & off quite a lot and also tried the factory reset method but still get the No Comms and 'Unkown' device type.
I left the unit overnight to cool down but this morning I still have the same problem.

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you.

Try reloading the software - hopefully it will work the second time around.

Hi John,

Thanks for the swift reply :).

I have tried reloading with all the different firmware updates available and get the message 'Cannot find M-DAC - Please make sure it is switched on and connected via USB Press any key to continue.....'. When I press any key the update closes.

The MDAC ADC option (L3) is available as an extra option - for those who have no need for an Analogue input don't need to spend the extra :)

I know. :) That's why I'm going for Level 2. DSP powa! :)

Regarding vinyl sounding better than digital, I must disagree. Vinyl does have an appeal more difficult to find on digital. That said, it also brings a lot of limitations that I was very glad to get rid of, when digital came up:
- Narrow dynamics and weak signal to noise ratio
- non linear frequency response
- bad quality pressings
- occasional high distortion from several sources: Dust, part of track, vibration, needle wear, etc.
- damaged vinyl
etc. etc.

Even if digital can't sound as lovely, I always find it a lot more closer to reality than vinyl.

Michael

Hi John,

Thanks for the swift reply :).

I have tried reloading with all the different firmware updates available and get the message 'Cannot find M-DAC - Please make sure it is switched on and connected via USB Press any key to continue.....'. When I press any key the update closes.

PM me here on PFM with your Email and maybe a contact phone number and lets see what I can do - I've been awake since yesterday so I might contact you later once I've had a few hours sleep.

I have just received a beautiful black M-dac bought from ebay. I have to say that it is a very impressive product. I am amazed that such a well designed, finished and specified product can be sold for so little (new price not second hand). [edit: oh yes and it does sound lovely]

I have a couple of newb questions:
-How do I find out which version of the firmware is on it?

-am I right in thinking that someone compiled at one point a list of people's reported preferences for filters and firmware.

-can anyone point me out an explanation of what the various DPLL settings do (how they fit into the receiver/ASRC chain)

*[yes yes I know, I'm also currently reading this great new book called the Iliad and have discovered that smoking is bad for your health.]

Hi Adam.

Press the volume control and then power up - this will show firmware version (and voltage IIRC).

The DPLL settings are useful when you have a source whose frequency drifts would otherwise cause Mdac to lose lock and cause audio drop-outs.

MY Samsung PVR/Freeview/Blu-ray needed a medium setting on the Mdac to cope with the extreme drift.

Regards
Dave.

Hi Adam.

Press the volume control and then power up - this will show firmware version (and voltage IIRC).

The DPLL settings are useful when you have a source whose frequency drifts would otherwise cause Mdac to lose lock and cause audio drop-outs.

MY Samsung PVR/Freeview/Blu-ray needed a medium setting on the Mdac to cope with the extreme drift.

Regards
Dave.
Thanks Dave. Very helpful. My SBT seems to be outputting a rock solid 44,094 Hz signal. I guess I'll have to live with the 0.013% pitch error

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back