advertisement

Son et Image Montreal 2014: Naim disappears up it's own a@*%!

Naim are not a British company; they sold their firm to the French and have jumped to Focal's orders ever since.

The Montreal show also encourages dealers to display systems for $5000 or less, even though you are mainly listening to stuff you need a living room the size of an airport lounge to accommodate, and for some $5000 would amount to nothing more than a couple of feet of cabling, a lot make the effort. So in that context there are certain behaviours that can appear overly self important and more than a little silly to the extent it's quite easy to become a parody of yourself.

I actually prefer 'closed door' demonstrations. True, it is a bit inconvenient to have to get a ticket (free) before hand but I feel the benefits outweigh the negatives. At least one isn't so easily interrupted by the noise from the corridor, people coming and going, walking in front of you, standing in front of the speakers, talking loudly behind you. There is also usually a proper presentation with the aim of demonstrating specific aspects.

To be honest, the OP seems largely to be pissed off because his cunning plan to slip in to the room was defeated by the other visitors having tickets.

The opening post thinks nothing of the sort and actually had little intention of entering the room with or without a ticket. But thanks for explainig my actions to me.

So if you had no intention to enter the room, why does Naim's admission policy bother you? To me it reads like you thought Naim owed you to remain stuck in the 1970s, or perhaps, 1980s, out of gratitude to you for having once bought some of their stuff?

Because in the context of the show their attitude seemed increasingly absurd each time I walked past the room. I suppose every other exhibitor by allowing people just to enter without so much as a by your leave must be still living in the 70's and 80's. Maybe that's why the DeLorean was there.

So if you had no intention to enter the room, why does Naim's admission policy bother you? To me it reads like you thought Naim owed you to remain stuck in the 1970s, or perhaps, 1980s, out of gratitude to you for having once bought some of their stuff?

Naim's admission policy seem excessive and pretentious in a HiFi show where you already have to pay a fee to assist.

I have opinions on lots of things but am not bothered about the subject enough to make a thread on a forum out of it. Why Naim have raised your ire enough to overcome the general inertia most of us have about these things is what I wanted to know but am now not interested in finding out anymore.

Anyway, thanks for your attitude, I realise you're doing this to get past the 50 posts threshold, but I'm unlikely to buy whatever it is that you intend to offer.

Yeah, but what concern is it of you?

We are merely humble hobbyists we mean no harm, Markus please find it in your heart to ask NAIM if they could possibly let us peek into the room after everyone else has gone home and maybe before everything is packed up. We will dress for the occasion.

Louballoo

I have opinions on lots of things but am not bothered about the subject enough to make a thread on a forum out of it. Why Naim have raised your ire enough to overcome the general inertia most of us have about these things is what I wanted to know but am now not interested in finding out anymore.

Anyway, thanks for your attitude, I realise you're doing this to get past the 50 posts threshold, but I'm unlikely to buy whatever it is that you intend to offer.

There we go. Now go and repeatedly punch a cushion and lie down in a darkened room.

The last audio show I went to was RMAF in 2012. Best room of the show for me was Magnepan. They were unveiling their brand new $599 MMG panels along with a similarly priced bass panel. It was a timed demo, and you needed a (free) ticket to attend. The attendees were quiet and respectful of others around them during the demo, and because the presentation was orchestrated, I was actually able to hear the system and learn something about it how it worked from its designer.

It was also a memorable experience because I had the opportunity to chat with Alan Sircom about the demo right after its completion. He said he liked what he heard, and that he was amazed by the price. One kind punter, recognizing Alan as press, insisted he take his front row center seat. I thought that was a very nice gesture.

The only other rooms I actually learned something from were those where I happened to be the only person in the room (and during the few precious minutes when my host would let me listen in peace). Otherwise, the chatter and crowd movement made listening a challenge. IMO, more audio manufacturers should offer planned, timed demos. Tickets should be offered online and ahead of time. That way, attendees can better plan their day.

Hook

The last audio show I went to was RMAF in 2012. Best room of the show for me was Magnepan. They were unveiling their brand new $599 MMG panels along with a similarly priced bass panel. It was a timed demo, and you needed a (free) ticket to attend. The attendees were quiet and respectful of others around them during the demo, and because the presentation was orchestrated, I was actually able to hear the system and learn something about it how it worked from its designer.

It was also a memorable experience because I had the opportunity to chat with Alan Sircom about the demo right after its completion. He said he liked what he heard, and that he was amazed by the price. One kind punter, recognizing Alan as press, insisted he take his front row center seat. I thought that was a very nice gesture.

The only other rooms I actually learned something from were those where I happened to be the only person in the room (and during the few precious minutes when my host would let me listen in peace). Otherwise, the chatter and crowd movement made listening a challenge. IMO, more audio manufacturers should offer planned, timed demos. Tickets should be offered online and ahead of time. That way, attendees can better plan their day.

Hook

Don't disagree with any of that. In fact Sony were also doing something similar demoing their new speakers and hi-res music, but this consisted of an employee allowing a certain amount of people to fill the room, then closing the door and asking the others to please wait to go in.
However, there is a time and place for everything and in a show that encourages sub-$5000 systems to show people that quality audio is affordable, Naim giving it the big 'I am' with security and a red velvet rope seemed out of place.

Don't disagree with any of that. In fact Sony were also doing something similar demoing their new speakers and hi-res music, but this consisted of an employee allowing a certain amount of people to fill the room, then closing the door and asking the others to please wait to go in.
However, there is a time and place for everything and in a show that encourages sub-$5000 systems to show people that quality audio is affordable, Naim giving it the big 'I am' with security and a red velvet rope seemed out of place.

If I understand correctly, Naim were showing their new $200k+ "Statement" system, correct? I am guessing that this is one of only a very few, if not the only working prototype in existence.

If your point is that they had no business demo'ing such a high-end product at this particular show, then that is an argument you can make, and others may agree or disagree.

But it is hard to argue against their concern for security and orderliness, given they were demoing something that would be very difficult and expensive to repair if accidentally dinged up. I have no doubt that Naim deliberately tried to set a mood that indicated their demo was going to be something special. Based on what others who heard the Statement at CES have said, it was indeed.

Too bad you didn't get a ticket and attend the demo. Who knows, you may have come away from the experience thinking it was worth your time and effort. Or maybe you even missed an opportunity to be amazed. I suppose we'll never know...

ATB.

Hook

Or next time, get a ticket and a biiiig hammer...cos a hammer without a ticket will give you no opportunity to smash a unique product, which as we all know happens with boring regularity at every hi-fi show.....

If I understand correctly, Naim were showing their new $200k+ "Statement" system, correct? I am guessing that this is one of only a very few, if not the only working prototype in existence.

If your point is that they had no business demo'ing such a high-end product at this particular show, then that is an argument you can make, and others may agree or disagree.

But it is hard to argue against their concern for security and orderliness, given they were demoing something that would be very difficult and expensive to repair if accidentally dinged up. I have no doubt that Naim deliberately tried to set a mood that indicated their demo was going to be something special. Based on what others who heard the Statement at CES have said, it was indeed.

Too bad you didn't get a ticket and attend the demo. Who knows, you may have come away from the experience thinking it was worth your time and effort. Or maybe you even missed an opportunity to be amazed. I suppose we'll never know...

ATB.

Hook

Naim had every right to demo their product, I honestly had no problem with that at all. In fact I have actually attended a Naim demo they put on at a local Naim dealer here in Montreal when they brought out their Ovators, and I could easily have taken a ticket and waited to go in, I was certainly there long enough.
But on approaching and hearing the guy in front asking why he had to give his contact details and email to be added to their database just so he could go in the room made me think twice, not because I've never been spammed by being on a database and so what, how terrible I'm on a audio company's email list. It just made me take a step back and observe the whole image that was being presented and I thought this is all just a bit pretentious. Ok, so they no doubt have a remarkable piece of equipment but please dial it down a bit.

At bristol show i don't think filling in the email was a deal breaker.
I put a made up one on the ticket.

At bristol show i don't think filling in the email was a deal breaker.
I put a made up one on the ticket.

You're right it wasn't a deal breaker, in fact it's hardly a big deal at all. It just put me off and view the whole thing in a different light.
I have no regrets at all about not hearing the amp (they all sound the same don't they? Or is that dacs?). If I could have taken one item home with me it would have been the DeLorean anyway.

Oh the irony (and the hypocrisy). More often than not the people with the money are actually less competent, less intelligent and less discerning than ordinary folk on the street. The nouveau aristocracy have no idea about anything. Money = power, thats all.

Emperors new clothes.

All Naim are doing is catering to the fantasy. If they actually priced it within most folks reach it would soon loose its exclusive shine as people would realise a SH Nait 2 had it beat decades ago.

advertisement

Back