advertisement

Who still uses a cassette deck

My Nak has just arrived safely at B&W for full service and re-calibration back to factory spec. This pleases me greatly. 6 week turnaround time though. All good things worth waiting for.

Had my Nak BX125 ( Simple 2 head deck) serviced by B&W in Novembr 2011
Started with Tandberg R2R in 70s
Had Logic 7 R2R for a while but was unimpressed by reliability.
Pioneer cassette , I think it was 9100 or that might have been the amp.
Revox B77 R2R bought new still going strong

I have a cassette deck, an old TEAC, never used it for recording in a decade but still have a few (not many) cassettes so don't really want to get rid of it.

Discovered an old John Peel show from the early 80s recorded on one cassette the other day actually, was quite fun listening to it :D

Just bought a mint Nak BX150 for £39 from a second hand shop
Demagged and cleaned head sounds fab :)

Alan

I've got a Nak CR3, and after Gaius posted about prerecorded cassettes I bought a few at the grand price of 10p each from a charity shop. He was right - amazing quality.

Revox b215, previously nak zx7, previously Yamaha k320.

still listen to cassetes I recorded back in 1980s, and so much easier to record something than on a cdr recorder.............

Dug out my Aiwa cassette deck recently and downloaded Audacity to digitise my pre-recorded cassettes. Mmmm, not a success and probably easier to buy used CDs from the usual suspects on the auction site.

I have one of these as a main player:

34bccf4c8858e7336edb28c98ea14ec5.jpg

with one of these sat upstairs not being used.

15673d4c13c923efdccfb5fb62dfe35a.jpg

Both good sounding decks but the Akai has the edge.

That Technics is a fundamentally good deck but I'm told the SQ is ruined by some component choices. Alex Nikitin (ANT Audio) has made a few very straightforward changes to this deck and reportedly acheived stunning results.

In stock form I found the RS-B965 was easily outperformed by the RS-BX808/828 - the latter remains the best of the Technics decks (in stock form) in my opinion. Over the years I have owned or listened to just about all the best of the Technics range.

I have a Nakamichi deck. I'm pretty sure it is a DR3 but I haven't used it for a couple of years so I can't be sure of the model number......(sigh)...memory going with old age....

That Technics is a fundamentally good deck but I'm told the SQ is ruined by some component choices. Alex Nikitin (ANT Audio) has made a few very straightforward changes to this deck and reportedly acheived stunning results.

In stock form I found the RS-B965 was easily outperformed by the RS-BX808/828 - the latter remains the best of the Technics decks (in stock form) in my opinion. Over the years I have owned or listened to just about all the best of the Technics range.

Agreed - I had a 965 for a while and was under-whelmed by the sonics. Similar situation with a Denon DRM-800A, and an Aiwa AD-6900. I've had two 6900's, they looked amazing but were a pig to work on and didn't sound that great either.

Can't beat a Nak IMO. Although amongst the 10-or-so Naks in my house there is a Tandberg 3034. Tandbergs are also amongst the very best.

Yes, I went through two DRM-800As and found them both strangely unengaging to listen to, despite working faultlessly and being obviously well aligned. The DR-M44HX was a nicer sounding deck, if plagued with a weird kind of opaqueness to the sound that rather ruined what could have been a fantastic deck.

One of my favourite sounding decks was actually an Aiwa - the AD-F770. I had (and still have) two of them and they have the engagement factor in spades. They sound nicer than the AD-F990, which may have been too clever for its own good. However, nothing touches either of the Nak ZX-9s I use for out and out performance. Astonishing machines in every respect and not far off good R2R, which remains top of the tree as far as I'm concerned.

Really miss my Teac C3. Spares dried up so ended up ditching it. Currently use a mint Nakamichi DR-3 just so that I can occasionally listen to my cassette collection.

You guys have got me remembering my first Cassette deck in the early 80s which was a Pioneer CT 506 (as featured in this Youtube video)
- it sure was bang tidy, I think I need to find one on ebay for pure the hell of it

Nostalgia = VU Meters :D

Ah!!!--That brings back memories-I had one of those in 78 as part of a Pioneer x50H rack system,which had the PL514 record deck,Sa506 amp and tu606 tuner,i swopped the pioneer speakers for a nicde pair of Audiomaster mls2's
I had the system for many years and sold it to a friend,when i upgraded.
The best Cassette deck i had was a Nakamichi DR1,which was excellent,i currently have a nice 3-head Sony which gets too little use today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Occasional burst of nostalgia leads me to turn on my Nakamichi bx125 but its getting old and I am too mean to get it serviced.

advertisement

Back