advertisement

What hifi system would you choose up to 25k

Active ATCs / Benchmark DAC.

Outstanding selection James, now where did I put my 'I like it hot' tee shirt.

What is this forum's obsession with ATC's please enlighten me as it has passed me by on several hundred occasions.

Though If had to pick between atc / pmc I would take the atc's but it would require a lot of strong arm tactics.

It's really easy to piss away a lot of cash on Naim and not be happy just read the Naim forum, regard the high rollers constantly upping the warhead count as a warning sign. Go there as a last resort. Choose life, choose Pro Actives.

Outstanding selection James, now where did I put my 'I like it hot' tee shirt.

What is this forum's obsession with ATC's please enlighten me as it has passed me by on several hundred occasions.

Though If had to pick between atc / pmc I would take the atc's but it would require a lot of strong arm tactics.

Tone,

ATCs are actually rather good.

If I had £25k to spend on a new system - I'd probably buy pretty much what I have and pocket the remaining £15k-ish. Oh, and yes, ATCs are rather fine speakers as I discovered (though it took me a while to get it)...

[Epic flounce]I think I'm gonna post r34 and get roasted on 4chan[/Epic flounce]

Well James, please using all of your delightful interpersonal skills give me the low down on why your feel ATC make it for you.

If I could understand the question, Tony, I would answer it. I've always thought it is very funny that you chose "Coherent Systems" as your brand name.

All forums have their cultures. 10 years ago, this thread would have been 50% recommendations for Naim DBLs or Linn Isobariks with 2 or 3 acceptable choices of amplification. Currently, the forum culture favours ATCs (one faction, quite a lot of them would have supported Briks in that earlier thread), Tannoys (another faction), and a rather broad choice of other available designs.

Ask the same question on three other forums and you'll get three other forum cultures. I'm a member of a forum elsewhere where they'd tell you that you need to spend a few k on the streamer of choice, add digital room and speaker correction plus some active room mode equalization, plus active speakers (non-studio versions being preferred for reasons of aesthetics), or you are not A Serious Audiophile.

There may even be a forum strongly in favour of B+Ws.

As others have said, one has to find what suits one's ears and room.

"I've listened to b&w 803 diamonds and 802 diamonds, Kef reference 205, pmc twenty 26 and fact 8."

Paul I currently have KEF reference speakers (old model) and am thinking of looking at the PMC 20/26 as replacement - what were your impressions of the two compared ?

Hello,
I found the Kef reference to be very congested in the midrange and tweeter, and the bass muddy.
The PMC has a wider dispersion and forward midrange, I found the treble to be a bit bright at times and the bass thin, but on certain types of music the PMC speakers were very good.
I would choose PMC over the Kef.
But, today I listened to ATC 25 actives which are around the same money as the other two, the ATC are way way better.
Have a listen :)

All forums have their cultures. 10 years ago, this thread would have been 50% recommendations for Naim DBLs or Linn Isobariks with 2 or 3 acceptable choices of amplification. Currently, the forum culture favours ATCs (one faction, quite a lot of them would have supported Briks in that earlier thread), Tannoys (another faction), and a rather broad choice of other available designs.

Ask the same question on three other forums and you'll get three other forum cultures. I'm a member of a forum elsewhere where they'd tell you that you need to spend a few k on the streamer of choice, add digital room and speaker correction plus some active room mode equalization, plus active speakers (non-studio versions being preferred for reasons of aesthetics), or you are not A Serious Audiophile.

There may even be a forum strongly in favour of B+Ws.

As others have said, one has to find what suits one's ears and room.

You forgot to mention the ridiculous amount of Mana required in order to be relevant. Those folks are now the sane ones giving us advice. :)

martin logan speakers with a very good amplifier
absolute magic and very accommodating in a domestic arena

A day trip to the Munich show would be time and ( not much) money well spent, you can hear every type of loudspeaker known to man, driven by every amplifier.
Keith.

You forgot to mention the ridiculous amount of Mana required in order to be relevant. Those folks are now the sane ones giving us advice. :)

I wouldn't have my gear on any other support, and yes, more is definitely better.

fwiw I wouldn't consider using mana anywhere near any of my gear. ATC are using Atacama stands for the 20s, 25s and 100s at the Musikmesse show. See here.

martin logan speakers with a very good amplifier
absolute magic and very accommodating in a domestic arena

Yes, 'accommodating' is the right word. Nice and slim, volume adjustment on the active subs, good dispersion. They do need an amp with plenty of oomph, as the impedance drops dramatically at high frequencies.

I run my ML Montis with a Devialet 170, which works pretty well.

So a big shout for Devialet too. (I know this has been mentioned earlier.) The Devs are phenomenally transparent, and the new models push out loads of power and current together with that gorgeous Class A transparency. The 170 is "only" £6.3K. Are there any amps under £10K that can beat it? (And it has an integrated DAC, so you can feed it with a simple NAS drive via USB or ethernet.)

advertisement

Back