advertisement

Maria Miller resigns

'Labour' and 'Conservative' is just a choice of packaging - beneath the skin both are the exact same ugly failed neoliberalism of a rather authoritarian nature. Both parties are corrupt, both are responsible for the misappropriation of tax revenue given in good faith for public services and national infrastructure. Same trough, same type of self-serving and corrupt sociopath feasting at it, voting just gets you the choice of the colour of the tie. PFI and sham parasitic companies like A4E, G4S etc etc belong to them both equally. They both dug the same hole and both shat in it.

Given!

Forcibly extracted, more like!;)

Chris

Jeez!

You don't 'get' it any more than Chris does. Do you?

For the purposes of this discussion it doesn't matter whether it is likely to be better or worse in private ownership.

What matters is whether the sale was conducted honestly and without any hint of corruption/insider dealing etc. All the available evidence points to it being not just ineptly, but dishonestly handled.

That is the point the right do not seem able to grasp.

Mull

I am quite able to grasp it...I am saying that the PFI fiasco presided over by Dr Brown and J Prescott was - to be charitable-probably verging on the corrupt-

Simon

So you don't see my point?

I don't see how her behaviour is defensible, either at the time or subsequently. But then I don't see how John Mann or Ed Miliband's behaviour is defensible either. Or that of the press who hounded her parents. It's very grubby politics all round.

Paul
I don't buy the counter-complaint about door stepping her parents. On the basis of her claim why would her parents be living there?

'Labour' and 'Conservative' is just a choice of packaging - beneath the skin both are the exact same ugly failed neoliberalism of a rather authoritarian nature. Both parties are corrupt, both are responsible for the misappropriation of tax revenue given in good faith for public services and national infrastructure. Same trough, same type of self-serving and corrupt sociopath feasting at it, voting just gets you the choice of the colour of the tie. PFI and sham parasitic companies like A4E, G4S etc etc belong to them both equally. They both dug the same hole and both shat in it.

Quite

Simon

These are mostly press allegations..............

I hope you include all the PFI contracts for hospitals and schools implemented by Gordon Brown and his cronies that we will all be paying through the nose for- for many years hence...... (These are facts)

These are universally acknowledged to have been really bad deals for the taxpayer...pretty much in line with Gordon Brown`s decision to offload a big chunk of our gold reserves at a knockdown price

Simon

The matter at hand is the deposed minister for culture, backed to the hilt by the Prime Minister but successfully taken out by his own backbenchers and a Tory broadsheet. This is the thin end of the wedge- both will be back for more. The unreconstructed far right of the party with the help of the Barclays and Nigel have found they have influence after all.

I don't buy the counter-complaint about door stepping her parents. On the basis of her claim why would her parents be living there?
I don't know, I've not followed the story, and I'm not going to research it. I was simply reporting something that was reported (as it were....)

I still think your explicit labelling of her as a thief is libellous though, and should, as a general rule, be tempered.

Paul

I don't know, I've not followed the story, and I'm not going to research it. I was simply reporting something that was reported (as it were....)

I still think your explicit labelling of her as a thief is libellous though, and should, as a general rule, be tempered.

Paul

From a master shroud waving.

Reporter knocks on a door at the address of a person they hope to interview.
Someone other than the expect person opens the door.
Is this doorstepping or is it declared doorstepping when viewed with the 20-20 vision bestowed by hindsight?

The Torygraph editor said they'd been intimidated by Miller's henchmen in an attempt to get the story dropped but with their doughty shield of truth and sword of justice, they published anyway.

Maria isn't in the same league as fellow Conservatives though, Lord Archer of Kings across, Neil Hamilton or Jonathan Aitken. She's not having to do jail time.

Quite. Claims of harassing her olds' is Pound Land quality flannel.

The left tried that before about 80 years ago in Germany...must be something in their deep rooted philosophy that keeps popping up from time to time.

Imo there needs to be a rule in the aup barring the repeated posting of such known falsehoods.

And the Guardian is only kept going by a tax-payer subsidy via the BBC's advertising (around 86% of its recruitment budget)... and Auntie buys around 68,000 copies of it each year.

That is another load of hairy danglers.
Perhaps you should start by asking the DM why they don't operate a media jobs section.
It would be a waste of money for Auntie to advertise for recruits amongst the cruises and caravans.

You've really bought the Tory propaganda about Miller haven't you?

Farage will get a firestorm - but for his alleged illegal use of EU expenses - quite rightly.

No, I'm looking at the facts, which are that a number of sitting MPs have committed worse crimes and are currently being left alone, which is why there were virtually no calls for her resignation from the Labour benches. Miller was in the firing line because she upset the press. That doesn't mean she should't have been sacked of course - she should, from her cabinet position and as MP. I'd actually like to see changes to the law and retrospective prosecutions.

I don't think any of that represents the Tory line.

Basically, the UK is essentially a centre right nation which likes to whinge a lot. Suck it up.

Chris

The centre right often gets the biggest single chunk of those bothering to vote.
If you add the votes of Labour and the liberals, both historically taking a slightly left of centre position in most decades, there is no majority for anything on the right and never has been.
Not that it matters especially since there is little difference in practice.

What you should be mindful of, scared of even are the millions who don't vote because they see no stake in society are are currently dormant. This group can be mobilised with the right message and a charismatic delivery - a hard left version of Farage would do it. Then you'd see how centre-right this country is!
Look at what happens with the young on social networking sites when someone like Brand starts to stir the pot a little making vaguely revolutionary noises. It's there alright.

Nigel Evans has the full confidence of the Prime Minister*

*the constituency association may take an Old Testament view however.

These are mostly press allegations..............

They highlight the fact that there is much going on which lacks transparency and is largely masked by the smokescreen and bluster of the 'hard working people v benefits scroungers' agenda.

I hope you include all the PFI contracts for hospitals and schools implemented by Gordon Brown and his cronies that we will all be paying through the nose for- for many years hence...... (These are facts)

These are universally acknowledged to have been really bad deals for the taxpayer...pretty much in line with Gordon Brown`s decision to offload a big chunk of our gold reserves at a knockdown price

Simon

Two wrongs.... etc.

Mull

Paul, you have two styles to your critical posts- slow, tedious deconstruction or occasional sudden litigiousness. There's a happy medium which seems difficult for you to strike- you know, getting a bit annoyed and simply expressing it.

Jeez!

You don't 'get' it any more than Chris does. Do you?

For the purposes of this discussion it doesn't matter whether it is likely to be better or worse in private ownership.

What matters is whether the sale was conducted honestly and without any hint of corruption/insider dealing etc. All the available evidence points to it being not just ineptly, but dishonestly handled.

That is the point the right do not seem able to grasp.

Mull

Look, Mam, everybody's marching out of step except Mull!!:)

Chris

advertisement

Back