advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John ,

As mentioned or rather hinted at ... I will hold back on full fusion and go for the L2 Toy+ upgrade please , as my unit is with you.

Also hold back on the balanced headphone option I will wait for full pcb version.

So how many of the pending 20 have replied ?
Anyone still opting for full fusion at this stage?

Hi Phil,

Noted - thank you :)

Not only does it save me time, but ends up being cheaper in the long run as you can DIY Home exchange your MDAC2 PCB, you would only need to purchase a replacement sent of "Toy" resistors (shipping your MDAC back and forth to Czech Rep. costs more then the replacement resistors, This also saves on you being left without your DAC once again).

http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC_Next#Level_2_owners_getting_Next_Gen_PCB_at_cost

Yourself, Malyq & EIffel are holding back on the Fusion conversion at this stage - thank you :)

John ,

As mentioned or rather hinted at ... I will hold back on full fusion and go for the L2 Toy+ upgrade please , as my unit is with you.

Also hold back on the balanced headphone option I will wait for full pcb version.

So how many of the pending 20 have replied ?
Anyone still opting for full fusion at this stage?

Yes I'm still hoping John will do the full Fusion and AV bypass for me once the resistors arrive. I'm sure the the sound quality will be plenty good enough for me for quite a while. I will consider the Mk2 when in full production but I won't be in a rush.

I just ordered your recommendation "Bach: Six Concertos for the Margrave of Brandenburg". I'll use it to test my fusion'ed unit.

About to ship your Fusion'ed MDAC - but noted we don't have your return address - if you could please PM your details.

Renata says to tell you that as she does not have your unit in her system, she considers its her DAC - and its not going anywhere! So I guess she likes it! :D

Yes I'm still hoping John will do the full Fusion and AV bypass for me once the resistors arrive. I'm sure the the sound quality will be plenty good enough for me for quite a while. I will consider the Mk2 when in full production but I won't be in a rush.

No need to hope :) - off course I will happily :)

Hi Phil,

Noted - thank you :)

Not only does it save me time, but ends up being cheaper in the long run as you can DIY Home exchange your MDAC2 PCB, you would only need to purchase a replacement sent of "Toy" resistors (shipping your MDAC back and forth to Czech Rep. costs more then the replacement resistors, This also saves on you being left without your DAC once again).

http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC_Next#Level_2_owners_getting_Next_Gen_PCB_at_cost

Yourself, Malyq & EIffel are holding back on the Fusion conversion at this stage - thank you :)

For this to work, would it make sense to modify the back panel of the case for the AV pass through now, or will there be a revised back panel which could be inserted later on?

For this to work, would it make sense to modify the back panel of the case for the AV pass through now, or will there be a revised back panel which could be inserted later on?

We will have to make a new rear panel - we already have our own tooling....

As we get closer to production, I'll need to know the colour of everyone's unit..

About to ship your Fusion'ed MDAC - but noted we don't have your return address - if you could please PM your details.

Renata says to tell you that as she does not have your unit in her system, she considers its her DAC - and its not going anywhere! So I guess he likes it! :D

John,

PM sent!

Oh well, please ask Renata if she would consider trading the MDAC for a little present. I'm very greatful for her continuous support in this upgrade operation.

Same goes to you John! Thank you very much!

Kind Regards,
Michael

Hi John,
I’ve wondered for some time why you didn’t go down this route IMHO it’s the only way to go, and indeed may not be the last full re-build? It seems such a fast developing area, and this change of thinking really makes sense to me. This is probably heresy on this site while the MDAC is wonderful value for money, it is getting long in the tooth compared to some recent American offerings, DSD and at least 384 plus state of the art analogue performance is essential to its continued success.
Would I be right in thinking that besides the current resistor/capacitor changes only high quality proven components will go into the rest of the analogue and regulator circuits and indeed wherever else you may deem on the rest of the PCB. And if this is the case, H.Phone and back panel analogue output would be class leading?
Would it also be the case that there would be little point in changing the existing off board power supply as all on board regulation has been improved? Or would a higher V/A be necessary for the additional DAC?
You can have my dosh for the full house upgrade whenever you say the word.

We will have to make a new rear panel - we already have our own tooling....

As we get closer to production, I'll need to know the colour of everyone's unit..

My should be black.
I also would like to upgrade at least to TOY+
I am thinking about FUSION.
When it's time to decide I will write you an PM.
OK?

regards
F.S.

Hello John,

What would be your suggestion about my unit. I'm in for the new PCB with the fusion upgrade.
I know you are not satisfied with it as is, but you were happy with it before you did more fusion upgrades. Maybe as is is good enough for me for now.
Then common sense would be to ship it back end of july and wait for the new PCB to arrive.
I consider myself a pretty critical listener so I would have to rely on your judgement on this.

Your thoughts please,
Cheers

Johan

Hello John,

What would be your suggestion about my unit. I'm in for the new PCB with the fusion upgrade.
I know you are not satisfied with it as is, but you were happy with it before you did more fusion upgrades. Maybe as is is good enough for me for now.
Then common sense would be to ship it back end of july and wait for the new PCB to arrive.
I consider myself a pretty critical listener so I would have to rely on your judgement on this.

Your thoughts please,
Cheers

Johan

Now that Fusions units packed to be shipped, I'm working on your unit. It will be ready to ship tomorrow - so awaiting your word to ship back to you (we have your Email).

I've improved your unit further - so lets see :)

Now that Fusions units packed to be shipped, I'm working on your unit. It will be ready to ship tomorrow - so awaiting your word to ship back to you (we have your Email).

I've improved your unit further - so lets see :)

Good news.
Please ship it back on the 22nd.

Thanks very much for your efforts and dedication

I'll let you know what my impressions are asap

Greetings from the land of the rising sun....

Cheers,
Johan

John, in the above case, does the owner send the original MDAC Toy+ PCB back to you after the DIY?

Leon

Hi John,
I have the other "Multicom" resistors L2 MDAC, I've skipped a couple of days of this thread and I'm not sure I understand how things have evolved..
I wanted to send you my L2 MDAC and order the FUSION resistors from HiFiCollective today to swap the "incriminated" Multicoms, is it still a sensible thing to do? Consider that if there are further (PCB,dual dac?!?) enhancement options I'm in for them as well.
What do I have to do? I am at a loss concerning how to proceed with the resistors substitution and other further enhancements..

Hi John,
I'm late to the party as usual having been away over the weekend (standing around in some fields near Pilton :) ) Why do these things always happen when my back is turned??!

Ok, I've just added myself to the list on the Wikki... i'd be more than happy and very excited to support your development of the new PCB, especially if it speeds up the arrival of the MIMPs and MPAX.
I have a couple of questions though, and sorry if these have been asked already, I must confess I did skim through some of the last 40 odd pages.

1) Do I understand correctly that a "Toy" MDAC2 can later be updated to a "Fusion" MDAC2, and if so would this be a difficult/risky DIY job?
2) Will the AV bypass be selectable via remote control?
3) At the moment I only switch to the MDAC for serious listeneing - my work horse is still the CDQ, soley due to the analogue pre and the fact that I have my turntable/phono stage plugged into it. I take it that the MDAC Mk2 won't be doing anything to change this situation?
4) Presumably the new PCB will still support both XLR and RCA output?

First Aid Kit have been mentioned on here before. They have just been on the BBC's coverage of Glastonbury. Absolutely bloody gorgeous.

I was there! Yes, they were good, but if it's gorgeous you're after, the Staves were in a whole different league. Absolute voices of angels - stunning stuff. Not sure if they got any TV coverage? I'll be looking for their CD as soon as I've finished typing this.

It be nice to add everyone who has supported the project’s name to the PCB (including the “at cost” units) :) the community support forever enshrined on the PCB - therefore making the MDA2 that bit more personal !!! You will be able to see your name on the PCB when the Hi-Fi press publish internal pictures of the design :)

I think this project is fantastic and the proposal of enshrining supporters names on the PCB is very generous of John. As part of the PFM community, we are all playing a small role in supporting John to develop what will presumably be a bleeding edge DAC... a cool thing to be a part of. It's been fascinating to follow the upgrade evolution through the various iterations. What better way to develop a product than through immediate interactive feedback of a passionate user community! I commend John for his commitment (does he sleep?) and wish him every success with MDAC MK2.

I'm not bothered if the timescale slips a bit. I suspect many of us are probably a little addicted to following this thread... if the schedule slips to the left, we'll be sustained by our fix here for a bit longer. It's certainly time consuming to keep up with... you must be committed to become a junkie!

I added myself to the list on the wiki. Looking forward to see how things evolve with this MK2 venture!

Ale79, John's not offering further Toy or Fusion Mods, if your dac isn't already with him. He might swap your resistors out, but otherwise he's focussing on moving things forward.

Your probably better off signing up for the M2 pcb and waiting until it's available to get it Fusioned. That seems to be the general consensus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back