advertisement

How to catalogue LP collection

This Discogs database is pretty nice. I've catalogued 618 albums so far and most of the catalogue numbers have been accounted for in their database so far. I think I made entries for about six so far for minor changes such as country of orgin...

Your collection can be viewed and sorted in a number if ways. The album artwork is shown as well, kind of like ITunes for vinyl. :cool:

You can get an instant value of your collection in one of the views based on the sale of the last ten items for that specific catalogue number. It gives you three different values min, median and max. Good for valuing your collection for insurance purposes.

One can even sell selected records via their website which is something I may consider once I enter my entire collection. So far, entering the catalogue number gets you the fastest hits to your specific record. It's amazing the value of some of my records, those purchased in the nineties seem to have the highest value.

I built my shelves myself into the alcove supported on 3 sides. I have the carpentry skills of a turnip and over 1 year later it's still up...!

I have them stored alphabetically by artist and have a printed out Excel list in a folder.

I keep the Excel info on my computer at work and any new LP's get added to the list. Every few weeks/months I print out a new updated list.

Works for me...:cool:

room6.jpg

This Discogs database is pretty nice. I've catalogued 618 albums so far and most of the catalogue numbers have been accounted for in their database so far. I think I made entries for about six so far for minor changes such as country of orgin...

Your collection can be viewed and sorted in a number if ways. The album artwork is shown as well, kind of like ITunes for vinyl. :cool:

You can get an instant value of your collection in one of the views based on the sale of the last ten items for that specific catalogue number. It gives you three different values min, median and max. Good for valuing your collection for insurance purposes.

One can even sell selected records via their website which is something I may consider once I enter my entire collection. So far, entering the catalogue number gets you the fastest hits to your specific record. It's amazing the value of some of my records, those purchased in the nineties seem to have the highest value.

Help !
I'm looking but I cannot see
How do you start or access Discogs for a library ?

Help !
I'm looking but I cannot see
How do you start or access Discogs for a library ?

You need to join Discogs. Use the search function and when find your version. Click on "Add To Collection".

You can then go to the tab 'My Discogs' and select 'My Collection' to see multiple views of your collection.

Hth, John

I suppose I'm up to 10 Expedite sections - got distracted by CDs for a decade.
I keep 10 or 15 'currently listening' albums out near the record player. Everything is arranged alphabetically apart from one section (wife's records) and a group of 'hard to catalogue' oddities.

Crucial part of system is the use of a small, pre-literate child as a random access device. Always fascinating to see what she chooses.

An ideal answer would be a hand held scanner that reads barcodes on a record sleeve and puts them into memory, or even wirelessly, so you can flick through the records zap the barcode and have it appear by the magic of technology in your database, with title, artist cover, everything is it.

O.K a bit tricky for white labels or wilfully obscure records that have no barcode, but perhaps a secondary look up by matrix number in those cases.

Or another way, employ a time-waster student to go though them all and input the details.

DS

You need to join Discogs. Use the search function and when find your version. Click on "Add To Collection".

You can then go to the tab 'My Discogs' and select 'My Collection' to see multiple views of your collection.

I currently have 1,952 entered with a max value of $44,753. A small percent of my records show no value because of lack of sales history, perhaps ones that have some value.

Hth, John

Thanks John
I was already joined a long while back but wasn't being logged in
Now I can see loads of things
I might have some valuable stuff.....

Time saving would be good
From bitter experience and time waster, student or otherwise would cause more work than they did !

Or another way, employ a time-water student to go though them all and input the details.

DS

In Discogs the details, ie. songs, production details, image of album cover... are already entered. All that needs to be done is a search of the catalog number and then a click on add to collection. It does take some time though but there is not a lot of data entry required.

Yes, I use Discogs a bit, but not comprehensively is it. The issue is how to catch up with the backlog.

The most effective thing for me is to have a plain text file list of the artist - title on my mobile electronic telecommunication device, so if I see a tasty record in the rack, but have a lingering doubt as to whether I have it already or not, I do a search it on the device. This has saved me from hundreds of duplicates. But I suffered a system failure at the weekend , and bought another copy of The Wave Squad's record again, and probably some other ones too.

I also use an app to d/l your Discogs database to your device, called 'Crate Digger', but it is pretty slow compared to a simple text file search there.

DS

The Vitsoe shelving is beautiful, simple and strong.

https://www.vitsoe.com/gb

I am planning to have similar looking ones fabricated to accommodate my LPs. My friend manufactures this stuff for supermarket shelving!

I have this shelving system (having thousands of books) and it takes a heck of a lot of records. The problem is using the shelving, which is steel, to house sensitive hifi, especially stuff with valves in them.

I have been thinking of getting a carpenter to use the end parts of a Vitsoe desk unit to attach to a custom cabinet which matches one of the two widths of the system. It would need to be a precision job - this stuff is almost millimetre perfect.

If you can stomach this video, which really is designer hand-job territory, you will see what I mean:

http://blog.kylemeyer.com/post/41463302095/tidy-up-your-life-with-vitsoe

Peter

I have had my system on Mana racking and added Reference tops and Sound bases to improve the sound further.
I'm happy with the look as well, but some might not go for the industrial appearance

I have had my system on Mana racking and added Reference tops and Sound bases to improve the sound further.
I'm happy with the look as well, but some might not go for the industrial appearance

I thought the use of Mana Acoustics Equipment Supports as a method of cataloguing LPs had been widely discredited back in the early 2000's is it?

DS

An ideal answer would be a hand held scanner that reads barcodes on a record sleeve and puts them into memory, or even wirelessly, so you can flick through the records zap the barcode and have it appear by the magic of technology in your database, with title, artist cover, everything is it.

O.K a bit tricky for white labels or wilfully obscure records that have no barcode.....

Many of my LPs pre-date barcodes, and I don't think they fall into the 'wilfully obscure' category ..... Wikipedia would suggest that any pre-1974 LP has to be barcode-free, although it's unclear when the record companies started to adopt them, whether they were early adopters, or if they took them up in the late 1970s or later....

Music Collector for me. I can export the collection to a version on my phone and have the listing with me whenever I need. It also allows the import of a (formatted) text file if you have your collection already catalogued in some other way. It does do the hand-held scanner thing (although I haven't got one) and can automatically scan CDs when you load them into your PCs CD tray.

For regularising the front edge profile of vinyl on Expedit, my method is to get wooden battens 1" x 1/2" cut into lengths that fit into the apertures, fixed by a couple of countersunk screws, sprayed dark brown or left natural, depending on the unit is it.

These leave the spine of the record about 1" from the front, and makes browsing easier and stops any falling down the back there.

Other methods are also available, including the comedy 90 degree inversion pile up that some favour.

DS

Similarly, I use L shaped plastic extrusion glued in reverse at the back to keep the albums all lined up.

advertisement

Back