advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seriously listening to yours and JTC's unit since Friday and its been quite noticeable (even Renata commented) how the sound has "Settled down" over the past few days.
Oh, you do tease us so ;)

Oh, you do tease us so ;)

Now that would make my day (or evening :D )f you were wearing boots and FEMALE!!! :p

I need to apply the same modifications as ALE79's PCB - also for some reason your board breaks into Left Channel White noise occasionally when I switch my lab bench lamps on - need to find out what's going on with it... When I get crazy demented over the MDAC2 PCB design I'll take a brake and work on your PCB... I'm sure that's going to be sooner then later....

With SPDIF source the "main" Jitter attenuation strategy would be the ESS's ASRC - or our own FPGA ASRC implementation.

With Async USB, no "interface" Jitter attenuation is required as the DAC is clocked via the MDAC's internal master clock.

None the less I will be interested to see how the buffer compares to async usb.

Do you not believe in ram buffers john ?, seen how async usb is superior to asrc i would have thought the ram buffer would help or improve the asrc interfaces.

Both would be fine: Downloadable filter curves would be good as the best software I've found (for free anyway..) is Room EQ Wizard, which made a better job of my room than the Behringer built in system.

One of the most often requested feature is some form of "Simple" room correction / Room EQ / Tone controls / equalization.

I discussed it with Dominik at length this evening / Morning and the FPGA is not best suited for DSP type processing - so we propose adding an onboard DSP processor allowing us in the future to offer room EQ and basic room correction which would go some way to help solving room resonant issue etc.

The advantage of having the DSP onboard allows sampling rates upto 192KHz (and maybe 384KHz) as a one box solution – although the room acoustics analysis software and user interface for measuring and analysing the room and loudspeaker responses would be run on a computer – once the optimal settings have been found then these results are downloaded to the MDAC2’s DSP via the USB interface and the MDAC2 can then be operated as a standalone unit with no further need for the computer.

We would make the MDAC2 onboard DSP compatible with PC software from a company like REW’s Room EQ Wizard http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

With the onboard DSP engine we could also offer features such as Tone controls and Headphone Crossfeed support etc – anything that requires DSP.

If there is the general consensus with MDAC2 “owners” to go ahead with the additional DSP then the extra hardware cost (which includes the cost of the DSP IC and hardware development) would be GBP100.

Adding the DSP processor to the hardware design would add less then a weeks delay to the release of the MDAC2 – although the software / features would be enabled after the initial release of the MDAC2 (upon release of the MDAC2 the hardware will be DSP enabled but it will take Dominik a few months to get the software full operational).

As a side note, we would also add Bluetooth audio streaming as it can be added to the design for less then GBP10 – while the Bluetooth input is not selected the module will be completely powered down so there can be no concern about RF issues.

The idea behind adding Bluetooth is as a convenience feature allowing you to stream YouTube / Spotify / Skype type audio from a laptop or Mobile device – its not intended for serious listening – but if you anything like me, then I spend 90% of the time I just having music / news steaming in the background while I work, and Bluetooth is ideal for this.

None the less I will be interested to see how the buffer compares to async usb.

Do you not believe in ram buffers john ?, seen how async usb is superior to asrc i would have thought the ram buffer would help or improve the asrc interfaces.

Dan,

Yes - your correct I'd choose Ram-Buffer over ASRC with SPDIF sources any time - accept when the audio delay is critical (such watching movies etc).

By default the MDAC2 will have the ASRC mode enabled for SPDIF inputs, but for those more advanced user who can live with the extra delay, then the Ram Buffer mode can be enabled - each input can be assigned a Mode, so for the CD input you can use the Ram Buffer, while for the AV input you can select the ASRC for shortest and fixed audio conversion time.

To be a bit pedantic, you still have the USB data clock, so 2 independent clock domains, but the USB data clock is not used for anything else.

On the MDAC / MDAC2 the USB clock is Synchronous with the audio sampling clock - the MDAC2 will use a PLL to generate the USB clock from the audio master clock and thus prevent any inter-domain clock modulation effects, every clock in the MDAC2 is Synchronous with the audio conversion clock.

If there is the general consensus with MDAC2 “owners” to go ahead with the additional DSP then the extra hardware cost (which includes the cost of the DSP IC and hardware development) would be GBP100.

Adding the DSP processor to the hardware design would add less then a weeks delay to the release of the MDAC2 – although the software / features would be enabled after the initial release of the MDAC2 (upon release of the MDAC2 the hardware will be DSP enabled but it will take Dominik a few months to get the software full operational).

As a side note, we would also add Bluetooth audio streaming as it can be added to the design for less then GBP10 – while the Bluetooth input is not selected the module will be completely powered down so there can be no concern about RF issues.

No to both.
While I understand the dynamics of changing requirements, I signed up for the 'basic' MDAC2; which IIRC for Level 2 upgrade owners would be about £125. (although digital loop would be nice :D)

Johan

No to both.
While I understand the dynamics of changing requirements, I signed up for the 'basic' MDAC2; which IIRC for Level 2 upgrade owners would be about £125. (although digital loop would be nice :D)

Johan

Noted :) lets see what the general consensus...

For Toy / Fusion owners the board will be sold "At Cost" its more likely to be £200...

We might end up with two versions of the MDAC2 as while DSP speaker / room correction is not my thing - we receive many request for the feature, and Bluetooth is practically for free so why not...

I am absolutely all for it!
It's fascinating you mentioned this option just now as only yesterday I started looking into DRC softwares (Dirac seems interesting).
I don't see myself using bluetooth much but I guess it's worth having the option since the cost isn't very high.

I am absolutely all for it!
It's fascinating you mentioned this option just now as only yesterday I started looking into DRC softwares (Dirac seems interesting).
I don't see myself using bluetooth much but I guess it's worth having the option since the cost isn't very high.

The Bluetooth module cost about $6 & the external antenna $1 so I rounded the whole lot upto GBP10... (considering 10% wastage & Dominiks software time, PCB area and PSU).... for GBP10 extra I feel why not as I might get to use it - I might not, but its there :)

Absolutely yes from me. I have heard how much of a difference room correction can make, and that is peanuts for it.
The trick is judicious use, dont overdo it otherwise you end up with a very specific listening position and everywhere else sounds worse... But with the software and a little bit of hand holding most people can improve the sound they get.

DSP option, yes please

However, could this possibly be a plug-in board/module option?

That way:
- it wouldn't add cost to those who don't want/use it
- it potentially gives you other future options in terms of its make up/performance/capability

Bluetooth - excellent idea for easy/occasional connections.

As you say, not necessarily highest fi, but perfect for 'party' mode for example

This is sacrilegious.

All that fine detail, dynamics, texture and harmony sacrificed for more impressive measurements.

At least it is optional. It reminds me of seat belt reminders in cars that sound off in rebuke if you unplug your seatbelt a fraction of a second before the car reaches a complete standstill, i.e. a nasty and annoying little gimmick.

If it's what the market wants. . .

but if you anything like me, then I spend 90% of the time I just having music / news steaming in the background while I work, and Bluetooth is ideal for this.

I have a bluetooth input on my Musical Fidelity M1SDAC, and it is so convenient for working - also its made my hifi accessible for my wife to play music from her iPhone which = big brownie points for 'that black box' (her words)

Looking forward to hearing about the MDAC2!

If we're going away from the original concept then I want network streaming capability added as well. For me wired would be ok, but others will want wireless as well. Plus a nice app to control everything.

Cheers,
Johan

No to both.

Johan

All,

I agree with JohanH. It seems as we're trying to build an Audio God Machine. I see the schedule drifting into the far future.

/Lars

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back